Quite Strange problem with ENB DOF

coram2009

Hi All,

It's my first time here. I've been using mods for oblivion from the nexus site, but never had to post any damn thing on the forums since i've never had an interesting reason to do so.

Now that i have one, here i am.

I've already checked related problem posts :

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/941198-no-dof-need-help/?hl=%2Benb+%2Bdof&do=findComment&comment=7576977

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/931916-no-matter-which-enb-i-use-the-dof-wont-work-any-ideas/?hl=%2Benb+%2Bdof&do=findComment&comment=7499230

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/907862-enb-dof-wont-focus-blurry/?hl=%2Benb+%2Bdof&do=findComment&comment=7280741

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/821441-new-here-problems-with-dof/?hl=enb+dof

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/650938-dof-not-working/?hl=enb+dof&do=findComment&comment=5134701

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/598664-depth-of-field-in-superl3-enb/?hl=enb+dof

But that doesn't solved any thing 'cause my problem is quite strange.

I can get the DOF effect to work using the tatsudoshi 0.102 enb version.

(using the FimbulvinterENB-v1.0 solves the probelm for me since it's a tatsudoshi based enb)

The thing is, the enb's that i'm looking forward to, arne't based on the 0.102 tatsudoshi version. They are either 0.119, 0.1212 Kage, 0.153, 0.108 true HDR or whatever.

I've tried them ALL but no results. The Dof effect simply doesn't work with either version except the tatsudoshi one!!!

I have an nVidia GTX 660M, i heard somewhere that some laptops can't handle the dof effect. But how can you explain the fact that it worked with tatsudoshi !!!!!!!

Please help !!

You have to uninstall all of the 1.02 files and get a new .dll file for whatever ENB you want to use. Also make sure it has an enbeffectprepass.fx file and EnableDepthOfField=true is set under [EFFECTS] in your enbseries.ini file.

Edited by myztikrice

Thank's for your answer !!

i've already tried this ---> nothing worked so far !!

i wonder if it's safe to uninstall an ENB just by deleting its files. Is it a correct/clean uninstall ? or is there another method to do it properly ? 'cause if deleting files manully isn't clean, i guess the problem might come from there. Am i wrong ?

• 2 months later...

Guys, i REALLY , REALLY NEED HELP !!!!!

this is gonna drive me CRAZY !! i've tried every ENB version that i know of --> No DOF effect (Except for the tatsudoshi 0.102 enb version).

I'm using a laptop, and I've heard that DOF may not work for me as it may not be supported on mobile GPU varients. But how can you explain the fact that it worked with 0.102 version ??

PS : I've set dof to true for every enb tried, and set 1 to bfloatpointtarget into the skyrimperfs ini.

So what to do please ?

PS 2 : O yeah, i've noticed something weird too. When using enbs, trees just stop swaying and moving under wind blowing. WHAT THE...... ? how can i fix that too ?

You cannot transfer files from 1 ENB to the other.

So when you install a new ENB (new version, etc) it should come with it's own DOF effects... dont try to use avery old DOF file into a new ENB binary. The file contents have changed, the calculations have changed, etc.

There's just a few version which are somewhat compatible (eg 0.119 and 0.132) but I couldn't get my DOF file working properly on version 0.168 for instance.

PS 2 : O yeah, i've noticed something weird too. When using enbs, trees just stop swaying and moving under wind blowing. WHAT THE...... ? how can i fix that too ?

ENB's do not interact with the game on that level. It's a DirectX related application, it does not touch it does not care what is in your game. So that issue is not related to ENB.

if what youre saying it "DOF does not work, only on 0.102" then you have set something wrong... Maybe you have set DOF to disabled in your ini's, maybe you dont have the correct enbeffectprepass.fx file...

Remove whatever ENB you have installed, and just install a plain one from the ENB website. No modded one. Then try the DOF. Make sure you have edited everything for ENB into the correct ini files located here: My Documents\My Games\Skyrim and not the ones inside the Skyrim installation directory.

ENB's do not interact with the game on that level. It's a DirectX related application, it does not touch it does not care what is in your game. So that issue is not related to ENB.

I've read that trees / vegetation don't sway around when the game is running slower than 30 fps - maybe that's related?

As for the DOF issue - if you're using a laptop I've read that you need to use the Injector version of ENB as the wrappers d3d9.dll file can cause issue with which GPU (motherboard-based or independent) is used.

Well, thank's for your answer Mr prod80 ;) i really appreciate it.

You cannot transfer files from 1 ENB to the other.

So when you install a new ENB (new version, etc) it should come with it's own DOF effects... dont try to use avery old DOF file into a new ENB binary. The file contents have changed, the calculations have changed, etc.

Sure, i don't mess up with these files you know. i never exchange files from an enb to another !! even if the idea crossed my mind many times. 'cause sometimes i like an effect of an enb and the color correction of another one, so i really wish i could "merge" between enbs !! that way, i'll have the perfect enb that suits my tastes. BUT I'VE NEVER DONE IT !!

There's just a few version which are somewhat compatible (eg 0.119 and 0.132) but I couldn't get my DOF file working properly on version 0.168 for instance.

So you say that there are some enb versions that are "compatible" ? the files just match between them isn't it? and we could eventually exchange them ? Can you please tell what are they ? so i could manage to create the enb i really wanted !!

Yep, i don't really kow much about those things. In fact, I wish i could. Isn't there any documentation that explains how the game works ?

See, here is a video that shows exactly my problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cAjk60-2c

Just skip to 1:50 and look to the top of the screen, to the bottom right (trees shadows) and to the left of the screen, to see that the trees are moving !! Ok now notice that while the enb is beeing applied, the trees just become static (and so the shadows) !!!! That's weird!! that's exactly what i see when toogling the enb on and off using the Shift+F12 shortcut.

if what youre saying it "DOF does not work, only on 0.102" then you have set something wrong... Maybe you have set DOF to disabled in your ini's, maybe you dont have the correct enbeffectprepass.fx file...

As i said, DOF is set to true in the enbseries ini, and i always make sure to have the files of the preset i downloaded and not other ones.

Remove whatever ENB you have installed, and just install a plain one from the ENB website. No modded one. Then try the DOF. Make sure you have edited everything for ENB into the correct ini files located here: My Documents\My Games\Skyrim and not the ones inside the Skyrim installation directory.

bFloatPointRenderTarget was already set to one in the skyrimperfs.ini located in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim. i've juste tried a second time ('cause i've already tried that) white 0.119 wrapper version, no modded one ---> nothing to be told !! same anoying thing --> no DOF !!

Here's an interesting fact, look at that video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_tTbW9tlU

This guy has a GTX 660m, same as me, and uses an enb. In the very begening of the video, you can clearly notice what version he's using!! The TASUDOSHI 0.102 Version. If that isn't concidered proof ....

Maaaaan, just tell me how is that ? why is that ?? does'nt even make sense !!!! any ideas ???