Troubleshooting Navmesh Related CTDs

I'm looking for someone to take a look at my mods .esp file. I'm getting CTDs that, according to the crash log, are being caused by a few triangles in the navmesh around the exterior of my player home.

I've tried deleting and remaking the navmesh, resizing the problematic triangles, and moving bits of unneeded navmesh beneath the map. Nothing has worked.

The latest crash log lists the triangles causing problems.

Crash Log

When load the mod up in the CK, do you get PATHFINDER errors on start up? The form ID/location that error gives is in important. Compare them to the ones reported in the crash log:

{
[ 0] NavMesh(FormId: 010030A2, File: `MarasRespite.esp`)
[ 0] NavMesh(FormId: 00106EAA, File: `MarasRespite.esp`)
[ 1] NavMeshInfoMap(FormId: 00012FB4, File: `MarasRespite.esp <- Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp <- Dragonborn.esm <- HearthFires.esm <- Dawnguard.esm <- Update.esm <- Skyrim.esm`)
[ 1] TESObjectCELL(Name: MarasRespiteExterior, FormId: 0000BDC9, File: `MarasRespite.esp <- Update.esm <- Skyrim.esm`)
[ 63] NavMesh(FormId: 00106E94, File: `MarasRespite.esp`)
[ 133] NavMesh(FormId: 00019EB6, File: `MarasRespite.esp`)
}

Bare in mind, editing vanilla navmeshes or even deleting vanilla triangles will usually yank the whole cell of the navmesh. Sometimes the CK will silently delete or duplicate the entire navmesh as well.

Edited by AnishaDawn

I saw no pathfinder errors upon loading the file.

I am aware of the duplicate navmesh issue as that was the original cause for my headaches. Anytime I approached the house the game would CTD. This was caused by duplicated navmesh which I then moved beneath the map. I can now approach the house with no issue, but if an NPC approaches the house it crashes.

I wish I could help you but the solution I have would probably be double work for you. I was thinking you could delete the dupe and move the vanilla navmesh(for that cell only) down (or up, doesn't matter as long as it's out of the way) and rebuild the entire navmesh by hand. The only thing that is important is that the cell borders are green and the verts along them are lined up so that it happens. Another some what hackish and not completely ideal for a house mod, is to keep the vanillan navmesh as is, but use navmesh cuts(I think this has to be set on the refs: L_NAVMESH_CUT, or something) along the perimeter of the house.

Frustrating thing is, I've done all that already. Now I don't know if it was the vanilla navmesh that got moved down, but I did move practically a cells worth of navmesh down below the map. As far as the cell borders, where there is navmesh the borders are marked green. One of the triangles that is giving me grief is beneath a mountain (I didn't put it there and seems to have appeared when I ran the mod through SSEedit). The other troublesome triangle is located on the piece of navmesh that I sank beneath the map.

That's why I'm looking for someone to look at the .esp itself. Maybe someone else can spot the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still looking for someone to take a look at my file. If anyone wishes to help I'll send a link to the latest .esp file I've been working on.

Looking at the .esp in SSEEdit I can see one of the problematic navmesh pieces was deleted by one of the official updates and then restored by my mod. Screenshot below.

Screenshot

Edited by KiokothePirate