GOTY weapon/armor texture issues with mods

Kfactor88

I've been doing research for hours. Every weapon or armor mod I have installed cannot load the proper textures, just cycles through random textures constantly. It seems it is a common issue that the GOTY edition often does not recognize textures from mods. After hours of research I've had no luck finding a fix. I've tried archive invalidation through NMM and also the archiveinvalidation mod with no change. I've uninstalled every single mod and tried reinstalling them one by one to see if it was a specific mod, but between that and everything I've read it would seem it's specifically an issue with the GOTY edition. Have also heard there could be an issue if it is downloaded through Steam, which mine is. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestion pleeease help me out. I downloaded the game on my computer with the sole intention of modding, if I wanted to play the vanilla game I'd stick with the console. I'm sure you all understand. Thank you

Edited by Kfactor88

Kfactor88 - Hello!

Sounds like an archive invalidation issue.

I've got the GOTY & it has no issues with loading textures, mine's from disc not STEAM though.

Check your .ini & make sure it's set to accept new files, the one you want is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & make sure this line:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=0

Is set to 1 like this:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

If you have to change it, remember to save the .ini before exiting Notepad.

Also make sure that you are using only one version of archive invalidation, using both ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated & the mod manager version will cancel each other out.

ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/944

If one does not work, turn it off & try the other.

If none of that helps, make sure the textures are ending up where they should. Find out what weapons are showing up without their textures, then check the file path for their textures by looking in the original downoad for that mod.

Use that file path to check it's ending up correctly in your:

Fallout 3\Data\Textures

If you've got Vista or Win7 & Fallout's in the Program files folder it's possible the textures are being redirected. Make sure they are in the location.

If they are in the correct location, do they have a little padlock symbol on them? If so, move them out onto the Desktop & then back again. That will remove the padlock & allow it to be used as normal.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

• 3 months later...

Hi, finally found a topic on this, i also have the GOTY edition downloaded from steam, and I am playing on Win 7. Game works fine, but have the same texture problems, I tried the fixes suggested but each results in the game crashing at launch. :( Anyone know what the issue could be? Could really use help.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...