Ai Assisted Animation - WIP

BotOwned

Note: The Topics Name is not the Actual mods name but I don't feel that I should create a brand new Topic just to show that.

Player Interaction < Actual Mod Name.

The aim of this mod is to enable the player to perform animations while interacting with certain objects to, I guess, be more immersive. The mod itself is fairly simple only using Scripts, Quests and Object Replacement, to allow the player to perform interactions which NPCs perform naturally however the player will be able to perform more interactions then NPCs if they wish to.

Features:

• Animated Interactions on the following objects.
    • Beds (Double, Single, BedRolls, Coffins(Still buggy sometimes on these but working on it.), Altars. Also includes a fix for Fused eyes, and uses the vanilla sleeping UI.)
    • Eating (Standing and sitting)
    • Drinking (Standing and sitting)
    • Potion Drinking (I am however unsure on keeping this one currently.)
    • Lock Picking
    • Corpse Searching
    • If you feel like sitting cross legged on the ground you can do that as well via a hot key, also sitting on a ledge is possible (There are no checks on this so it's entirely up to you how you use it and if you wish to sit on the ground with your legs ghosting through it that's your choice :biggrin: .)
    • Wall Leaning (This may or may not be in the final version as I have no way of checking collisions without large and expensive scripts, however I do believe I will keep this and leave it similar to Sitting, which can be done anywhere with a hot key and leave it entirely upto you if you want to line it up with a wall or not... will look pretty funny leaning on thin air though.....har har har...anyway.)
    • Book Reading (Both Sitting and Standing, Reading direct from Inventory is still a work in progress.)
  • Options
    • An MCM will enable you to configure which Animated Interactions will fire and which will not.
    • Force Sheathing Weapons will by default be on but this can be turned off/
    • Combat Options include Never play Animations in Combat, Only Play Animations while Weapons are sheathed in combat and Always play Animations in Combat.

If you have any suggestions on Interactions or have any other suggestions feel free to post them here. This is largely still a work in progress, originally I was hoping for a end of month release but that won't be the case I believe.

EDIT:

Discontinued Features (Maybe added later):

• Door Activation
  • Pull Chains (You may notice Chains that are not where they were originally this is due to them being slightly moved to allow for the animation to line up.)
  • Bar Pulling (Still Searching for a suitable animation, if I cannot find one I will revert to a less suitable but 'makes sense' animation.)
  • Levers (WIP)
Edited by BotOwned

There's a couple of mods that add an eating animation to the player; Imp's More Complex Needs being the one I use.

It'd be superb if you'd create a version that lacked the eating animations.

As an idea, you could make the player, when it's looted a dead body, bend down and hover their hands over the body; the same way that NPCs do.

Another one would be when you pick up an object you bend down to pick it up.

There's a couple of mods that add an eating animation to the player; Imp's More Complex Needs being the one I use.

It'd be superb if you'd create a version that lacked the eating animations.

As an idea, you could make the player, when it's looted a dead body, bend down and hover their hands over the body; the same way that NPCs do.

Another one would be when you pick up an object you bend down to pick it up.

Well I will probably add in a way to toggle which animations you actually want, just a few extra condition checks here and there.

Ah yes looting a dead body I can do that and the pickup I can do as well. I am actually trying to figure out a simple way upon player input to cancel the animation so you can move (Jumping does this but I would like to try to add it so pressing the movement keys will also cancel the animation. Unless of course the animation supports offsetting then it will continue to play)

Another good idea is actually seeing your character pull levers. There's already an animation for floor levers and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to fake one for the other ones.

Hmm...what do you mean other ones? Chain pulls and levers that are in the walls? The chain pulls I can animate and the ones in/on the walls I could possibly animate, if I could find an animation that suited.

An idea opening/closing doors or switches actions, I love the Gothic series and in that rpgs your idea is involved, every action have an animation and the basics don't have a menu for it, for example grab food and eat, others have a real time menus just like the "sleep action", for books is a little bit different, the character grab the book and start the read animation and the pages or map view start after 2-3 seconds of retard. it wiil be great to see something of that in Skyrim, good luck.

EDIT: I almost forgot, you mentioned a very good mods about immersion, but there's something that breaks the immersion, i mean the global action flow, in these mods the work flow is:

-push the action button to activate.

-make a choise from the menu or inventory that will pop up.

- start to play the animations.

-end animation/interaction.

In my opinion a good flow of interactions would be:

-start to play the animation.

This is just a personal impression, it's a little thing, but for someone that played games just like Gothic know the different immersion experience between the normal Skyrim interaction/animation system and this suggested, again good luck with your work :)

Edited by darkgondul

darkgondul, on 29 Apr 2013 - 10:14, said:

darkgondul, on 29 Apr 2013 - 10:14, said:

An idea opening/closing doors or switches actions, I love the Gothic series and in that rpgs your idea is involved, every action have an animation and the basics don't have a menu for it, for example grab food and eat, others have a real time menus just like the "sleep action", for books is a little bit different, the character grab the book and start the read animation and the pages or map view start after 2-3 seconds of retard. it wiil be great to see something of that in Skyrim, good luck.

EDIT: I almost forgot, you mentioned a very good mods about immersion, but there's something that breaks the immersion, i mean the global action flow, in these mods the work flow is:

- start to play the animations.

In my opinion a good flow of interactions would be:

-start to play the animation.

This is just a personal impression, it's a little thing, but for someone that played games just like Gothic know the different immersion experience between the normal Skyrim interaction/animation system and this suggested, again good luck with your work :smile:

And that's where my mod is a little different through the use of perks activation entry points I can intercept the activation and replace it with my own allowing the animation to play when I want it to and for how long I want it to before the actual menu/activation takes place. I have looked at those mods that I mentioned previously too and that's one of the reasons I started this project while what they are doing is good it's just not how I envision interaction.

So the order with my Interactions is this:

-Animation Activation (Player activates the object like normal but instead of a proper activation it is intercepted and instead uses my activation scene.)

-Start Animation Play or Package Stack activation to move into position (I use Packages on the player sometimes a good example of this is that bed scene that is in the opening post you can actually sleep on either side of the bed you want just by activating it from one side or the other.)

-Automatic Activation - make choice from menu or proper activation of the object begins (Picking up of the objects, Sounds playing, Menus opening all those goodies.)

- Play an outro animation/Cancel the animation

Hm... Well in other words it's similar to how I envision interactions and the like working (Which in turn seems to be very similar to your personal impression.)

and that's how I plan to do all my World Interactions when possible.(There may be some interactions down the path that I can't do this in.)

On A side note just finished the Chain Pulling and Bar Pulling scenes as suggested (One thing with these scenes though the hand and the handle do not line up it proved too difficult to do and I am not going to go through all the Chains and Bars in the game and convert them to the NPC Furniture version as I will more then likely break something by accident, but still I have made it as close as I can without move the player), Door activation has been added as well.(Took a little bit to sync the animation and the object but got there in the end) Looking into Searching bodies, picking up and also Searching draws, chests, tables.

Edited by BotOwned