Fallout Script Extender on Wine

I got Fallout working beautifully with PlayOnLinux, but FOSE doesn't seem to recognize it's in Wine. It acts like it isn't placed in the Fallout 3 folder. Anyone run into something like this before?

edit: Based on the lack of response here and elsewhere, this seems to be an obscure problem that no one really knows how to solve or cares to find out. I guess I'll just get used to the idea of not using mods that require FOSE

Edited by MaunderingMoose

• 3 weeks later...

I got Fallout working beautifully with PlayOnLinux, but FOSE doesn't seem to recognize it's in Wine. It acts like it isn't placed in the Fallout 3 folder.

Does it give you an error message? Does it launch at all? Which Linux distro are you using? Which WINE version are you using? FOSE must be placed inside the Fallout 3 folder, otherwise it won't work at all, not even on Windows.

And I personally never got it working correctly in any WINE version or Linux distribution, nor did I find anyone claiming they succeeded to run FOSE with WINE/PlayOnLinux successfully. Basically, the problem is that whenever fose_loader.exe is executed, it finds the correct game path and begins executing Fallout3.exe according to FOSE log. Everything is in order, except that FOSE just stops working and terminates the process instead of executing Fallout 3, not even an error message popping up and log reports success.

So far I've been unable to get FOSE to work in WINE, not even once. Tried with WINE 1.3x/1.4x/1.5x on Debian Squeeze/Wheezy/Jessie, Ubuntu 12.04/12.10/13.04/13.10, Lubuntu 12.04/12.10, Linux Mint 13/14/15, Fedora 16/17/18/19 and LMDE. The game runs exceptionally well, even FOMM works perfectly but FOSE refuses to work at all. Why? I got no idea.

Actually, scratch the above, I forgot I'm currently running it with FOSE. I found a solution for the problem but forgot about it.

Anyway, if you have a problem where FOSE doesn't execute the game but appears to run (like most do), download Games For Windows LIVE Disabler and execute it. It will fail to find the Fallout 3 install folder so you'll have to guide it to it manually (mine is in /home/<user>/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Fallout3/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3). Once the GFWL Disabler window opens, disable GFWL and remove GFWL from the menu.

Once you do it, start fose_loader.exe and the game will execute with FOSE running in the background. Note that I'm running it on WINE 1.3.27 using Ubuntu 13.04, don't know if the same will work for newer WINE versions or other distros (it should though).