Game Crash on Opening Inventory

Hokarhoof

Hi folks!

I recently had received a 34" ultrawide screen and wanted to give Skyrim Special Edition a go but it turns the UI is not adapted to ultrawide formats. As a result, I had to install, SKSE a mod to fix Widescreens UIs. Because I use a few mods and SKSE, I decided to start using ModOrganizer but the game will crash as soon as I try to open my inventory whenever I launch the game (Skyrim Special Edition or SKSE) through ModOrganizer v2.4.0.

There's no error message when the game crashes, it just instantly closes. The "crashDumps" folder in MO2 is empty.

I manually added the following file: \Data\SKSE\skse.ini

Although I suspected it wouldn't make much difference since the game or SKSE works fine when launched on its own (which shows that the install of SKSE through ModOrganizer was a success, right?), just not through ModOrganizer. Also, the crash when opening the inventory happens on any saved game, with or without mods (so long as I launch it through ModOrganizer).

Here's my ModOrganizer, not that it really matters since I tried launching the game normally and through SKSE without mods, but in case you are curious: https://imgur.com/NrWRuws

Both the game and ModOrganizer are installed on the same SSD.

Ignore the warning about the Overwrite folder. I found an empty ShaderCache folder that I deleted. The mods before using SKSE were working fine between each other (except for SkyUI that I've never tried before since it's my first attempt at using SKSE).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Edited by Hokarhoof

The game launches fine and does not crash when opening the inventory when starting the game outside of MO2.

The game launches fine but crashes when opening the inventory when starting the game from within MO2.

Are these statements correct?

If so, then your setup in MO2 is where the problem lies as none of those mods should be present in the game outside of MO2.

I have never used the widescreen fix, thus I cannot speak to whether or not it might be playing a factor. That said, a crash in the inventory is typically caused by an object being highlighted that has a poorly made inventory model or some sort of corruption introduced to the associated file. But a messed up UI file might cause a crash too.

First thing I would do is fix up your priority window (left side). This window represents the "install order" which means this is the order in which files should overwrite one another when there are conflicts. Since USSEP is intended to fix the base game, move its folder all the way to just below the unmanaged DLC files. This will allow the following mod files to overwrite any USSEP files as necessary. In your image both SMIM and Instant Mining have files that are being overwritten by USSEP files.

Who knows, in the process, you might inadvertently "fix" the problem.

Hi!

The game launches fine and does not crash when opening the inventory when starting the game outside of MO2.

The game launches fine but crashes when opening the inventory when starting the game from within MO2.

Both of these statements are correct! However, when starting the game without MO2, none of the mods I'd like to use are accessible (since, as you point out, anything installed through MO2 can only be accessed when the game in launched with this tool).

I didn't realise the install order actually mattered and relied heavily on LOOT to sort the load order for the plug-ins (right hand side). Following your advice, I mirrored the load order recommended by LOOT. It didn't fix the issue though, but I was expecting this since the game crashes even without any mod launched.

I heavily suspected a texture problem as well, especially after some online research indicating this, but the more I think about it, the more I struggle to understand why this texture issue would only exist when the game is launched through MO2 regardless of mods active, or regardless of the version I launch through MO2 (SKSE or Skyrim Specicial Edition). Not sure if it's even worth pointing it out, but I also noticed there is no "Quit" option on the main menu (unlike when I launch the game without MO2).

Thanks a lot for the time you shared trying to guide me with all of this! Much appreciated!

Hey!

Found a fix for it by simply creating a new profile on MO2.

It's probably something to do with the ini file on the default profile created. Sorted now even though the widescreen fix mod doesn't seem to work, but the first major issue is fixed. I'll keep digging for this other one. :)