Is it possible to "extract/find" the mod used by a follower ?

Spartan95470

Hello !

I'm kinda new to the world of modding, so I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about this particular subject. I'll try to put as much context as possible so you can help me accordingly ! If I am in the wrong channel please redirect me to the place I should post this.

So, there's a character made by SEXYBONO called Daedric Pei. And the author made a follower mod with it. And, I'm really looking forward using the character by installing the mods used by the author, but I came across multiples problems. He didn't put a racemenu preset to use the character as we like (I think it's the author choice or just he didn't thought about it, whatever) and so, I tried to "create" artificially the mod preset by using a mod called "Alternate Actors SE" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34448) and "swapped" by character with the follower Pei, but the result is : I don't have all the mod used by the follower to even look close it. (Please look at the pictures : https://imgur.com/a/D8RGQ9r and https://imgur.com/a/5OXIFUS)

So, I tried messing with the files of the follower mod to see which mod I was lacking to have my character look like her, and I've come across only one thread talking about it when typing the file names in google.

My main point is : is there a way to "retro-engineer" a follower mod to see what mod was used or no ? Am I doomed to look for something else ?

Thank you for reading me. ð

The follower mod itself may be using custom meshes / textures in custom locations for just that follower to use. The follower also looks like they are of a different race than the regular playable races. This means that the race menu preset won't access the correct textures as they are not available to the race selected in the race menu.

You have three options:

1. Install a mod which provides a framework for unique player appearance and then copy the follower mod's meshes and textures into the correct locations. This on the surface may be easiest but if there is an aspect of the follower not supported by the unique player framework, then the whole thing becomes a bust.
  2. Patch the follower mod plugin and assign the various records making up the follower's racial appearance to the appropriate locations for the race that you want to play. This method can get complicated quickly if one does not know their way around the appropriate records in the Creation Kit.
  3. Patch the follower mod plugin and make the follower's race playable and selectable in the race menu. Just make sure there are both regular and vampire variants. Also be sure to utilize Race Compatibility as the game won't let you progress at certain points without being recognized as one of the regular playable races.

As far as a direct answer to your question, unless the author of the follower mod has stated what mods were used to create the appearance (whether they are required or not) then it would be impossible to know.