Open Community  ·  19 members

Valheim

[MOD REQUEST] - " Better Wards " - A PvP Server Necessity

vamman311

Hey guys, I have been running a dedicated server for my friends and I for a bit now. One thing that we are eager to experience is a pvp server however; I'm concerned about base raiding leading to griefing. I have searched for a mod that implements better mechanics for the "Ward" item and there doesn't seem to be much out there. ValheimPlus gives you the ability to turn structural damage from players off, but that's not necessarily what I'm looking for nor would it fully solve the issue. I have a few ideas for how something like this should work and I am curious if anybody else has any thoughts in addition.|

Unfortunately I'm not a C# developer and cannot implement something like this myself so I'm not even sure the plausibility of such a mod . I encourage discussion if nothing else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST IMPLEMENTATION:

Similar to ValheimPlus in the case of structure invulnerability, but "Wards" will instead apply the indestructible status to any structures built by players in that area.

- Applies an aura in the area of the ward that makes structures indestructible

- Applies an aura in the area of the ward that prevents the manipulation of terrain

- The aura preventing terrain manipulation would prevent players from griefing your base by digging underneath it.

- Would be able to be turned on and off by activating/deactivating the ward

- Maintains the same functionality the default ward offers

SECOND IMPLEMENTATION:

Inclusive to the functionality of the first implementation however; it should instead apply a damage reduction aura to structures rather than an invulnerability aura.

- An amount of damage done to structures from a source is equal to the default amount of damage done to a structure multiplied by a percent value.

- Damage mitigation could be configurable

- Manipulate the values for the amount of damage mitigation applied to structures in the area of the ward

- Damage mitigation could be variable depending on the quality of the items used against the quality of the structures built.

- i.e. A flint axe may equate to .1% of a wood walls maximum health reduced per swing as where a flint axe may do 0% of a stone walls maximum health reduced per swing

----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were just a couple quick solutions I thought of so if you have any additional ideas please feel free to discuss them. If this mod seems beneficial to your game it would be appreciated if you could leave a reply.

Thanks!

I have been everywhere searching for someone to develop the following: Valheim ward mod... developed for a large dedicated PvP Valheim Plus server.

*Non-permitted players now unable to break structures in a warded area - with the exception of doors/gates/chests.

*Non-permitted players now unable to interact with items on display in a warded area.

*No changes to mob damage on warded structures.

The idea is to allow for players to raid and loot, however to prevent players from destroying someone's base completely.

>WILL PAY A FLAT COMMISSION TO GET THIS DEVELOPED ASAP<

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started to looking into modding Valheim. I was looking at this very thing. Looking at existing mods and if there is anything in place already.

There is a mod called Better Wards. It does some of what you want, although it won't stop all griefing.

What I'm seeing is that the very design on Valheim is not well suited to PvP with anybody but with people you trust not to grief.

If you can vet players somehow before you let them on your server, you can make a whitelisted server that only allows those player on the server.

Essentially, you just need to only have players that you trust to not grief. Now if that sounds impossible, then you have just come to the realization that you can not have a PvP server where griefing will not occur.

It is just too easy to cheat (there are mods that add what many would be called cheating) and there is little currently you can do to stop all possible cheats.

You also can't really have a PvE server currently that can be safe from griefing.

I've also noted that nearly everyone confuses the setting to enable or disable friendly fire as a PvP/PvE setting. That is not the same as enabling and disabling PvE/PvP. This setting only controls the ability to damage other players. A true PvP/PvE setting would affect buildings too, and this does not. Also for this game to have true PvP, there needs to be tribes and tribe ownership.

Edited by billwerth2