Attaching light to object dynamically with papyrus?

AvelonHellfyre

Is it possible to attach a light source to an object via script? I have 20 tabs open and have viewed over 150 pages and performed 44 google searches across 6 hours trying to make Candlelight without the floating orb. Attaching one object to another just isn't a documented thing for this game, yet light sources must be attached to objects sometimes, otherwise how would torches and mage lights function? :blink:

The 'Light' spell archetype appears to create the orb, NOT PRODUCE LIGHT, and then the associated item is the light effect itself. Meaning the light orb is hard-coded to exist in every instance of an unscripted 'light' spell. *headdesk* Why, Bethesda, why???

Torches are lights that have a model and are flagged as 'can carry'.

The most basic thing I want to do (and yes I can think of a few other things I'd use this for, besides) is to make an actor a light source. i.e. your wife, your horse, your dog, your summoned creature, your self... The next extension of such a script would be making small alterations like atronachs and wisps emitting actual light. Seriously, if not for the hard-coded ball of suck, the 'light' spell effect could be used to create a series of about 10 effects so that things that should emit light will actually do so, and I have no stinking idea why Bethesda didn't do this to begin with.

:devil:

The trick is that just setting it to the light archetype isn't enough.

Creation Kit doesn't actually give you access to all the settings.

So making a new magic effect and setting it to light archetype isn't enough.

Some necessary settings that aren't visible aren't being changed.

You need to copy and paste a candlelight/magelight MGEF and edit it from there

You can crack open one of my mods, it's called GELO and take a quick look at how I implemented it if you like.

the relevant MGEF you are looking for is called Torchlight in my mod.

and no the light orb shouldn't be hardcoded to exist.

It's one of the visual effects, just remove it.

Edited by GrimyBunyip

*stunned* It can really be as simple as being a magic effect? So you can just have an ability to attach to atronachs to make them emit light without the glowing orb? Holy crap.

*headdesk* All day. All day today.

Thank you!

Side-note: I was || this close to getting GELO to begin with when I first saw it, wish I'd known you'd done that. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• 1 year later...

For anyone else Googling this info, here's how it's done:

Create a new Magic Effect and set the Archetype to Light, Casting Type to Constant Effect, Delivery to Self, Assoc Item to one of the Light effects (Torch01 is the default Torch like the burning stick-type, without the burning stick, and MagicLightLightSpell01 is like Candlelight or Magelight, just without the glowing ball).

Base Cost and Skill Usage are not required.

Under the Visual Effects block, all you need to set here is the Casting Light and the Hit Effect Art. Casting Light is the Light you'll see, Hit Effect Art is the "explosion" that occurs when the spell is cast. I tried it without setting this, and nothing happened. I had to pick a Hit Effect.

Save that Magic Effect (by clicking OK and whatever else you have to do at that point) and continue to Step 2:

Step 2:

Create a new Enchantment, and select your newly-created Magic Effect as the Effect, then click OK.

Open the Enchantment back up and set it as its own Base Enchantment. (You can't do this until it's been saved in the list of available Enchantments, which is why you have to OK it then re-open it).

OK it again and then pick an item to put it on, then drop one of those items into the world somewhere.

As for the original question regarding Flame and Frost Atronachs casting light, it does work. You have to put the enchantment on a wearable item, then create a new Outfit for them with that item, then assign the Outfit to them in their Inventory page. The only one that is done differently is the Storm Atronach - you have to add the wearable item to its existing Outfit.

(edited for glaring stupidity)

Edited by DrNewcenstein

• 2 weeks later...

Create a new Magic Effect and set the Archetype to Light, Casting Type to Constant Effect, Delivery to Self, Assoc Item to one of the Light effects (Torch01 is the default Torch like the burning stick-type, without the burning stick, and MagicLightLightSpell01 is like Candlelight or Magelight, just without the glowing ball).

Under the Visual Effects block, all you need to set here is the Casting Light and the Hit Effect Art. Casting Light is the Light you'll see, Hit Effect Art is the "explosion" that occurs when the spell is cast. I tried it without setting this, and nothing happened. I had to pick a Hit Effect.

Save that Magic Effect (by clicking OK and whatever else you have to do at that point) and continue to Step 2:

Step 2:

Create a new Enchantment, and select your newly-created Magic Effect as the Effect, then click OK.

Open the Enchantment back up and set it as its own Base Enchantment. (You can't do this until it's been saved in the list of available Enchantments, which is why you have to OK it then re-open it).

OK it again and then pick an item to put it on, then drop one of those items into the world somewhere.

As for the original question regarding Flame and Frost Atronachs casting light, it does work. You have to put the enchantment on a wearable item, then create a new Outfit for them with that item, then assign the Outfit to them in their Inventory page. The only one that is done differently is the Storm Atronach - you have to add the wearable item to its existing Outfit.

Just wanted to tell you . . . your post for posterity worked (got here from google)

• 2 months later...

Create a new Enchantment, and select your newly-created Magic Effect as the Effect. Set it as its own Base Enchantment.

I did as described and put the enchantment on some items (helmet, boots, shield, a.s.o.). As soon as I equip them, the light shows ... quite dark and very limited range, but it shows up. Great. Then, about 2 seconds later, it turns off. Regardless which light I use. Any idea how to fix that? Also a little "lighter" (less dark) and bigger radius would be great ^^

• 7 months later...

Duplicate an existing light

I did as described and put the enchantment on some items (helmet, boots, shield, a.s.o.). As soon as I equip them, the light shows ... quite dark and very limited range, but it shows up. Great. Then, about 2 seconds later, it turns off. Regardless which light I use. Any idea how to fix that? Also a little "lighter" (less dark) and bigger radius would be great ^^

If you haven't already used a custom light, Duplicate an existing light and increase the radius and fade from there.

• 1 year later...

Step 2:

I was able to make it work finally but there is one bug with light FX flicker and pulse, if the magic effect use casting type : constant effects and delivery on self the light flicker fx will not work at all but if you use fire and forget and aimed then the light flicker fx work.

That really weird and obviously a bug.

Edited by dovapix

• 1 year later...

I was able to make it work finally but there is one bug with light FX flicker and pulse, if the magic effect use casting type : constant effects and delivery on self the light flicker fx will not work at all but if you use fire and forget and aimed then the light flicker fx work.

That really weird and obviously a bug.

Could you or anybody explain this further?

• 9 months later...

am trying very hard to get this working for a set of armor

so far no luck, but will keep trying for the rest of the day if anyone has any extra tips/tricks

EDIT .. I found a "way" to make this work for me..

I missed the part above where someone explains you have to copy/duplicate the candelight magic effect in order for this to work.

Edited by javaplaza