TES V: Skyrim and ENB

lloydmaster122

So, I've tried many ENB files so far into my game, but alas, none of which seem to work out well performance wise.

Some of the ENB's I have tried are as follows:

• Sharpshooter's V 1.0
  • Sharpshooter's V 2.0
  • The Wilds ENB (wrapper CoT edition)

None of these ENB's seem to give the performance minimum that I would like.

What files may be holding back the performance of gameplay, or fps?

What are some alternative ENB mods with similar looks but a lesser fps drop?

Edit:

I have also tried a new third-party fps counter, and saw a great difference from the previous counter, which is unsettling to say the least. My new average fps count is 30-35 with all of my mods installed and in use, and without ENB more importantly.

Adding an ENB now will lower my fps to an unplayable 10-15, maybe? The fps seemed to lower when looking out into a large distance (which is expected) and when looking at things closer and without having many objects in view, the fps was 45 and above.

A simple stroll through Whiterun kept the fps at a solid 30. Is there possibly one way to uncap my fps if capped? Or maybe use my gpu/cpu to a higher extent? I know not a lot about computers unfortunately, so there is little insight I can add to this general information...

Edited by lloydmaster122

What files may be holding back the performance of gameplay, or fps?

As I said before, ENBs DOF and SSAO are normally the two most taxing parts of ENBs. Open enbseries.ini, go to [EFFECT] and set the lines to these: EnableAmbientOcclusion=false and EnableDepthOfField=false. Other than looking for ENB presets based on the latest ENB version possible, and swapping around the enbeffectprepass.fx (dof file - if you're adamant to have dof) then threre's not much that can be done.

What are some alternative ENB mods with similar looks but a lesser fps drop?

I wouldn't call the following "similar" but as far as general alternatives go...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/131

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23364

Plus if you want an ENB that'll not affect lighting but will provide extra effects such as shadow fix, an optimised SSAO, possible DOF etc. then you could try this out (with or without one of the two mods listed directly above)...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34014

Edited by LargeStyle

DOF, Reflections and SSAO are the main performance reducers. If you disable Bokeh in enbeffectprepass.fx you might help DoF a little. Reflections and SSAO depend on Quality, Scale and filters. Zero (0) is highest setting for Quality and Filter. Sourcescale and Scale range from 0.0 to 1.0, even higher if you want to fiddle with it. With a 660M, I'd go with 2 quality and filter settings, and adjust scale until I get my fps...

• 2 weeks later...

DOF (Depth of Field): Blurs/smears portions of screen in which your character is not focused upon.

Reflections: Reflects color/images on certain surfaces in the presence of adequate light.

SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion): A technique used to render.

I've tried to summarize the three aspects of a typical ENB above. If I am incorrect, please feel free to fix anything I've stated.

By the looks of it, I would not be too interested in keeping these files activated with the ENB running.

Are there any before/after pictures showing these file active/inactive respectively?

If these files were disabled, how much fps loss would I have, approximately?

I truly would like my game to run at its steady 30-35 fps to keep performance there, but I love the color, vibrancy, and effects of ENBs.

Thanks again!