Daggerfall Unity

Pellape

Well it is an Oblivion forum but I do wanna share my thoughts about this old forgotten game that suddenly woke up with Daggerfall Unity from its slumber again. I did played it 1995 and would never guessed I would enjoy replaying it and so does a lot of other old gamers seems to do and also new ones of course.

I do this also to not get to bored by only playing and modding Oblivion so lets peek at what has changed.

1. The graphics. With the mod DREAM and other cool mods at both Nexus and at the Unity forum is extremely well made and the way you walk and fight and move is more like the modern games than in original Daggerfall, which was a bit odd really.
  2. New quests and questlines that are more RP Oriented.

Damn I hit the save button to early...

Edited by Pellape

One example. You are asked to take a bear for a walk. That sounds like a piece in a cake. Anything that might go wrong during that walk will go wrong as well. Last time I did it, the bear attacked me and I had to hide inside a house to calm that bloody beast.

Making new quests seems so easy as all you need is a simple notepad and there are also an quest editor available. I did peek in some of the quest text files and it is not much in them. Making quests for Oblivion seems much more complicated then it is in Daggerfall for sure. I will later try it out for sure.

The game seems 100% stable and have not crashed ones so far. Well only when I had my fan filled with dust as it do heat up the GX-card more then Oblivion. So DU aided me in solving some of my crash problems and it was my GF that told me, clean the comp as it is mostly filled with dust. The cooling system was filled to the point, that no air was able to pass it as it do have smaller tunnels where the air pass to be able to cool the flanges. It also sounds healthier now.

------------------------------------------------------

I did installed new skies and line of sight yesterday. I do think I can see some of the birth signs up in the new sky as well.

First a compare of the old and the new game:

Some screenies I took. Morrowind is a more modern game but have you ever seen such graphic in Morrowind, even heavenly modded? I do dislike the small intestinal looking dungeons in Morrowind as they are mostly ugly.

50926837343_651be885e8_o.jpg

Somone seems to like ESO as I did find this paintings and other ESO paintings all over the place.

50927642632_ee3af9b485_o.jpg

Living Icons made of sprites as the horse tail is moving back and forth

50927649547_4ffb7ef4ca_o.jpg

Sun is comming up over the city of Koegria

50930502197_6de43ae104_o.jpg

New view of distance with new skyies I did installed yesterday

50930377081_8808e7a1e7_o.jpg

I do not want anyone to start playing this and get away from Oblivion for sure but to point out what modding is able to do, no matter which TES game we do mod. I am so bloody impressed.

Playing Daggerfall is torture, as everyone dislikes you and it is a pain in the butt to makes them like you if that is your goal. "Kiss off" is one of the most common comments I do get :D

I never used the Etiquette nor Streetwise in Daggerfall as I mostly used Normal while speaking to others. Never use Normal. Use Blunt when you speak to commoners and Polite only when you speak with nobles and your skills increases rapidly. I did thought blunt was a way to decrease your rep but it is not. It makes you to be a commoner and talk like one. Only quests will change your rep and rep is everything this game is about really.

Edited by Pellape

I did manage to crash it yesterday, the first time ever since I cleaned the cooling system. Only ones though.

I also have a problem to start a companion quest called Lazerrun, mostly as I do not know what to do or go. When I fake start it, I do get the companion but it doesn't work exactly as described as I get a dead meat following me more or less, that do nothing and it gets named Thief, not Lazerrun.

The quest text is object oriented so it should mean that the companion can show up anywhere and I looked at it all, read everything, even my save game that is also in text format. The quest is running but... Well it is not so important but if I get it to run as it is supposed to, it will impact the immersion. It bothers me that I do not know where to go or what to do to get it work though. A new game will solve it but I do not want to start a new game, not yet.

Edited by Pellape

I did cheat some - I edited the save files to get rid of a quest and I did found my bankaccount that was 71000 so I changed it to 900000 and I bought a house at lvl 4. I do rememer that it tok me a year to buy a house 1995 and now it took a week.

What I will install and play with now is the House Decorator mod. and add some fancy stuff ;)

First I did not wanted to edit my bank account but then I thought. wtf? We do get houses immediate in Oblivion and also any modded TES game but no one made player houses for Daggerfall yet, and why? It shouldn't be that hard? ;) So I did it and I am happy to have a place to store special items at and to try other cool stuff. I did add an extra chest but it is useless as its only purpose is to be fancy and I suspected such with the decorator as well as that is exactly how the decorator works in ESO and all that wants to see those objects added by it must also use the decorator in ESO. It is all an illusion - Well all games are nothing but illusions any way... ;)

I do have problems with a quest mod I did mention, Lazerrun. It starts perfect but it do not really work as described and why? Well the version I do run of DU is 0.11 and I think that quest was made for 0.10.xx so i will DL the quest editor and see how that works, resave those quests if possible, delete them again from my save game. This is something new to me, but I should manage it I think.

I snitched some coins yesterday from an enemy inside a dungeon by mistake, the thief guild did noticed it. So I got a letter. Join us or become our enemy forever. You have 91 days to complete a mission. I really think the immersion in the quests are very well made and a separate quest package was released as will to make it even more diverse and fun.

Well Lazerrun is a bit bugged. It started to work properly after I installed airships but she keeps falling off the ship and dies. It should have an option where you tell it to stay but I do not think that is possible in Daggerfall.

Edited by Pellape

The thiefs guilds quests seems so bloody hard, specially if I do not understand what to do. I spent hours pickpocketing the same target as that is what I thought the quest was about. The quests are simple text files, so I read it to see if I could get a bit wiser, and I did. The target needs to get some pain to give you the quest item but you are not allowed to kill the target. So i spent all those hours for nothing... Well I did get some pickpocket skill ticks. Thievery is so much harder in Daggerfall than it is in any other TES game.

I did a mision for the Daggerfall queen after I became member, a quest that did collide and conflict with the TG so they sent agents at me, telling me that even if I am a member of the TG, hand over the stuff and I said no. They did follow me on a distance and when I killed a zombie, the thiefs attacked me and I kiiled them - My rep at TG is now -46

Reputation is everything in Daggerfall. If it is to low, the services from the guilds is not available and if you do not do quests for the guilds, your reputation will drop ones every month, which means you will always have to work for your guild as there is no end and the quests never stops as they rotate with slight random places to go, random stuff to get of random dungeons to complete. Everything in this game is so random and Object Oriented. No quest script have any solid places, names or objects. The only info to get from the quest txt files are, that an object will show up at some tavern somewhere and that someone might be there as well and you have 30 days to complete it. :) Very cool in some way.

It should be possible to make similar in Oblivion but not as easy as the quests there are more static, but if we script the quests, we do have RAND that could make them less static. The difference between those games are huge that way.

I did fly around with my airship and what can I say? Daggerfall is extremely big to the surface and it is possible to fly and cross all borders which I did not know. It must be the biggest world ever created for a game, all crappy MMORPG's incuded.