Vortex override of crc-identical files and notifications

turulo

It would be helpful if Vortex would just skip or at least tell if both files are exactly the same when overriding by file.

I understand that it may be tricky to display in the UI if 3 addons are changing File1.txt and that file is the same in 2 of the mods and different in the 3rd mod.

Currently I'm using the extension that uses WinMerge to compare but I need to actually click in each file to detect if the overrides are actually different files.

--

Another suggestion is in regard of the top right notification when a mod has been downloaded.

It shows the last mod but if you click the Install or Enable hyperlink, it will actually install/enable every mod that you have downloaded recently instead of the one stated in the notification.

IMHO, I find it not very intuitive and I accidentally click those quite too often.

Guest deleted34304850

It would be helpful if Vortex would just skip or at least tell if both files are exactly the same when overriding by file.

I understand that it may be tricky to display in the UI if 3 addons are changing File1.txt and that file is the same in 2 of the mods and different in the 3rd mod.

Currently I'm using the extension that uses WinMerge to compare but I need to actually click in each file to detect if the overrides are actually different files.

here's where rules are your friend.

if mod 1 and mod 2 have the exact same file then their load order doesn't matter because the end result is you get the exact same file.

if mod 3 changes that file and you want to use the version of the file from mod 3, smply create two rules

rule 1 says mod 3 MUST LOAD AFTER mod 1

rule 2 says mod 3 MUST LOAD AFTER mod 2

then, suppose for some reason you dont want mod 3's version any more.

You create two rules

rule 1 says that mod 1 MUST LOAD AFTER mod 3

rule 2 says that mod 2 MUST LOAD AFTER mod 2

You can also do the same with LOAD BEFORE in place of LOAD AFTER. Whatever suits your logic best.

"What GAME are you modding?"

Bethesda's

"i think you asked that question before. it remains completely unanswered."

Where? I can't imagine where except for a post in the "File Preview with WinMerge" vortex extension.

"here's where rules are your friend. \r\n..."

I know how vortex mod overrides work and there's nothing wrong with it. This has nothing to do with it. It's an UI thing.

I'll provide some context to weed out unrelated comments:

This is the regular dialog shown when overriding by file, currently there's no way to determine if this override is doing anything useful. This is why "File Preview with WinMerge" extension comes through providing a way to check which file needs to come on top. Most of the time tho Vortex is just overriding the same file content (crc-wise) therefore what I'm asking is a way to hide those file overrides which consist in the same file content.

48300152-8c236980-e4d8-11e8-9776-992e4bf

I could even dream and ask merge patching as an option between file overrides. There are several libraries for different languages, even for js (called json-merge-patch).

Edited by turulo

Does it matter?

Ok... I'll endulge your curiosity...

Let's say that two mods change HDT's configs.xml. The two have different's configurations, only one will win. Is that the correct outcome? No! you can live with it yes, or you can merge them and have the best of both.

That is only but one example, there are other options like comparing images, yes... WinMerge can compare pictures, even DDS (except when using more exotic compressions).

I also use it to tell me if BOTH MF'er files are exactly the same! Like nifs, or hxk, etc... when only a dedicated viewer or an hex editor could tell the difference.

So yes, that extension is very useful.

Does it matter?

Ok... I'll endulge your curiosity...

Let's say that two mods change HDT's configs.xml. The two have different's configurations, only one will win. Is that the correct outcome? No! you can live with it yes, or you can merge them and have the best of both.

That is only but one example, there are other options like comparing images, yes... WinMerge can compare pictures, even DDS (except when using more exotic compressions).

I also use it to tell me if BOTH MF'er files are exactly the same! Like nifs, or hxk, etc... when only a dedicated viewer or an hex editor could tell the difference.

So yes, that extension is very useful.

I do that OUTSIDE of Vortex using "Beyond Compare", and merge or edit accordingly

Guest deleted34304850

that's such an edge case. i'm sure you find it essential, but in all my days i've never been that bothered to go down to almost differences in byte count. but i can see a use, just not a very "general" use.

still, good discussion, i'm going to play around with a few of those tools later and see what they tell me. i am certain i am in for some surprises.