The Secret of Rorikstead

Inquart

I'm sure some of you remember how we can ask a few people in Rorikstead about secret behind their thriving crops and how all they got for an answer is a combination of hard work and luck, maybe mixed in with a little bit of divine will. Now, I have absolutely nothing against Rorikstead, it's nice and quiet, Rorik himself seemed like a decent enough man and maybe these people really are hard-working and blessed with luck (about hard work - one of the villagers actually preferred the companionship of her crops and animals to that of other people, so I can imagine she was indeed working hard and with joy), but I see some unused potential for a story there. I'm playing Skyrim fifth or sixth time now and I still hope something will pop up in that matter, some rumor leading to a side quest about what's really behind Rorikstead's luck. Like, I don't know, that they were using bodies as a fertilizer or tapped in some nasty magic - something like that. What do you think?

My personal conspiracy theory for this riddle is far less sensational than yours, I afraid. I figured, Jouane, Rorik's magician-friend, has some part in Rorikstead's wealth.

When you ask him about the subject he gets a little bit too defensive, almost as if he felt caught ("Secret? What makes you think there's a secret? There are no secrets here, my curious friend. Our prosperity is simply the result of hard work, good fortune and the blessings of the gods."). If you watch him more closely, you find out he gives magic-lessons to Sissel, one of the two little girls who live in the village. He doesn't want anybody to find about this though, because "the others wouldn't understand". Probably the villagers in Rorikstead are just as suspicious of mages as most Nords are. Some other bits of conversation also indicate that he's very concerned about the villagers and apart from that at least one of them is suspicious of him, because he's a Breton. (You can read up all of his dialogue here.)

So my theory is, Jouane helps the crops and fruits to grow via magic to help the village, but does so secretly because he doesn't want to upset the villagers - and perhaps because they feel better if they think it is all their own doing too.

@Anska: that's a good theory.

Or maybe there is something down there in that Blackreach labyrinth, maybe a dwemer contraption that still works and affects the surface.

So my theory is, Jouane helps the crops and fruits to grow via magic to help the village, but does so secretly because he doesn't want to upset the villagers - and perhaps because they feel better if they think it is all their own doing too.

You know, I really like that theory, it makes perfect sense (though I'd like to catch them red-handed using bodies as a fertilizer or harnessing Spriggans powers :biggrin:).

Edited by Inquart

You know, I really like that theory, it makes perfect sense (though I'd like to catch them red-handed using bodies as a fertilizer or harnessing Spriggans powers :biggrin:).

I feel the same, although it would make quite a good quest to follow Jouane around to find out what his secret is only for it to be something mundane but kept secret to make the villagers feel good about themselves .

or Jouane has led the villagers to believe he has some magic fertilizer and the answer is in fact something as mundane as a fertiliser m\ade from spriggan sap and taproot mixed with bonemeal and he wants to protect his status in the community.

there could even be a few radient side quests to collect ingredients for him

• 1 month later...

but I can also see it being magic because I overheard rorik and a little girl talking out magic the little girl asked if he could teach her magic and rorik told her " be quiet remember its a secret" but she could caught him doing some magic daedra ritual so who knows.

someone could definitely make a quest mod out of this though.

Edited by CHIEF66