[LE] first time trying to make a mod

MidMist

I am trying to make a mod for the first time and am wanting to start out small and do something at the beginning of the Skyrim SE game so I can see that it works and make sure that I do it correctly.

my goal is to have Ralof un bind my hands right after speaking to Ulfric and before you climb the stairs to jump into the next building, instead of waiting till you get into the fort before you get your hands un bound.

is there anyone who wouldn't mind walking me though it, I want to learn how to do it so that I will know how to move already existing script to tweak the game a little?

Edited by MidMist

If this is your first time modding... then you are in way too deep waters with what you want to achieve.

This requires more than just a 'Good Modder' status to achieve.

I would suggest you start with something less difficult and demanding and more easier, like making a 'Player's House' or a 'Follower'.

This SLE forum, SSE forum link below:

* Editing a 'Vanilla Scene' requires a lot of research to understand why some things are done the way they are, and to avoid F****** UP the game!.

Edited by maxarturo

Maxarturo is right. The very simplest mods are interiors with only an exterior door like a door set into a cliff. The next in complexity are buildings with exteriors that you need to set into the world. Then I would start with adding simple NPC's like merchants or guards to your mod with schedules. These can all be done with the CK alone. Scripting is more complex though for very simple things it's not too difficult, but you would need to learn Papyrus. Retexturing can be done by applying vanilla textures to different items or you will need to learn Gimp(free) or Photoshop(expensive) to make your own. Making new 3D items needs Blender(free) or other modeling programs.

Google Darkfox127. He has a huge number of tutorials that are very well done and useful.

Also watch the video tutorials at creationkit.com.

Some words of wisdom:

Try not to change vanilla items. Duplicate them and rename them instead to make your own.

Put a prefix of your mod's initials in front of everything you make. It makes it easy to search for items that you created by putting those initials in the filter.

For textures and meshes you create, in the textures folder make a new folder with your mod's name and put all your textures in there.

Make a folder called Mod Stages on your desktop. Save a copy of your esp into that folder often and give it a name showing what you completed.

If you mess up you can go back to yesterday's version.

Hey MidMist, I would definitely start out "small."

Also, don't let the idea of "the process" scare you.

Without scripting or making your own textures/3d items you can do quite a bit. I've just finished a very large mod (which has taken me years) and I don't script (though I've added two scripts per DarkFox's tutorials - and some he wrote) but my approach to modding was "given what I know and given what I know I don't want to do, what CAN i do."

And just by using what is in the Creation Kit you can do quite a lot.

Also back up everything you do. Everything.

Also (another also) be careful what you tinker with when it comes to the main game, such as scripts/triggers for Ralof to unbind you.

What I would advise is to go to the room where Ralof unbinds you and look to see if there is a trigger that starts that part of the quest. You might be able to move that earlier in the game but then it's possible that will mess up him running through the keep for the rest of it.

Start small, learn how these mods/expansion are put together and then build up from there. Good luck.

Thank you all for such helpful information, admittedly I had thought it would be something easier since the script already existed and thinking that I just needed to move the script and triggers point to do that and I could test it early on but I wasn't considering the consequences that could arise from doing so.

also thanks for giving me some new direction, I will probably try making my own Npc and interior spaces instead of messing with existing script, and will check out darkfox and see what I can learn from the tutorials.

thanks again to all of you that took the time to respond and help me out. :happy:

He has got a good point and what you stated is actually something you should never do. The best way to start modding in my opinion is a few build a home videos. They cover a lot and get you started on the right path. Keep in mind this stuff is not as easy as it seems. You will hit walls and you will have to look around to find your answers. Good luck, it's worth it in the end.