Forum search has been broken for a while, known issue?

xtcrefugee

Just in case nobody else has reported this yet, the forum search for the "White" theme has been broken here for a while. If you try and use the search bar at the top it sends you to https://forums.nexusmods.com/app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 which is invalid - it looks like the index.php? before app=core is being omitted.

The Underground theme search works as expected.

Just in case nobody else has reported this yet, the forum search for the "White" theme has been broken here for a while. If you try and use the search bar at the top it sends you to https://forums.nexusmods.com/app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 which is invalid - it looks like the index.php? before app=core is being omitted.

Sorry to hear about the issues. We don't really support anything other than the default (underground) theme and mobile theme so I'm not really sure how the White theme got broken.

Forum search is something we'd have to disable because the forum is so big now that frequent searching will cause considerable performance problems. It's not ideal, I know. At some point in the future we'll hopefully start to migrate our discussions off the forum and onto a new platform where searching will be easier.

The IPBoard forum is a great tool and serves as a backbone to many parts of the website, however, as we didn't write the software we keep coming up against limitations which we have very little power to control. Search is unfortunately one of these cases.

Sorry to hear about the issues. We don't really support anything other than the default (underground) theme and mobile theme so I'm not really sure how the White theme got broken.

Forum search is something we'd have to disable because the forum is so big now that frequent searching will cause considerable performance problems. It's not ideal, I know. At some point in the future we'll hopefully start to migrate our discussions off the forum and onto a new platform where searching will be easier.

The IPBoard forum is a great tool and serves as a backbone to many parts of the website, however, as we didn't write the software we keep coming up against limitations which we have very little power to control. Search is unfortunately one of these cases.

Sorry to say this (not really) but when you have links to functions that no longer work, you need to get rid of those links. Sure, I can understand Nexus has other priorities, but hey, this only proves you desperately need to sort your priorities. You can't run a website the size of Nexus without doing the proper maintenance. And if it's an issue, hire more people. And if you can't pay 'em, seek volunteers with the appropriate knowledge. I know nothing works perfect and issues and problems will always occur. But damn fellows, a site with the magnitude (and magnificence) of Nexus should be able to provide some kind of proper usage of the basic functions of the site, no?

It's not really feasible for Nexus (or anyone else) to go around modifying core functionality of the forum package. Though Nexus is using an ancient and unsupported copy of the package so maybe hacking it to bits would be a temporary solution.

I can understand why they'd not want to do this though. IPB's codebase is made of only the finest spaghetti one can write in PHP.

I can understand why they'd not want to do this though. IPB's codebase is made of only the finest spaghetti one can write in PHP.

I would imagine our devs agree whole heartedly. When the forum needs fixing you can actually see them die a little bit inside :tongue:

Seriously though, the IPBoard code isn't our own which makes it hard to work with. You may also be underestimating how crucial the forum is to the site at the moment. One change to something fairly innocent could cause a cascade of failures somewhere else. So it's often not worth the risk to prod around in a code-base that you don't fully understand.

Trust me, I know. Their code is awful and I'm aware you've based a lot of the site's functionality on how it behaves. Messing with that could be dangerous. At the same time though, leaving it in the state it's in now can be just as bad with the version you're using being so badly out of date. Not a situation I'd want to be in as a developer.