Last update deleted the download folder

turulo

Hello, last night when I closed vortex, it asked for admin rights. I guessed that it wanted to apply some updates so I let it fly.

Now when I start Vortex it can't find the download folder and I can "feel" that it got deleted cause suddenly 400gb worth of mods is free in my HD.

I probably made a mistake by putting the download folder in some subdirectory of the vortex installation path or something I can't remember. But if that is the case I shouldn't have been allowed to set the download directory in such place.

Quite pissed off tbh.

Hello, last night when I closed vortex, it asked for admin rights. I guessed that it wanted to apply some updates so I let it fly.

Now when I start Vortex it can't find the download folder and I can "feel" that it got deleted cause suddenly 400gb worth of mods is free in my HD.

I probably made a mistake by putting the download folder in some subdirectory of the vortex installation path or something I can't remember. But if that is the case I shouldn't have been allowed to set the download directory in such place.

Quite pissed off tbh.

If you put the download folder inside the Vortex directory then it got deleted.

Good thing there's a sticky about not putting your download or mods folder inside the Vortex Directory

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6454716-do-not-put-modsdownloads-into-your-vortex-install-directory/

Guest deleted34304850

Quite pissed off tbh.

computers are good like that.

the principle is called "garbage in, garbage out".

basically they do what you tell them to do, unquestioningly and often with amusing/disasterous consequences.

silver lining - you learned something here. you always learn from mistakes, otherwise where's the fun?

No! I know remember why I got screwed... I installed Vortex long ago (was an early adopter) but I stopped using it and I think I deleted it. Then I recently reinstalled it in another folder and it somehow found old stuff and crap it doesn't even exist anymore.

When I try to set the download folder to another location, it moves Vortex (all the dll and executables) to the download folder. That's is why the update deleted my mods.

I don't know how to fix this.

Guest deleted34304850

if you want to completely uninstall it go and download revo uninstaller. it will uninstall any product then it will go off and find additional files and remove them too.

you'll have a load of stuff in your appdata folder that is probably left over from your original install and is causing your difficulties. give that a go and see how you go.