You could try to make a mod. Edit a horse, and slow it down? My damn cows at my farm acts like Speedy Gonzales, not 600 km/h, but still 100 and they are set to speed 40 as I set it myself after the resource.
But try this if you do not have CS. Open the console and click a horse, well it is best you use your horse and type
And lets say you get 33 as that is what the black horse have so now we want to decrease it.
All our values are doubled. We have an actual value and a modvalue and you can see that your self in your character skill or attribute window when you press [F1], you have 2 rows, 1st shoew the base value and the second the modded value and mostly they are the same. I do suspect something modded the horses modvalue. I changed my Rooster aggression with the wrong value so he got aggression 450 until I sorted that one out.
Changing the horses base value. Open the console and click the bloody horse.
SetAv Speed 20
will set the base value to 20
If we just wanna modvalue it: Open console and click it and type
ModAv Speed -13
Try different values
The game have 40 different horse objects, so what have changed them, that would be nice to figure out. Could you post your mod list? But still, my cows are nuts. I see now they have Speed 50 when I check them in CS, so no wonder they run like crazy nuts.
Thank you for the reply/advice! yeah it is a strange issue isn't it? Perhaps the console will be the fix as it is likely a mod to attributes being the problem. I'll go ahead and try it, as I'm not sure I want to go through the effort to learn how to use the CS... but maybe if making a simple mod isn't hard I'll give it a shot! But for now, console may work.
My mod list isn't anything crazy, and as mentioned, nothing that did it directly does anything to horses, which is the weird part. I run pretty popular / normal stuff... I use MOO, I was using DR6, a basic ENB, better cities, a basic sprint mod, and recently the most ambitious thing I successfully added was unique landscapes and properly patching it all. A few things thrown in here and there which I tried out and got rid of, but again, nothing to do with horse speed. I feel like the most likely culprits are the sprint mods I tried which maybe adjusted speed attributes for all actors, or this random add on to a mod I didn't really want which rebalanced classes for all actors... could have been bugged or oversight. Or maybe conflicting with other rebalances in MOO - vanillacombat in particular did adjust movement speed of the player and creatures.
Here's the mod list anyhow...
Active Mod Files:
Next thing I'm going to check is I was recently uninstalling some shitty mod which I had to do manually unfortunately, very tedious, but I came across some interesting stuff in the meshes/creatures/horse...
various Nif's for the various types of horses, which is a given, but then a "fastforward.kf" and "backward.kf". I'm not sure if those are vanilla. Will try removing those and see what happens...
Although it is totally possible something was just installed wrong and f***ed up my game. I recently started using Wyre Bash, but previously was using TESModmanager, and definitely installing many mods entirely wrong... it's actually quite amazing I got it to work as much as I did! I've seen been slowly uninstalling (and having to comb through files manually to ensure full uninstall) and reinstalling with Bash to ensure it's all good. Considering the issue is never reported, I'm sure it's a fault of my own somehow.
UPDATE - OMG that was it! Those random .kf files were the problem! I have absolutely no idea what added those. I think I'll be using your suggestion to improve the speed of Shadowmere anyhow, as my character has 107 speed level and is even faster when using the sprint... horse is a bit impractical if it's slower huh