Very Strange Horse Speed Bug

Dylanclark1122

As title says, I'm having a very strange bug and have had it from the beginning of the game. Ignored it so far as I didn't really use horses, and if anything, it was pretty hilarious seeing black horse couriers zoom past me at 900 mph and crash into everything around them in the process (I'm not exaggerating, it's pretty wild).

But now that I want to actually use my horse to travel the world this kind of sucks. I figured it was a consequence of my sprint mod, but after deactivation, that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried deactivating and retesting gameplay with essentially every single mod I have installed that might influence player mechanics, attributes, speed, or in any way possible. The only mods I haven't tested are ones like Better Cities or Maskar's Overhaul...

I'm at a loss. I've even tried downloading new mods to manually adjust horse speed to no avail. There has to be a way to adjust horse speed in the ini or some other sort of workaround, or some way to figure out WHY horses run at 900 mph, but I've tried everything to figure out it out so far. Help appreciated :sad:

Edit: I should add that I have scoured the internet and found zero instances of similar issues.

Edited by Dylanclark1122

You could try to make a mod. Edit a horse, and slow it down? My damn cows at my farm acts like Speedy Gonzales, not 600 km/h, but still 100 and they are set to speed 40 as I set it myself after the resource.

But try this if you do not have CS. Open the console and click a horse, well it is best you use your horse and type

Getav Speed

And lets say you get 33 as that is what the black horse have so now we want to decrease it.

All our values are doubled. We have an actual value and a modvalue and you can see that your self in your character skill or attribute window when you press [F1], you have 2 rows, 1st shoew the base value and the second the modded value and mostly they are the same. I do suspect something modded the horses modvalue. I changed my Rooster aggression with the wrong value so he got aggression 450 until I sorted that one out.

Changing the horses base value. Open the console and click the bloody horse.

SetAv Speed 20

will set the base value to 20

If we just wanna modvalue it: Open console and click it and type

ModAv Speed -13

Try different values

The game have 40 different horse objects, so what have changed them, that would be nice to figure out. Could you post your mod list? But still, my cows are nuts. I see now they have Speed 50 when I check them in CS, so no wonder they run like crazy nuts.

Edited by Pellape

You could try to make a mod. Edit a horse, and slow it down? My damn cows at my farm acts like Speedy Gonzales, not 600 km/h, but still 100 and they are set to speed 40 as I set it myself after the resource.

But try this if you do not have CS. Open the console and click a horse, well it is best you use your horse and type

Getav Speed

And lets say you get 33 as that is what the black horse have so now we want to decrease it.

All our values are doubled. We have an actual value and a modvalue and you can see that your self in your character skill or attribute window when you press [F1], you have 2 rows, 1st shoew the base value and the second the modded value and mostly they are the same. I do suspect something modded the horses modvalue. I changed my Rooster aggression with the wrong value so he got aggression 450 until I sorted that one out.

Changing the horses base value. Open the console and click the bloody horse.

SetAv Speed 20

will set the base value to 20

If we just wanna modvalue it: Open console and click it and type

ModAv Speed -13

Try different values

The game have 40 different horse objects, so what have changed them, that would be nice to figure out. Could you post your mod list? But still, my cows are nuts. I see now they have Speed 50 when I check them in CS, so no wonder they run like crazy nuts.

Thank you for the reply/advice! yeah it is a strange issue isn't it? Perhaps the console will be the fix as it is likely a mod to attributes being the problem. I'll go ahead and try it, as I'm not sure I want to go through the effort to learn how to use the CS... but maybe if making a simple mod isn't hard I'll give it a shot! But for now, console may work.

My mod list isn't anything crazy, and as mentioned, nothing that did it directly does anything to horses, which is the weird part. I run pretty popular / normal stuff... I use MOO, I was using DR6, a basic ENB, better cities, a basic sprint mod, and recently the most ambitious thing I successfully added was unique landscapes and properly patching it all. A few things thrown in here and there which I tried out and got rid of, but again, nothing to do with horse speed. I feel like the most likely culprits are the sprint mods I tried which maybe adjusted speed attributes for all actors, or this random add on to a mod I didn't really want which rebalanced classes for all actors... could have been bugged or oversight. Or maybe conflicting with other rebalances in MOO - vanillacombat in particular did adjust movement speed of the player and creatures.

Here's the mod list anyhow...

Active Mod Files:

00 Oblivion.esm
01 DA Run Fatigue.esm
02 realisticleveling.esm
03 Better Cities Resources.esm [Version 6.0.13]
04 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.5.6b]
05 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
06 UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0]
07 DLCShiveringIsles.esp
08 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.9a]
09 Better Cities .esp [Version 6.0.10]
0A DLCHorseArmor.esp
0B DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.9]
0C DLCOrrery.esp
0D DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.7]
0E DLCVileLair.esp
0F DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.11]
10 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
11 DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.7]
12 DLCSpellTomes.esp
13 DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]
14 DLCThievesDen.esp
15 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.15]
16 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.14]
17 DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
18 DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.12]
19 DLCFrostcrag.esp
1A DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.10]
1B Knights.esp
1C Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.1.8]
1D DA Sprint.esp
1E brightertorches_v1.2.esp
1F bettersaves.esp
20 Encumbrance Mod-9338.esp
21 SP1stPLegs.esp
22 HUD Status Bars.esp [Version 5.3.2]
23 basic primary needs.esp [Version 6.3]
24 LoadingScreens.esp
25 droplittorchobse.esp [Version 2.4]
26 arrowspeedx3_vanilla_si.esp
27 no backwards running.esp
28 migmiscellanea.esp [Version 1.9.1]
29 Kvatch Rebuilt.esp [Version 3.0RC3]
2A Crowded Roads.esp [Version 2.0]
2B VaultsofCyrodiil.esp [Version 6.0.10]
2C Better Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.esp [Version 3.41]
2D Crowded Cities 15.esp
2E camping.esp
2F BrotherhoodRenewed.esp [Version 1.1.2]
30 BDBS - Whispered Warning Patch.esp [Version 3.41]
31 BDBS - Chapel Memorial.esp [Version 3.41]
32 BDBS - Brightest Interiors.esp [Version 3.41]
33 Dynamic Oblivion Combat.esp
34 SM Combat Hide.esp [Version 1.2]
++ MigBashing - BlockDesc.esp
35 Unique Landscapes.esp [Version Dummy]
36 xuldarkforest.esp [Version 2]
37 xulStendarrValley.esp [Version 2]
38 xulTheHeath.esp [Version 2]
39 XulEntiusGorge.esp [Version 2.0.1]
3A xulFallenleafEverglade.esp [Version 2]
3B xulColovianHighlands_EV.esp [Version 2]
3C xulBeachesOfCyrodiilLostCoast.esp [Version 2]
3D xulBravilBarrowfields.esp [Version 2]
3E xulLushWoodlands.esp [Version 2.0.1]
3F xulAncientYews.esp [Version 2]
40 xulAncientRedwoods.esp [Version 2.0.1]
41 xulCloudtopMountains.esp [Version 2.0.1]
42 xulArriusCreek.esp [Version 2.0.0]
43 xulPatch_AY_AC.esp [Version 2]
44 xulRollingHills_EV.esp [Version 2]
45 xulPantherRiver.esp [Version 2]
46 xulRiverEthe.esp [Version 2.0.1]
47 xulBrenaRiverRavine.esp [Version 2]
48 xulImperialIsle.esp [Version 2.0.1]
49 xulBlackwoodForest.esp [Version 2]
4A xulCheydinhalFalls.esp [Version 2]
4B ULE KvatchRebuilt-CheydinhalFalls patch.esp [Version 2.0]
4C xulAspenWood.esp [Version 2.0.1]
4D xulSnowdale.esp [Version 2]
4E xulCliffsOfAnvil.esp [Version 2]
4F xulSilverfishRiverValley.esp [Version 2.0.1]
50 ImpeREAL Empire - Unique Forts.esp
51 ULS ImpeREALForts-SilverfishRiverValley patch.esp [Version 2]
52 xulTheEasternPeaks.esp [Version 2.0.1]
53 xulJerallGlacier.esp [Version 2.0.1]
54 xulSkingradOutskirts.esp [Version 2.0.1]
55 Better Cities Full.esp [Version 6.0.13]
56 xulChorrolHinterland-BC6.esp [Version 2]
57 Better Cities - Open Better Cities.esp [Version 6.0.12]
58 ULS BetterCitiesSkingrad-SkingradOutskirts patch.esp [Version 2]
59 ULS BetterCitiesBravil-BravilBarrowfields patch.esp [Version 2]
5A ULS BetterCitiesCheydinhal-CheydinhalFalls patch.esp [Version 2]
5B ULS BetterCitiesBruma-Snowdale patch.esp [Version 2]
5C Better Cities Anvil Open - Knights of the Nine.esp [Version 6.0.10]
5D Better Cities Chorrol - Knights of the Nine.esp [Version 6.0.10]
5E Better Cities - Leyawiin Flooded.esp [Version 6.0.10]
5F ULE BetterCitiesBravil-PantherRiver patch.esp [Version 2]
60 Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp [Version 6.0.10]
61 Better Imperial City.esp [Version 6.0.12]
62 Bashed Patch, 0.esp
63 Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.esp [Version 4.9.4.2]

Next thing I'm going to check is I was recently uninstalling some shitty mod which I had to do manually unfortunately, very tedious, but I came across some interesting stuff in the meshes/creatures/horse...
various Nif's for the various types of horses, which is a given, but then a "fastforward.kf" and "backward.kf". I'm not sure if those are vanilla. Will try removing those and see what happens...
Although it is totally possible something was just installed wrong and f*#@ed up my game. I recently started using Wyre Bash, but previously was using TESModmanager, and definitely installing many mods entirely wrong... it's actually quite amazing I got it to work as much as I did! I've seen been slowly uninstalling (and having to comb through files manually to ensure full uninstall) and reinstalling with Bash to ensure it's all good. Considering the issue is never reported, I'm sure it's a fault of my own somehow.
UPDATE - OMG that was it! Those random .kf files were the problem! I have absolutely no idea what added those. I think I'll be using your suggestion to improve the speed of Shadowmere anyhow, as my character has 107 speed level and is even faster when using the sprint... horse is a bit impractical if it's slower huh :P

*.kf is the animation and they should not have anything to do with the speed at all. :smile: I would have never suspected that one for sure as it makes no sense. Well done.

I do not know if you took a peek inside the MOO ini files but I did and noticed that Maskar did add a lot od stuff specially to work great with WAC

I also saw you use Realistic leveling but Maskar did also make a level mod called Ultimate leveling, which is set to exp by deafult but an easy ini editing will set it to skill leveling. I like it better for 2 reasons.

1. I can watch my pets development and see in the left corner how much exp it gets per kill
  2. It do not add as much levels as Realistic Leveling does.

So whats wrong with higher levels? Well everything else gets higher too and harder to kill. I think maskar tries to find a better balance for this issue. He do mention Realistic and Oblivion Xp in his description and left you to decide which you wanna use and you can test them all as they adapt to you no matter which you run. Just some tips... :wink:

CS can be hard to start with but after you get used to it, loads of possibilities will become available. The only thing that can stop you is your imagination. :smile: The more that make new stuff, the better... :wink:

Edited by Pellape

Just an FYI ... all of the vanilla game KFs are safely tucked away in Oblivion - Meshes.bsa so if you see any in Oblivion\Data\Meshes\Characters or Meshes\Creatures etc you can be certain they came from a mod.

Yes but still... They have nothing to do with the speed in my world or knowledge... It is so damn odd... Can you explain it Striker?

I can't explain how it happens (I'm as lost as the next guy on how animations work ... well beyond a little bit that I did sort of absorb from some tutorials on the subject). I do know from experience that some walkforward KFs from mods have an effect on walkforward speed that is independent of the speed set either via the CS (so the speed you see reported by GetAV speed in the console for an NPC) or the speed you change an NPC's speed to via ModAV speed x.

For example if you assign the walkforward for an NPC via Blockhead with the walkforward KF found in NoMaaM BBB Animation Replacer extracted download's Different Walks - for NPC specialanims ONLY\BMF 0.8\WalkForward\fore 005 wobble\005nomWalkforward.kf the NPC's apparent speed while walking in game will not be any different at speed 10 than it will be at speed 100. If you don't also change their walkfastforward.kf you can easily see that the speed change is applied to the NPC (at speed 10 they won't be able to come close to keeping up with your character when following at the run, while at speed 100 they will keep up).

That might explain my cows behaviors really. Nothing in my game runs as fast as they do... But I use the kf files that was included with the resource, so it is not much I can do about it.

So how do I kill a bloody cow if I need some beef? Well I made a custom slaughter spell and the it doesn't matter how fast they are able to run as they cannot run anywhere when they are dead. Well not so far at least... :wink:

Edited by Pellape

That might explain my cows behaviors really. Nothing in my game runs as fast as they do... But I use the kf files that was included with the resource, so it is not much I can do about it.

So how do I kill a bloody cow if I need some beef? Well I made a custom slaughter spell and the it doesn't matter how fast they are able to run as they cannot run anywhere when they are dead. Well not so far at least... :wink:

Depending on the bones and such included in the cow skeleton.nif perhaps a horse skeleton.nif could be substituted (as in all Striker experiments proper backup aren't just suggested ... they are mandatory).

- Edit - Come to think of it, I don't recall the cows from Arthmoor's Sutch Village being speedy in any noteworthy way (they are rather well hidden ... look in the Data\Meshes\Artmoor\Sutch\creatures\cow folder).