Option For Shorter Passwords

Foxtrotsix

Hello,

I like Nexus and all that. Great stuff.

The one thing that really annoys me though is the password situation. My browsers won't autofill my password for some reason so I have to manually type it each time.

The issue is that the password requirement of 12 characters is something that I never find on any other website, so the once every week or two that I log in I have to reset my password to something that I'm just going to end up resetting anyways. It's a minor annoyance, but still kind of annoying. There's nothing for anyone to steal on here from me. It would be nice to make the password requirement a bit simpler, if I was concerned about someone figuring out my password then I'd make a better password anyways.

Just my 2 unwanted cents.

Guest deleted34304850

use a password manager. there are many and they work flawlessly.

or, if you don't trust a password manager, get yourself a little notebook and write your password in it and leave it in a draw somewhere. less safe, but workable.

i hope nexusmods go full fat on this and offer pass phrases in the future. well better than a string of n characters, can be as long as you like, and easy to remember.

Guest deleted34304850

Yeah, I see your point. My bank doesn't even have that level of security. :D

I highly doubt that is true. Finance Services is a highly regulated industry and there are stringent requirements around customer data including passwords.

However if it is true then I'd move to a bank that treats your data with respect and secures it.

I highly doubt that is true. Finance Services is a highly regulated industry and there are stringent requirements around customer data including passwords.

However if it is true then I'd move to a bank that treats your data with respect and secures it.

Doubt what you want. My bank password requires only eight characters. There is an option for two-factor authentication, but, it is an OPTION. (same as it is here.)

Longer passwords only make it more difficult to brute-force crack them. It does not make your account any more 'secure'.

Guest deleted34304850

Doubt what you want. My bank password requires only eight characters. There is an option for two-factor authentication, but, it is an OPTION. (same as it is here.)

Longer passwords only make it more difficult to brute-force crack them. It does not make your account any more 'secure'.

Yeah, okay.

I think you'd be surprised how many banking sites only let you use up to 8 chars in the password. Without even the possibility of using a longer one. It's kind of hard to find a workable banking option that also has proper levels of security, so very often we just take what we can get.

I think you'd be surprised how many banking sites only let you use up to 8 chars in the password. Without even the possibility of using a longer one. It's kind of hard to find a workable banking option that also has proper levels of security, so very often we just take what we can get.

Eight character passwords are a holdover from legacy systems, like IBM mainframes. IBM mainframe had a MAX limit of eight character passwords for decades, and in as much as many banking systems are backed on IBM Mainframes, they use the IBM Mainframe password processors. Quite a few IBM mainframe customers have not converted to the PassPhrase technology which supports passwords/phrases up to 100 characters.

... uphill, both ways, in the snow.

Guest deleted34304850

Then go to a better bank that protects you and your assets

Eight character passwords are a holdover from legacy systems, like IBM mainframes. IBM mainframe had a MAX limit of eight character passwords for decades, and in as much as many banking systems are backed on IBM Mainframes, they use the IBM Mainframe password processors. Quite a few IBM mainframe customers have not converted to the PassPhrase technology which supports passwords/phrases up to 100 characters.

This is incorrect. When you logon to your bank, you are not logging on to a mainframe. Go and read up on the latest (i.e. in the last decade at least) security requirements for mainframe systems. You're trying to conflate something from 20-odd years ago into the current day and age for some reason and it's embarassing to read, to be honest.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8