Mod Idea

Geonox

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I strongly suggest you start thinking about this with a bit of realism. Multiple planets, each 2-3 times the size of Morrowind? Not going to happen in this lifetime, at least not without a massive team working full time. Get your ambition under control and then start the planning over from the beginning.

Oh, and a few free Star Wars models are not going to complete your modeling work. So you get a few ships... you've still got buildings, characters, items, etc. You're talking about hundreds of models (by a conservative estimate). 90% of the stuff you want simply doesn't exist, and most of what does exist is intended for rendered images/animations, not a realtime game. The poly counts are far too high for game use.

How about making a mod similar in length and size to a small Dungeons and Dragons campaign?

You could pick one or two planets (whatever the storyline requires) and then make a few areas for each planet accessable by "activators" (ships, people, and um doors-.-)

What I'm saying is: Make a tiny little version of KOTOR... in the Morrowind engine. :)

Granted, there would still be a shitload of models, textures, animations etc... to do. I think, though, if you sound confident, do a lot of work yourself and have a focus on what you want to accomplish then you could get a team together.

You could actually pull this off, which would be a great service to us players and it'd be a learning experience for you.

GO FOR TEH GLOD GEO!!!111oneonehaxor

~Valdir

@ Peregrine: Yeah well that's the main problem next to the ship controlling problem, the size. However with a good team I think this can be done. But I could make it a bit smaller. Morrowind seems big enough for me, well at least for a small planet like tatooine. Then about the models. I can get 8 to 10 models for each planet. Which seems enough for me to build a city. IF I can use the models. If not I can still model it myself. One building can be done in 1 or 2 days (well at least I can do it in 1 or 2 days). Just like the new heads and races. Heads can also be made in 1 or 2 days. The Black panther head was made in one day. Then again, it should be a lot of moddeling and I still don't know for sure if I'm going to start putting a team toghether.

But it was just an idea and wanted to know if ppl like this idea and see if it would acctually be possible to make something like this. ^_^

But your right about the polycount. It would be to large :( It would be realy cool if this idea worked but hey I think I'd better keep on making small mods instead of working on large scale mods.

I agree with pergerine, you don't understand. Here's a task that should help you and give us all an idea of what you're planning on. Create one exterior cell, representing los isle (the starport from the first movie). Make all the interior cells for the town. Dont even put any NPCs or Creatures or anything yet, no scripting, quests, or ANYTHING. When you've accomplished that, make it into an ESM (using the enhanced editor(google people)) and put it up for download. After you've gotten that far, creat one original creature that moves, has attacks and bevior and everything. If you can accomplish this and still wnat to do the mod, I will believe in your idea. And probably others too.

Also, I suugest you check out the Alien vs Predator mod or Giants, go through and count the number of files.

yeah well I was also thinkin about that. When I thought more about it I realized that I was going to far. 3 or 4 different landmass which have the size of 2 or 3 times morrowind?! So I dropped that idea and I'm now thinking about keeping the original mod on one planet which is going to be the same size as morrowind, or mabey even smaller. But still not sure if I'm realy going to start putting a team together, coz I know making a large mod is a lot of work, so I think it just stays with an idea...but who knows ^_^

well that's the point, the size. I don't know what kind of size the planet has to be. But it can't be to large. Btw travelling through space is possible. But getting to other planets will be more difficult. In the starwars game galaxies I thought you were also not able to buy your own ship (they are making an expansion which allows you to do this I thought). But there will be an reason in the story if you cannot travel in space. Like you are to poor to buy your own ship which can fly through space etc. But still I think it would be very cool if you can fly to another planet coz it seems to me that the game will be kind of boring if you are stuck the whole time on a planet like tatooine.

Here's a model which I've done today in less than 10 min. (this does not means that I'm realy going to make this mod but I just want to see how many times it takes to make a model)

It's a model of the slave quaters in mos espa. It's just the front side of the building, the rest will be added later.

btw if your thinking, what are the slave quaters check this pic:

http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/TPM/pics/Rowhouses.jpg

One possibility might be to base at least the start on a "primitive" world. That'll mean you can use the base Morrowind meshes until you can flesh out a storyline and think of the necessary scripts for the complex stuff. That'll also support a more modular style of creation - if the primitive world is just coming into contact with the more advanced starwars planets then slowly over time new techs will be added and later areas can have any new meshes you've created.

This might help making the mod more doable.

Yup well the idea is nice of creating a more primitive world but the thing is. There's no primitive world in the starwars universe, well there are some but they aren't interesting enough to play or start with. I think if I'm going to start this project I'll make one base planet, like tatooine. And create a storyline for that planet. I will disable space travelling in this story cos there aren't any planets to fly to. Mabey you will think no spacetravelling? Boring! But I'll try to make the storyline more interesting so that it doesn't matter that you'll be staying on one planet.

EDIT:

oeh looklook. Just finished the textures for the slave quaters, don't mind the doors it's just for the preview.

Archived