oblivion crash to desktop after a hour or 3 what shoul i do?

Wolf382

i still crash after i walk like 6 min east from Vindasel and i crash 30 min when i was gonna sell stuff in the market

i dont completely understand do you mean better city and Qarls Texture is the casing of the random crash? or dis crash spots

The issue with Qarls is that it increases the size of textures, and that puts more strain on your system. Qarls stresses the video card and Better Cities stresses both the video card and the CPU. The random crashes happen when one more straw gets added to the camel's back and it can't carry the load.

If crash free (or as close as possible) is your goal then you need to think about which mods you keep and which you don't install. With both Maskars Oblivion Overhaul and Better Cities you have two mods that put strain on the system.

So there's two ways to go ... use the backup from before installing Better Cities (which means installing all mods that came after it) or we try uninstalling Better Cities and hope it goes smooth.

Your call.

i also have a question how long can you play before crashes?

That depends a lot on where I am in Cyrodiil plus what sort of things I'm doing. I have two mods that I know can create crashes ... NPCs Yield Refined and SPAWN. I have made INI tweaks to both that hurt stability. Sometimes to make it past one of the trouble spots I may need to save move a short distance and then save again, hoping I don't crash before the next save (and if that happens when I load my save I don't go as far before I save again). In those cases I'm minutes between crashes.

Other times, when I'm not close to one of the trouble spots and I haven't done anything to add extra stress to my system I can go an hour or maybe a bit more (that doesn't happen very often for the next reason I'll outline).

So another thing I do that adds stress to my system (and thus increases the chance for a crash) is I have a way of "making friends" with bandits, marauders, conjurers and necromancers and then I take them to one of my houses (or another cell I've "taken ownership" of). If I stop by and visit them it depends a lot on how many NPCs I have stashed in that cell. If it's only two or three it's not a problem, but there are some cells (like Ayleid ruins) where I might have between 20 and 50 NPCs stashed. Most of the time I'll need to go through a save/exit/load cycle to leave that cell (and sometimes just to enter it, if I have used a lot of video memory before I got there). The main culprit in these cases is all of the NPCs that I have Blockheaded (given unique bodies and/or body textures).

If you try to compare yourself to me you need to know what you are comparing to ... I am way off the beaten track.

- Edit - Here's a stat that tells you a lot about what I'm talking about. I have played this same character for over six years. His latest save has 5,639 hours playing time. When I divide the playing time in minutes (so 338,340 minutes) by the number of saves (40,327 saves) you get 8.4 minutes between saves on the average. Granted sometimes there will be much more than 8 minutes between saves, but that means there are enough times with less than 8 minutes between saves to average out.

im just try to figure out what is a normal play time (short playtime normal play and a long one if lucky) it just weird that a game that is so old wouldn't handle mods better sense you have a strong pc

also if you think it better to use the backup file and reinstall all the mods again i can do that :thumbsup: it gonna take me 3 days too reinstall all the mod again (plus i been reading for almost a week just because of modding oblivion so i feel a little burnt out by reading typing and understanding)

im just try to figure out what is a normal play time (short playtime normal play and a long one if lucky) it just weird that a game that is so old wouldn't handle mods better sense you have a strong pc

also if you think it better to use the backup file and reinstall all the mods again i can do that :thumbsup: it gonna take me 3 days too reinstall all the mod again (plus i been reading for almost a week just because of modding oblivion so i feel a little burnt out by reading typing and understanding)

I understand. I remember when we did the installs the first time and I was impressed by how much you were able to keep working on it.

The game didn't start out as a game known for stability, and it hasn't been updated at all to take advantage of what new computers can do. The last time the game was updated we were still using Pentium 4 CPUs and the GHz Wars were still in full swing between Intel and AMD.

If you run into any snags you know where I hang out.

i also forgot to say im also a litt scared off start all over again and then i try out without better city and then its the same time last time so far i got with the timer is this

(short around 10 min) (normal time around 30) (long time around 40 min)

i also forgot to say im also a litt scared off start all over again and then i try out without better city and then its the same time last time so far i got with the timer is this

(short around 10 min) (normal time around 30) (long time around 40 min)

Also keep track of where you are getting crashes and what you were doing leading up to the crash.

If you get your load order without Better Cities and everything seems stable (and I mean after testing for a couple of weeks) then you could make a Data folder backup and try installing Better Cities.

That will give you something to compare against. It's more accurate to compare your own game with fewer mods to your own game with more mods than to try to compare to what other people have (different hardware, different load orders, and they do different things in game).

Slow and steady wins the race Wolf.

No Qarls textures are not the problem. I cant play without them ad I had to start all over to be able to play but that does not mean that you will be forced to it, but have it in mind though that it might be the only way, in case the game will not function properly after you unchecked better cities