How to edit .utc file: Name

photonsail

Hello,

I recently figured out how to get the Toolset up an running and ready to "play". Anyway, I'm looking into how the mod 'TSM Tamlen Floaty Fix' edited the 'Name' of the creature .utc file and I don't see how it was done. I know you can check out the cam110cr_tamlen_darkspawn.utc file from the 'Single Player' module and get access to the 'General' section to edit a creature, but if you just 'Open' TSM's .utc file, it only gives access to what's called 'Top Level Struct'.

Hence, the question is - can you open an existing creature file from a mod and access the 'General' section or do you have to create a new creature from the Single Player module .utc flile and then edit it to you liking and export it to be used in somebody's mod or your own?

The reason I want to edit this .utc flie is that Qwinn has a fix for this file, so I extracted it from the .erf file and was going to just change its name and then use it in place of TSM's file in case Qwinn's file has a fix somewhere within I don't feel like searching for. So I thought it would be easier just to use Qwinn's file and fix the name and: Tada!

I'm an expert at modding Baldur's Gate, but this Toolset is another headache level! Thanks in advance! :ermm:

The toolset will crash when trying to save an edit of an exported UTC, in my experience.

To edit an exported UTC file (from a mod, or even an exported vanilla UTC), instead use TlkEdit2. I have a crappy tutorial on my blog re using TlkEdit to change NPC equipment, but the method is equally applicable to editing other aspects of a UTC.

Tutorial: How to change DAO NPC equipment - including items added by mods! - without the toolset (another kh tossed-together ‘tutorial’)

To change the on-screen display name, just expand and edit the 'LocName' substring (highlighted in this image) rather than altering the info under Equip_ItemList :

1926794-1617483119.jpg

Edited by theskymoves

Thanks theskymoves.

I'm realizing you need a small army of tools and not just the toolset to mod DA. I had TlkEdit up and running in less than 60 seconds and had a look at those files. It turns out Qwinn names this file "Tormented Ghoul", so he/she was on it! I'll take Qwinn's mod and skip the TSM fix.