Bugged Journal function

GCoyote

I've been playing Pool of Radiance Remastered which I downloaded from the vault. It's running well enough except for one irritating problem. All of the Journal entries are blank. Plot encounters generate new text boxes in my Journal, but there is no text in them. I've also noticed that although I've completed all of the quests in part 1, there are no entries in my Journal's "Completed" tab.

I tried opening one of the modules in the tool set but it didn't show me any Journal data at all. So it would seem not to be there, yet each quest still creates a new entry (blank) in my Journal so something is happening.

Anyone have any ideas?

That usually happens when there's a conflict between a campaign journal and a module journal. I haven't played that one yet, but I'm assuming it's a campaign. If so, I'm sure you know it has to be started as a campaign and not as a module, because that's another way the problem can appear. But some modules just have the journal file in the wrong place. In one case (can't remember which module it was), I had to extract the journal.xml file from the .mod file and put it into the campaign folder in order to get a working journal.

Well that wasn't it. Thanks for trying though. The .jrl files in the campaign folder are only 1 kb so that didn't work either.

I don't actually know what I'm doing but I opened it in the tool set and tried to view the journals for the campaign and for each module that way. That didn't work either. It's basically not there. Not sure what would cause that other than a bad copy of the original files. I'll try re-downloading and re-extracting the files and see what that does.

Okay, I looked at the module.jrl in the campaign folder. There is only one in the copy I'm looking at, and it's 79.6kB. When I open it in the toolset, I see all the quests and their stages with descriptions. Do you confirm that you're playing it as a campaign, and not as a module?

I haven't tried it yet myself, so I can't say if it's working for me.

Judging from the other comments for the file on the Vault, many mentioning the problem journal, there's probably nothing wrong with your copy or with how you're playing it. I'd have to look into the scripts to see if I can find out why the journals aren't showing up properly.

Edited by Tchos

That was it. I got a new copy of the .rar and re-extracted the files. My new journal is also 79.6kB. So it was a bad download. Thanks for the help! :thumbsup: