SKYRIM ON A MAC *WITH MODS* (legal HA, and without parallels/VMware)

infinityhero

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing this or using BootCamp would actually have me end up with a worse game, ha ha. My real video card is a Radeon 5870 with 1GB of VRAM, so that would be CTD city. Under VMWare Fusion (newer versions, from around early 2019, I think), I can emulate 3GB of VRAM, plus give the VM 6 GB of RAM (using 9 total, out of my 48, and assigning the VM 1/3 or 1/2 of my 12 cores).

Windows, and thus Skyrim running in Windows, in that VM treats the emulated VRAM as if real. I can't run a very high-res game, but it's playable with crashes here and there, though I have enough mods installed to cause most people's brains to melt, so the crashing is on me. When this was closer to vanilla, it hardly ever crashed.

If I tried to that outside the VM, no way it would work, because I would only have 1/3 as much VRAM available, and while it would run briefly in a smoother fashion, it would CTD as soon as I went to a texture-intensive area like Whiterun or Riften.

Anyway, for people who are using a mid-2010s Mac Pro with an upgraded video card that has real VRAM of 3GB or more, the method outlined here is probably good. I've done similar things with other less crash-prone games, using WineSkin. The methodology itself is fine; the problem is Oldrim's memory limitations x its memory requirements.

In my case, I'm going to just build a real Windows box, very soon. Already ordering parts. I demand ENB! (I actually can run it, but in the VM the presets I've tried just kill the FPS too much, so I just use ENB's memory patch, without the graphics effects.)

2010 MacbookPro

So got ahold of the game, using ways. Actually just copied the data file into Wineskin from my cider file. Which may be the start of my problems.

So long story short, after a few hours of setting things up (Shout out to the original poster- Thanks so much for this) and confirming the game and skis worked perfectly, I moved on to the task of enabling my mods.

So the Data Files option from the SkyrimLaucher.exe is out. Was gray, but found a way to modify the SkyrimPrefs.ini file to enable it. So I tried Data Files again in the launcher and it was, indeed, enabled but, when I click it the link, it freezes. I don't know. Any help on this would be appreciated. Would solve everything actually. At this point the game still functions normally.

So now I'm manually editing the Plugins.txt file- or files rather. There's a %USERPROFILE% and an %ALLUSERPROFILES% folder in which I had to make all the folders and txt files necessary. No change to in game mod functionality, but the game still works fine.

Next step was to search for other locations where this file *should* be. Finally I come across something promising in users/Wineskin/Local Settings/Application Data/Skyrim where I find the DLCList.txt containing a list of all the mods I'd dragged and dropped into my data folder in alphabetical order. Somehow. GREAT. So I make a copy of my earlier Plugin.txt file and drop it in this folder. Game no longer opens. NOT GREAT.

Without the file, game works. With the file, no chance. So I checked out the load order. Took away half at first, then half of that, till there were only three left. Then I eliminated those as well. I don't think it's a load order issue because even a single mod on the list would effectively disable the game. The only two files that could be listed were Skyrim.esm and Update.esm- which run by default. Even the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp listed by itself disables the game.

It seems as if the game is detecting that the .esm files are there- hence the generated DLCList.txt file. The game must also know to look for Plugins.txt in this folder, because it's responsive to its presence.

Mods I'm currently trying to use are:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Anders.esp
ApachiiHairMales.esm
CinematicFireFX.esp
ElMensUnderwear.esp
Haute Coiffure.esm
Hirsute Beards.esp
immersive roads.esp
Marriable Erik Defender Handsome.esp
Moss - Legendary.esp
Moss.esp
Moss_DB.esp
Northfires Photoreal Mountains.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim - Light.esp
sexyroggi2.esp
Skyrim Save System Overhaul.esp
SOS - Male Vanila Armor Cloths Conversion Custom.esp
SOS - Revealing Armors.esp
SOS Underwear for Both Genders by Erundil.esp
SVBeardsSE.esp
TwilightPrincessSoundpack.esp
I'm sure I'm probably missing something simple. Any ides?