oblivion crash to desktop after a hour or 3 what shoul i do?

Wolf382

im just gonna say it im really bad at modding and understanding it so i got helped to mod my game from striker879 and it just how i want it to be but after hour or 3 of gameplay it crash to desktop randomly and i don't know what to do

i have that one mod 4 gb patch but still crash to desktop so i was hoping for some help or advise on what to do

here is all the mod i have

btw im dyslexic so im gonna do my best to understand

Active Mod Files:

00 Oblivion.esm
01 Better Cities Resources.esm [Version 6.0.13]
02 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.5.6b]
03 UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0]
04 DLCShiveringIsles.esp
05 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.9a]
06 Better Cities .esp [Version 6.0.10]
++ 300_Combat Sounds.esp
07 Sounds of Cyrodiil.esp [Version 1.1]
08 More Effective Enchantments.esp [Version 3.1]
++ nu_female_player_idle.esp
09 Enhanced Economy.esp [Version 5.4.3]
0A DLCHorseArmor.esp
0B DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.9]
0C DLCOrrery.esp
0D DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.7]
0E DLCVileLair.esp
0F DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.11]
10 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
11 DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.7]
12 Sounds of Cyrodiil - Mehrune's Razor Add-On.esp [Version 1.0]
13 DLCSpellTomes.esp
++ DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]
14 EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer.esp
15 DLCThievesDen.esp
16 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.15]
17 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.14]
18 Sounds of Cyrodiil - Thieves' Den Add-On.esp [Version 1.0]
19 DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
1A DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.12]
1B DLCFrostcrag.esp
1C DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.10]
1D Knights.esp
1E Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.1.8]
1F EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp
20 Sounds of Cyrodiil - KOTN Add-on.esp [Version 1.0]
++ Better Cities - House Price Patch.esp [Version 6.0.10]
21 Bag of Holding.esp [Version 1.5.0]
22 EVE_ShiveringIslesEasterEggs.esp
23 Vanilla Gear Redux.esp
++ Enhanced Economy - House prices.esp [Version 5.4.3]
24 MidasSpells.esp
25 Lightweight Potions.esp [Version 1.1]
26 kuerteeMagickaBasedEnchantmentLimits.esp
27 SM Combat Hide.esp [Version 1.2]
28 All+5AttributeModifiers.esp
29 TML_TrainingUncap.esp
2A 1em_Vilja.esp [Version 4.04]
2B 1em_Vilja OCOv2 Alternative.esp
2C Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp [Version 2.0]
2D Better Cities Full.esp [Version 6.0.13]
2E Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp [Version 6.0.10]
2F Better Imperial City.esp [Version 6.0.12]
++ Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp [Version 6.0.10]
30 Bashed Patch, 1.esp
31 Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.esp [Version 4.9.4.2]

Getting between and hour and three hours gameplay before crashing isn't really all that bad Wolf, especially with a mod like Better Cities which is known to add a lot of extra stress to the game.

Even the base game without any mods is likely to have crashes. If you only added mods that reduce the chance for those crashes (so things like 4GB Patch, EngineBugFixes, Oblivion Stutter Remover and the Unofficial Patches) you will still not have a completely crash free game ... the chances for a crash will be reduced but not eliminated.

The best defense against crashing you can use is making frequent saves. As the crashes come randomly you can't say OK I'll save every 45 minutes and then not lose too much progress. In my own game I know certain areas where crashes are more likely to happen, so I always save before getting to those spots. When I forget to I curse a few times (OK maybe more than just a few) and load the last save I have.

A note about saving ... always save to a new slot (so don't quicksave or overwrite previous saves). When your saves folder starts to get more than a hundred or so saves either delete all but the most recent few or move all but the most recent few to another folder as backup.

okay so its normal to crash that so weird what about pellape says about disable Better cities will that help? (i really like that mod btw) and i do have EngineBugFixes but i unistall Oblivion Stutter Remover i got to scared of what you said last time about it can crash the game even if i did do anything in the ini

okay so its normal to crash that so weird what about pellape says about disable Better cities will that help? (i really like that mod btw) and i do have EngineBugFixes but i unistall Oblivion Stutter Remover i got to scared of what you said last time about it can crash the game even if i did do anything in the ini

If OSR didn't cause a problem immediately after you installed it (meaning if the game started after you installed it) then it's OK to keep using. When people have trouble with it they can't start the game or have problems right away (like the missing weapon hit sounds problem we talked about in the PM). If you didn't have those problems it's OK to use.

Things like large mods like Better Cities hurting the game's stability is a judgment call. For some the benefits outweight the cost of sometimes having a crash ... for others they value stability over how the game looks. Neither way is right or wrong ... it's just opinions that are different.

If you like Better Cities keep it and just save more often.

okay now its getting worse now it like 20 min to 30 min i crash sorry for not responding too i lost the internet connection

i tried to uninstall better city but there is no description on how too

also once i uninstall the mod for testing do i need to make a new save?

When uninstalling a mod you will usually get a warning from the game about missing content when you load your latest save. Most of the time you can just ignore the warning and the save will load fine and you can just continue your game. Other times you need to follow the instructions for uninstlling the mod (Enhanced Economy is one that come to mind). Better Cities has no special uninstall instructions so it should be in the first group (just uninstall and continue playing).

If you need some step by steps for uninstalling I can put something together for you.

Did the crashing get worse after you started using OSR again?

no i didn't mange to install OBR sense i lost the internet so i was just playing around also yes please on helping to uninstalling so i can make a backup for with and without better city so i can test it

also i don't know if it mater but i wasn't in the city all the time i was out to explore and in dungeon and still crash

should i try and give OBR another go? if so is it to install first one on the list of download and copy the data folder and then past it to game data folder and then install sound fix

copy the (sr_Oblivion_Stutter_Remover) past it in the game data?

first time i did it i crashed that's the reason i got scared of using it so i tried the second time and i think i install it

OK ... so I thought you said in the PM that Oblivion Stutter Remover was OK when you installed it the first time.

The one that you want to use is the third one down from the top of the files list ... OSR_4-1-37 (which is the newest version).

To install it you download to a folder and extract. Next you copy the Data from the extracted download and then paste it into your game's Oblivion folder. You will get a Windows prompt about merging the folders ... answer Yes (or Yes to All).

OSR is an OBSE plugin so there is nothing to activate, just start the game. If it starts OK then you are good to go test ... if it doesn't there are some things we can try tweaking to see if it helps.

Try just the base OSR first. If it starts but you don't hear weapon hit sounds when you test then we'll try the Sound Fix version.

Use your problem save as a first test. If the problem save still crashes try the save from before that and then go to the same dungeon to see if it still happens.