Use apparel slots to replace body

Enigmacell0522

I recently tried out a mod called spooky scary skeletons to give the player...well a skeleton appearance. Unfortunately it takes up apparel slots 33,34, and 35 used for the body and as soon as I toss on some body armor the skeleton goes away. So I go ahead and edit it in xedit and was able to change slots that I thought would not cause much conflict with other apparel items.

I try on the skeleton suit and works great. Put on armor that uses slot 33 aaaaaand I am no longer a skeleton and except it looks as if it is still there just under the player model.

Any chance I can use the skeleton suit as a body while using other armor and apparel? I know there is a playable skeletons mod but I wanted to try and get this to work.

So yeah...how to use apparel slot in xedit to show up as an equipable body replacer?

Thanks in advance

link to spooky skeletons

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11058

Playable skeleton:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7270

• 5 months later...

FO4 edit and change the slot on the armor.

Which doesn't work half the time. I've gone through and changed the slots on lots of things to what they "should be", and most of the time they don't even show up in game afterwards.

The whole slot system is a mess that doesn't follow it's own rules a lot of the time. Try to make a belt an armor piece so it goes over a vault suit? It turns invisible. I read someplace this can be caused by a conflict between the armor record, which says "use this as torso armor", and the NIF file, which has hardcoded "this is leg armor", but for the life of me I can't figure out where in NIF files this information is located.

So yes, in theory you just change the armor slot using FO4Edit. In practice that fails more often than it works.

Any chance I can use the skeleton suit as a body while using other armor and apparel?

You'd need to edit the meshes (.nif files) of those outfits.

Yes, but where is the body slot assignment found in the NIF?

The "Spooky Skeleton" mod have a only few outfit that can be worn by skeletons. (Mostly vanilla "skeleton outfits" like those worn vault suit and lab coat). I meant that in order to add new outfits to skeletons, one has to edit those outfits first.

Try to make a belt an armor piece so it goes over a vault suit? It turns invisible. I read someplace this can be caused by a conflict between the armor record, which says "use this as torso armor", and the NIF file, which has hardcoded "this is leg armor", but for the life of me I can't figure out where in NIF files this information is located.

If the .nif contains body slot data, here's how to find it. But in Fallout 4, I haven't seen an armor or outfit that had body slot data (the tutorial is for Skyrim).

Forgot to mention that deleting the bone data from the Armor Addon sometimes fixes the "invisible" armor issue.

Edited by LarannKiar

By bone data you mean all the NiNodes like "LArm_Finger51"? 'Cause I have no idea why there is finger data on a freakin' belt lol.

No, deleting those from the .nif causes more harm than good in most cases. I was talking about the "Bone Data" in FO4Edit > Armor Addon. It's called SCLP Data in the Creation Kit.

By bone data you mean all the NiNodes like "LArm_Finger51"? 'Cause I have no idea why there is finger data on a freakin' belt lol.

No, deleting those from the .nif causes more harm than good in most cases. I was talking about the "Bone Data" in FO4Edit > Armor Addon. It's called SCLP Data in the Creation Kit.

Ah, got it. I'll give that a try, thanks.