someguy2000's mods - Esther's Voice  

246 members have voted

1. 1. If Esther was to be revoiced, what accent should she have?

• British (staying true to the original)
    • North American (no Brits in my Fallout game, ta' very much!)
    • Trans-Atlantic ("As if serving all their vowels on a fine set of tongs. harharharharharhar!")

Greetings folks,

I have a question for all of you someguy2000 mod aficionados (ahem... sodomites - can I still say that here?).

Now... as a little pre[r]amble, I'm not saying that a remaster of all of someguy2000's mods with audio improvements, missing lines fixed and all bugs squashed isn't coming. You know, maybe it will, maybe someday someone will remaster all of someguy's mods with his expressed permission, of course. But yeah, I'm not saying it isn't coming, it probably is. But if it is, and it definitely is, that person or team who's working on it will need to know what the SG2K mod lovers think of certain proposed changes before they're actualized.

Case in point: Esther.

As you will know, Esther is an NPC that is featured in several of SG2K's mods: The Inheritance, New Vegas Bounties II (Epilogue/bonus stuff), and finally, New Vegas Bounties III (I hope you killed her).

The main issue with Esther is that she is completely unvoiced in New Vegas Bounties III - the original voice actress likely went MIA at the time SG2K was working on it. Moreover, some mod users have, on one hand, commented on her voice in the past - not liking it or feeling that her British accent doesn't quite fit into the Fallout world. And on the other hand, some do like her British accent and will wax lyrical about Tenpenny's supposed "British" voice in Fallout 3 in order to justify Esther's accent - even though Tenpenny doesn't sound British at all. It's a pseudo-British accent portrayed by an American, but I digress...

If a team wanted to... I dunno, fix the issue of Esther being unvoiced in NVBIII, it'd of course be nice if the voice was consistent across all 3 mods. But said team may wish to find a voice actress with a different accent, perhaps a North American one, if they themselves are of the mind that Esther's British accent doesn't fit.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to know precisely what SG2K envisioned with her voice. He told me himself that he found it very difficult to find female voice actresses at the time, so perhaps he chose the original VA for Esther out of necessity more than anything else. There are some clues, however, that he may have intended for her to be British all along as she says "Bloody Hell!" a number of times in her script, a phrase that, to my knowledge, isn't widely used in the North American vernacular, if at all.

So, in this hypothetical scenario ( :wink:) to fix Esther's missing dialogue, a new voice actress would need to revoice all of her dialogue to make it consistent, but the question is, should the revoice stay true to Esther's original British accent, or should she have a generic North American accent, or perhaps the best of both worlds (sort of), a Trans-Atlantic accent? The latter accent would still give her all of that "savoir faire" feeling, I suppose. In any case, I would like to know what you fine people think.

Now... how do you add a poll on the Nexus? Ah, here we are...

Edited by Hermit85

"not liking it or feeling that her British accent doesn't quite fit into the Fallout world" - they can piss off then.

Heh! Be sure to vote on the poll, Ethreon.

I don't particularly care whether she sounds British or not, but it makes no sense for an English accent to survive in post-apocalyptic USA for two hundred years. Though I suppose you could argue that some American accents surviving doesn't make sense either.

When does the poll end?

Sometime within the next 1-2 weeks or so. I'd like us to reach at least 100 votes.

Edited by Hermit85

I'd love to lend a hand with this project. I'm that guy who ran the sg2k wiki and made a tweakpage for his mods.

My actual modding skills are really only based in tinkering atm, but I'm good at finding out what I need to know.

We could do with another tester to produce lists of bugs we may have missed.

If interested, add me on Discord and I'll include you in the group: TheHermit#3590

as someone who hasn't played the some guy mods himself, i would say it all depends on her character and her intended back story.

if she is intended to be from over seas (yes that can be a thing in-lore as multiple cannon characters are foreign) then sure, but if she is supposed to be born in the US/North America then it makes little sense for her to have a non American accent.

i would say since she is being recast it would be a good opportunity to add more details to her character, so if she remained british you could add in a line or two about her origin.

Edited by SPITSPHIRE