What Is The Best Game Ever

BloodWindBal

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've been playing video games since... I think it was 7, so 9 years here :P

Best game ever? Hmmm... that's a toughy. I could say the best of each genre of game perhaps. But out of all of em? That's hard. :P

Ok... Morrowind and Final Fantasy XI for me. Yes it's two but I can't decide between them.

FFXI has next to no storyline though. For the game with the best storyline ever for me would probably be FFX/IX, once again, can't decide.

There are so many aspects that make some games better than others it's a bit hard to generalise it so much ;)

@Slaiv: But isn't this thread a little different from those you mentioned? This thread asks the question, which is the best game of all times and this can be discussed.

The other threads you mentioned ask different questions, like the best RPG's or what is the favourite game of a person. So it seems to me that the question here is different, since you can discuss acctually why something is better, while the threads you mentioned only asked to state what you think is better, not discuss it.

I disagree strongly. (now the discussions start)

Why this? Deus Ex and Half-Life are good games, they are even some of the best games, but they certainly do not deserve the title of the best game ever.

The question for the best game ever is difficult in itself. It would be easier to answer this by genres and not the best game of all games. Or when the question would be "what is the most important and influential game?". That would clealry be one of the following games: Command and Conquer, Civilization, Doom, Wing Commander, Quake, Descent, Baldur's Gate, Myst, StarWars: Rebel Assault (because it was the first game to fully use the capabilities of the CD-ROM).

But the best game... well, there are several games which are nominated for this award, I think.

- "Myst" is certainly one, just because of it's simple genious; "Riven" perfected the already good "Myst"

- I would agree on "Baldur's Gate 2" being the best RPG of all times, where the "old" 2-dimensional RPG was perfected. Worth mentioning and considerable are also "Fallout", "Planescape: Torment" and "Diablo 2". For the 3d-RPG's I would nominate both "Morrowind" and "Gothic II: Die Nacht des Raben".

- "Civilization 2: Test of Time" and "Age of Empires 2" are probably the best strategy games of all times. OK, I would also consider "WarCraft 3", "StarCraft", "Sudden Strike", "Comand & Conquer: Tiberium Dawn", "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" and "Stronghold". "Rome: Total War" is probably the coming best strategy game and will top them all, at least when it holds to its promises.

- Now it is the Action-Games turn. What shall I nominate here? "Quake", "Unreal Tournament", "Counterstrike", "Half-Life".

- Space-simulations, yes. "WingCommander", "Freespace 2", "Freelancer", "Descent" (one of my favourites, especially the much underrated Descent 3), Privateer

OK, this is my nomination list. Feel free to add :D

Now, who wins? Let's look by genre:

Adventure: Riven

RPG: Baldur's Gate 2

Strategy: Age of Empires 2

Action: Counterstrike

Space-Simulation: WingCommander

Now, who wins in the end? OK, lets look. Riven is really cool, but it has the flaw that you can play it only once and then you know it all. Counterstrike gives you endless gaming, because it is always different, the enemies are human. Problem is, the principle of the game stays the same, there isn't much variety there. Age of Empires is cool in the Net, but suffers from the same problem as Counterstrike. WingCommander was the first of its Genre and one of the best series in game history. As a plus, it had a good story. Multiplayer is something that lacks tough. Baldur's Gate is the perfected RPG, which you can almost play endlessly until you are through once. The cool thing about is that you can play it again and again and always do something new. When we take 200 hours to play the game once, and you have about ten different classes, well, that gets you 2000 hours of gameplay. Quite a lot, don't you think?

That is also the reason why I say, Baldur's Gate is the best game of all time. At least from an objective point of view, or at least partial objective view.

Subjectivly, I would name an other game, or should I say "games". Outcast is one of my favourites, then there is Descent 3, Arcanum (just because of the genious story), Planescape: Torment (for the same reason), Battlezone (because of it's genious combination of Strategy and Action), Gothic I and II (I just love those RPG's, because of their unique living world)

Deus ex 2, thief 3, warcraft 3, dark reign 2, diablo, vampire bloodlines ( I have alpha version) and last but NOT least.....................

POSTAL 2!!!!!!!!

Just think, what other game allows you to behead people with shovels then burn the corpes with a bucket of gasoline and a match, make fun of every relegion, and PISS on everything, everyone, and at everyplace. Even on people. its like grand theft auto meets south park and stick death!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you disagree, then you are wrong for I am God

:P