Why was Cyber Engine Tweaks removed from Nexus Mods?

sunreaver123

This one change has made at least 60% of Nexus useless for CP77. So many mods depended upon it and now, gone. There is no easy or even moderately difficult way to check for updates to CET and having been on the github site the file is not available there either at the moment (or at least I cannot find it or even check the version number). Seems that CET is no more and along with it goes 500+ nexus mods that required it. Another horrible blow to CP77.

Settle down dudes, it's just moved off-site, best way to find out about updates....the way I do it anyway, just wait for a notification from one of your mods on the nexus that it has been updated for 2077/CET, and then follow their link back to update CET, first. Simple.

Both Skyrim and Fallout 4 are dependent on mods, 'Script extenders' that are off site.

We'll be right.....I hope :wink:

The reason Cyber Engine Tweaks was removed was be cause of the following:

yggdrasil75 (a NexusMods Moderator): it was removed because the nexus moderation staff asked him to remove the telemetry and he said "no"

source: https://github.com/yamashi/CyberEngineTweaks/issues/476

imho I'm with Nexus Mods on this and too be frank we need an alterative Cyber Engine Tweaks way tooo many mods depend on that one mod.

The author of Cyber Engine Tweaks has since removed the telemetry but it still stands they could add it back in and not tell any one, unless some one was looking into the code.

Edited by zeronuke247

The reason Cyber Engine Tweaks was removed was be cause of the following:

yggdrasil75 (a NexusMods Moderator): it was removed because the nexus moderation staff asked him to remove the telemetry and he said "no"

source: https://github.com/yamashi/CyberEngineTweaks/issues/476

imho I'm with Nexus Mods on this and too be frank we need an alterative Cyber Engine Tweaks way tooo many mods depend on that one mod.

The author of Cyber Engine Tweaks has since removed the telemetry but it still stands they could add it back in and not tell any one, unless some one was looking into the code.

my I ask but what is telemetry?

There were two concerns with CET that were brought to our attention which prompted us to contact yamashi/awpsoleet about it. You can view a breakdown of the events here.

However, it's worth noting that since then the site owner, Dark0ne, has spoken to yamashi as well and an exchange of arguments pro/contra including telemetry in a mod has taken place. Unfortunately, we had to agree to disagree and yamashi ultimately decided to take CET off Nexus Mods, which is his right to do, as it is ours to have rules in place that we believe are for the benefit of the wider modding community.

I agree that there are too many mods that are dependent on CET and we desperately need an alternative. I think we will need to delete CET asap.

Do we know for certain that CET only sends a ping when someone installs CP2077 with CET? Can anyone verify that there is nothing else in the code. It would be extremely distressing if CET has been abusing that exploit that it claimed to have fixed. Moreover, the timing of the release of CP2077 Hotfix 1.12 and the removal of CET is just too close for comfort.

I've been using Nexus since Dragon Age Origins and it's the only site I trust to download mods from.

I'm too paranoid to continue using CET from github.com.

Hopefully someone will be able to step up and save us all. Lol.

Edited by sunreaver123

You said it yourself, your problem is paranoia, not a mod that is opensource and has hundreds of eyes on.

Regarding nexus' intervention, they left out the part where a moderator came to github to insult and antagonize me publicly.

Regardless let's reopen it on nexus and see how it goes, hopefully they make things right on their end.

You said it yourself, your problem is paranoia, not a mod that is opensource and has hundreds of eyes on.

Regarding nexus' intervention, they left out the part where a moderator came to github to insult and antagonize me publicly.

Regardless let's reopen it on nexus and see how it goes, hopefully they make things right on their end.

Assuming you are referring to the comments left on GitHub here - yes, we're very sorry one of our volunteer moderators left those comments and, as the site owner Dark0ne said to you and others on Discord over the weekend, we were very unhappy with them for doing so. I have since talked to yggdrasil about it and he understands it was wrong of him.

That being said I am glad to see you brought CET back - thank you for that. As Dark0ne and I said in our respective messages - we're always open to having a dialogue, so please feel free to message us if there are any issues going forward.