Flagging my file as an esm breaks quests

DolorousJohn

Hi, I'm pretty new to New Vegas modding and I've been teaching myself (through trial and error lol) how to use the Geck and other tools. Most issues I've figured out eventually but this one I just cant seem to find the right info on.

When I flag my mod as an ESM through either FNVedit or Wrye Flash, and change the file extension, it breaks not the actual stages of the quest, they work fine, activators, triggers and dialogue, all fine. Its just the objectives aren't changing for whatever reason. It works fine when its an esp. It's driven me pretty nuts, seeing as 9/10 times my issues are user error, and I'm hoping the same is true here too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as flagging the mod as an ESM seems to fix a lot of other issues, like navmesh issues and followers not appearing.

Edited by DolorousJohn

Please see 'TIP - Master files' under the "Common Problems with GECK" section, and also the "ESM and ESP Files" entries under the "Misc Topics" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

Hope that provides some insight. Others with more experience will need to pick up any further questions.

-Dubious-

Make sure everything in your quest is checked as a persistent reference. esp files mark everything as persistent references, ESMs do not in order to save memory. So if you don't check things as persistent references as an esp then convert to ESM, those things won't run scripts correctly.