Mod Update with Manual File Selection Installed As New Mod

nexuskomrad
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

I ran an check for updates today and discovered Armor and Clothing Extension mod had an update available. The update icon indicated I had to manually select the file since Vortex could not tell which one I had originally downloaded.

I downloaded the update (from 1.0. to 1.2 ) and installed it. according to the documentation , Vortex should detect the mod was already installed and recognize the download as an update.

Except it didn't. It installed 1.2 as a new mod and popped up a file conflict notification since ( of course ) they have the same files. I can move the old version and keep the new version , no problem there. But, I thought I should bring up this behavior to see if there was a fix for it.

Otherwise, I'll expect that in some cases upgrades will be manual.

I ran an check for updates today and discovered Armor and Clothing Extension mod had an update available. The update icon indicated I had to manually select the file since Vortex could not tell which one I had originally downloaded.

I downloaded the update (from 1.0. to 1.2 ) and installed it. according to the documentation , Vortex should detect the mod was already installed and recognize the download as an update.

Except it didn't. It installed 1.2 as a new mod and popped up a file conflict notification since ( of course ) they have the same files. I can move the old version and keep the new version , no problem there. But, I thought I should bring up this behavior to see if there was a fix for it.

Otherwise, I'll expect that in some cases upgrades will be manual.

attachicon.gif duplicate_mod_from_update.PNG

So, you didn't uninstall the previous version before installing the new version.

YOu can either uninstall the previous version and install the new version, -OR- you can also just click SHOW on that screen and tell Vortex to load Version 1.2 AFTER 1.0

Per the Vortex documentation, I should not have to perform either of those actions.

â Installing Updates

Once download install the mod as per normal. Vortex will detect that it is an update of an existing mod and prompt whether you want to update just the current profile or all profiles:

Once updated both version will be available within Vortex. You can switch version by clicking on the version number in the Mods pageâ

Vortex did not detect that it was an update in this case. It did for the majority, but 2 or 3 out of the 15 mod upgrades I did yesterday failed to detect that the download was an update.

Per the Vortex documentation, I should not have to perform either of those actions.

â Installing Updates

Once download install the mod as per normal. Vortex will detect that it is an update of an existing mod and prompt whether you want to update just the current profile or all profiles:

Once updated both version will be available within Vortex. You can switch version by clicking on the version number in the Mods pageâ

Vortex did not detect that it was an update in this case. It did for the majority, but 2 or 3 out of the 15 mod upgrades I did yesterday failed to detect that the download was an update.

Yes you shouldn't HAVE to, but it's good practice to do that.

Did you set the rule to have 1.2 LOAD AFTER 1.0 like I told you?

Vortex can only detect them as updates if the Modder numbers them correctly.

â Installing Updates

That is what I thought. Perhaps there might be some additional logic that determine if 2 mods are the same but different version. Then again I have seen some off the wall values used for version numbers, often they aren't even numbers.

What I have done so far , was to remove the previous version of the mod ( in the mods tab, click remove, check "remove archive" box ), and then install the updated version.

Hopefully since the .esp file names are the same, the game views it as the same mod, and things like data embedded in the script file are not affected.

• Solution

â Installing Updates

That is what I thought. Perhaps there might be some additional logic that determine if 2 mods are the same but different version. Then again I have seen some off the wall values used for version numbers, often they aren't even numbers.

What I have done so far , was to remove the previous version of the mod ( in the mods tab, click remove, check "remove archive" box ), and then install the updated version.

Hopefully since the .esp file names are the same, the game views it as the same mod, and things like data embedded in the script file are not affected.

Your other option was to click "SHOW" on that pop up, and tell Vortex to load "Armor and Clothing Extension 1.2" AFTER "Armor and Clothing Extension 1.0"