SKYRIM ON A MAC *WITH MODS* (legal HA, and without parallels/VMware)

infinityhero

okay, so i did everything you said and it worked but only for certain mods. most armor or weapon mods work but mods that change the game more dramatically don't work. for example i really want to install the rifted thief edition mod but when i do it absolutely nothing changes however the tribunal robes mod work just fine. If you know why or if you figure it out please help. Thank you.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, has anyone actually gotten this to work well? I have two versions of Skyrim; PS3 and Steam. I would love to be able to get either one to run on my iMac but have a feeling that the actual transfer of one version or the other may be problematical.

I have been able to find the Porting software wrapper. I downloaded it but have not installed it yet because there would be no reason without some assurance I would be able to also transfer my game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the quite complete and very well explained tutorial for mac skyrim gaming.

Practically everything works well for me (until I put some too large and heavy gram hungry textures recently, that provoked CTDs (crash to desktops for newbies (it took me some time to understand what theses were)), except for the SKSE part.

So, I played my character to level 7, modded the game with both added textures, new meshes, esp baa files, changing my plugins.txt, all the usual stuff.

Now, that's true, the game became a tad too heavy for 1GB gram, and I'll have to take off some heavy load textures for the game to play fluidly.

Now, skse, allowing to use some rather advanced mods, such as SkyUI, or ENB and so on. I put all the files where they should go, very properly; one exe files, two dll files, all in my game main dir (the same dir as TESV.exe file) and put the Scripts folder inside my data folder. All this is well.

Now, of course, the 4th point, being "launch Skyrim with skse_loader.exe". Ok, It does not work for me. I read somewhere on the net that it was a NO-NO to have sky rim with skse with cider wrapper, for a problem of no support for multiple window in cider or something like that. Your post shed some hope and light on this, and I tried what you explain (install, right-clic, open with and so on stuff, I'm used to these things, having some exe working with Wine or Winebottler) but it only launch sky rim, no skse version number shown in the esc menu.

So, any more help would be very much welcome on this matter :-).

All the best,

I still can't get mods to work for whatever reason.

When I download files, they don't show up as proper .bsa or .esm files. When I use "get info" on the original files in the data folder it clearly tells me they're Bethseda files. When I use "get info" on mine, it tells me they're text documents. I'm thinking this might be why no mods are working for me, but I can't figure out how to fix it,

Yup, I am getting to the same point as others, which is that skse is not working. I followed all the instructions to the letter and the game does open when I launch it through the skse loader, but when I start a new game I get an error that skse is not running and skyUI will not work properly. Anything to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Edited by PlotDevice1928

• 2 weeks later...

I never achieved to have skse running inside a cider wrapper. I think there is something impossible since cider can't offer multiple windows and launching skse that launches sky rim is multiple windowing.

Now I put up a bootcamp disk, to test other games too for which no wrappers work, and should put all my sky rim game in the bootcamp part of the disk, but am lazy currently, and just play in cider wrap. Ok, I do really would like to have skse working for SkyUI, advanced character editing, ENB and so on, but I struggle already with my mods to avoid CTDs, so, let's stay modest and play as it is :-).

Anyway, if a genius achieve to make skse working inside cider, please let us know!

• 4 weeks later...

Just started playing Skyrim on Mac yesterday. The base game runs for me, and several texture mods and added content mods run as well. I have the DLC's installed first on my plugins list, but when I try to use any Dawnguard dependent mod, (any one of the musket or flintlock rifles that use the crossbow animations) I crash-to-desktop shortly after the Bethesda logo goes away. I haven't played the game heavily yet, so I don't know if this means my DLC's won't work. The only mods that give me trouble are the specifically Dawnguard dependent ones.

Is it just dawnguard/hearthfires/dragonborn .esm files that need to go on plugins.txt?

Or do I need to include the .bsa files as well? I never heard of them needing to be included on the list.

Where does update.esm figure into the load order?

Thanks for the brilliant Mac guide! Once I get the musket problem cleared up, I can't wait to try and run SKSE on Mac.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Thank you for your great install tutorial InfinityHero. I was just wondering how to install skyUi 1.4 after skse is successfully installed (which it is). I have tried to install skyUI but it will not work any tips or tutorials? please help if you can thy.

• 5 weeks later...

So, I'm pretty new to this but let me start with a thank you! This tutorial has made a wonderful Skyrim experience possible with the comfort of my trusty MBPr.

However, there's something I don't understand... When I look at the load order of my mods in the Skyrim launcher's Data Files I'm lost. None of my mods should overlap or modify the same thing, I just want to ensure that I use a good order. I used the order for the Unofficial Patches as they suggested:

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Hearthfires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

But I don't understand the mechanics here. Does that mean the Unofficial Skyrim Patch is at the top of the order list and therefore comes first and foremost? Because I've also heard what comes last in the list is what "wins." I currently have my list set up, from top to bottom, in the order of personal importance and usage in the game. The less important, seldom-used mods are down at the bottom, while the important patches/textures/etc are at the top under the Unofficial Patches. What's correct here? What do I need to keep in mind?