Why is blocking users from accessing a mod even a thing?

Deleted82823653User

I only ask because it's one of the most easily circumventable things on this site. If a mod author decides they don't like me (for whatever reason) why not mute my posts? If I want access to their mods all I have to do is make a new account. I suppose you could double down and throw an IP ban on me, but that's easily dealt with as well.

Has the site had a change of management or something? Because I honestly don't remember things being this petty.

edit: removed the salt

Edited by Guest

I only ask because it's one of the most easily circumventable things on this site. If a mod author decides they don't like me (for whatever reason) why not mute my posts? If I want access to their mods (relax guy, I don't) all I have to do is make a new account. I suppose you could double down and throw an IP ban on me, but that's easily dealt with as well.

Has the site had a change of management or something? Because I honestly don't remember things being this petty. Even the message you get after being blocked is childish "access to mods is a privilege" I mean, are you guys serious? You re-purpose assets using developer tools. Now access to those tools are a privilege. What you guys provide is a lazy man's alternative to using the GECK/creation kit. Maybe tone the self importance down a bit?

Your description of modding is both ridiculously reductionist and facepalmingly inaccurate. In fact, I'd say it's a 'lazy man's' definition. If you want to have a mature, constructive conversation, that's not the way to go about it.

The topic of mod authors' control over who can access their mods has been 'discussed' ad nauseam in this forum and to save everybody time and for your edification and education, I recommend you read those threads.

I write 'discussed' because this topic usually goes in one of two directions. The OP has their arguments systematically demolished by rational, reasonable responses based on many years of experience, and

1. they disappear from the conversation and are never heard from again, probably because they just wanted to whinge and had nothing constructive to offer;

OR

2. they continue to argue the toss which only serves to demonstrate their inability to modify their viewpoint when confronted with better information and superior logic.

If I was a betting man, I'd place money on #1 for you.

Edited by gnarly1

Yeah, it was mostly salt after being banned from a mod with no explanation, I apologise for that, and of course I know most mods aren't just re-purposing assets. If you ignore my bitching it doesn't change how bizarre and nonsensical blocking a user from downloading mods is.

I figured. Decent of you to admit that. :smile: Still, having a gripe is quite cathartic, although sometimes it's better to not hit the 'Post' button.

If you read through some of the other threads about this topic, your view on mod authors blocking users might change. I don't see how it's bizarre or nonsensical even when you take into account the ability for a user to just create a new account. That still imposes a 'cost' on the user, although a relatively minor one, while also providing the mod author with some measure of control over interactions about their content.

I'm glad I'm not a betting man....

all I have to do is make a new account

You could do that, but, if you had read the ToS, you would know that you are not allowed to do that. The staff is rather good at tracking down people who go that route, and usually ban all the related accounts. The Forums Rules and Warnings section is littered with just that sort of thing. : /

all I have to do is make a new account

You could do that, but, if you had read the ToS, you would know that you are not allowed to do that. The staff is rather good at tracking down people who go that route, and usually ban all the related accounts. The Forums Rules and Warnings section is littered with just that sort of thing. : /

An alternative way that does fall within the ToS is to close your current account and then open a new one ... the tools to do that are provided by the site.