Newb - making a new race

V4Vigilante

So im trying to create a race that has an argonian tail, however the construction set says that the NIF file is uncompaitable "Invalid Directory" whenever i try adding it into the Tail model/texture slot. I extracted using OBMM, I can find the meshes just fine its just that i can't use them. Help please?

Are you trying to assign them from 'outside' of the data folder? The game is sometimes picky with folder locations. I can't remember exactly anymore which types of files were folder-restricted, but some of them were.

I for one would never put a NIF file anywhere else but under "meshes", or a DDS file anywhere outside of "textures", as I expect the CS to complain when I try to reference them from there then.

For the sake of sticking to the pattern, I'd place the tail's NIF file only inside "meshes/characters/YourRaceFolder/tail.nif" (or however it's called), and nowhere else. This is the usual place for tails, as it was so in the past for just about every tailed race in existance.

Meshes must be in Data\Meshes and Textures must be in Data\Textures. The specific subfolders within those isn't important, but you should try to group things logically. Also race-specific meshes and textures are usually placed in Data\Meshes(Textures)\characters\<insertyourdirectoryhere>

Edited by Nephenee13