Import landscape from Skyrim into Fallout 4?

Good evening everybody!

Is there any way to import a worldspace landscape from skyrim into Fallout 4?

(Like, the "main skyrim worldspace", the "solstheim island worldspace", ...)

I don't mean the whole worldspace with all placed objects, I mean just the "landscape data".

I know the Fallout 4 CK can import heightmaps, but I don't know how to export the heightmaps from skyrim in the needed format.

(See this topic: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/9620813-exporting-skyrim-worldspace-landscape-heightmap-as-32-bit-greyscale-image-how/ )

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!

(This topic is about Skyrim and Fallout 4, so I hope it is in the right place here ... )

I am not talking about porting assets like meshes or textures, that is not allowed.

Just the landscape data ...

(I am trying to recreate Skyrim in the Fallout 4 engine for my personal use, if you are asking yourself why I want to do this ...)

There are some Skyrim heightmaps already available online. Via Google

Yes, I know ...

(I have all of the good ones I could find saved already, just because I am obsessed with downloading potentially usefull stuff ...)

But they would have to be adjusted for proper "scaling" (what height is "white", what height is "black" ? And how many "CK units" is one px? Nobody knows ... )

Would the tool called TESAnnwyn work?

TESAnnwyn

I know about that tool, but I could never get it to work for me ...

Everytime I created a worldspace with it, I would get a bug where the player can't sprint in that worldspace and the movement was like "gliding" not like walking ...

(I tried to create a FO4 worldspace based on the area where I live from a heightmap. Would have been a nice project, but you can't have a "custom worldspace mod" if the worldspace is not working :laugh: )

And how many "CK units" is one px? Nobody knows ... )

Yes. You can know. At least the CK tells you how big the size of the image has to be, if you put in your worldspace boundaries.

And how many "CK units" is one px? Nobody knows ... )

Yes. You can know. At least the CK tells you how big the size of the image has to be, if you put in your worldspace boundaries.

I know what you are trying to say ...

(36px x 36 px per "exterior cell" or something like that is what the CK wants when you import heightmaps ...)

So, I know what the size of the heightmap needs to be for a given worldspace size.

The heightmap that I have (a heightmap of all of Tamriel https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52675?tab=description ) needs to be scaled / cropped in some way.

How do I figure out how much I need to scale and or crop the heightmap so that the "playable area" matches the worldspace of skyrim (so that cell 0,0 of the "fo4 worldspace" is exactly the same as cell 0,0 of the original skyrim worldspace)

(Because I am planning on going through every single cell and placing all the objects "by hand" at the exact same XYZ coordinates and rotation as in skyrim, after I recreated / ported all the assets into FO4. Basically copying the worldspace into FO4 with all the objects "by hand")

THAT is the question!

If I knew "in this heightmap, x px is one exterior cell" I would know how to scale and crop the given heightmap.

But I haven't found any good skyrim heightmaps with a "cell grid" ...

I know, I could just open the Skyrim CK, go to a cell, make only the landscape visible, make the CK show me the collision and then manually measure the height of every single "landscape mesh point" by placing something right on top of it and writing down its Z coordinate. Then open the FO4 CK, create an empty worldspace, go to the same cell, place an object at the same XZY coords and adjust that landscape mesh point to match the the Z position of the placed object. Do that for each "landscape mesh point" in every cell and after like a few years I would also have a rough copy of the Skyrim worldspace in FO4.

But I am too lazy to do THAT .....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Take a look at the regions tab under the world heading. I believe this is where you'd setup the playable boundarties. Might be possible to use xedit to get the exact number for these boundaries from syrym and duplicate. As far as height goes, I think there is going to be some trial and error involved there.