Load Order...again. Other games.

yermudr
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

Valheim doesn't have a load order in my experience. It was just plug n play.

[EDITED: Had wrong quote]

Oh, there's always an order. Software parses/iterates one after another. Whatever comes last usually overwrites what came before. As long as they don't step on each other's toes (make changes to the same thing), no problem.

If they do conflict, then you need to figure out which one takes precedence (or which one you *want* to take precedence).

Which apparently Vortex does by filenames(?), since I doubt that it's actually reading the code in the mods to see what is happening.

Which is fine, when you are dealing with files.

But when you are dealing with things that are loading into the game's kernel and changing things, then just looking for filename conflicts won't cut it.

Hence the ancient software troubleshooting technique of disabling something until the problem goes away. (Which can be loads of time-consuming fun with Windows patches...thank god no one pays me to have to do *that* any more.)

in the MODS tab, look in the dependencies column

I assume you mean the mods section? The only mods tab I see is in the settings section, and it says nothing about dependencies.

But in the mods section, the columns are Status, Mod Name, Version, Installation Time, Category, Deploy Order and Actions.

So no I don't see those weird icons. :smile:

Click on the gear icon in the top right of the Mods Section and put a check in the DEPENDENCIES box

Ah. Well that's a neat trick. So blindingly obvious.</sarcasm>

Now to see if it works. :)

Ah. Well that's a neat trick. So blindingly obvious.</sarcasm>

Now to see if it works. :smile:

Gear Icons in software are always blindingly obvious as to what their function is, whoever decided to use them to represent a menu where you can change things was a genius.

Got the entire idea across with just an icon

Gear Icons and a SETTINGS menu are what I always look for first, along with Pancake Menus whenever I use a new piece of software, because I always like knowing what I can and can't change first.

You are aware that Vortex and LOOT are completely different programs that do completely different things, right?

I am indeed aware of it. Which is why I keep a separate full install of LOOT handy. That way, I can fire up LOOT separately and manually set load orders for what I want, when I want it, rather than allowing MO2 or Vortex to make all the decisions for me.

At least, I can for games that LOOT supports.

Guest deleted34304850

ok but in the midst of your rambling, you're inferring that you're trying to sort your load order for valheim with loot when its not actually required and valheim won't know about loot and vice versa. are you clear on that now? is that your issue resolved? i am really not sure what the problem is/was other than a slight misunderstanding?

also if you're using loot separately on games that require or can work with LOOT, and also using Vortex, and Autosort is enabled in your vortex setup, then you're basically making your life so much harder. if you "feel" that you running LOOT outside of vortex gives you better control (that's a fallacy but hey, whatever) then turn off autosort in vortex.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

ok but in the midst of your rambling

Oooh. Snarky. My widdle feewings are hurt. Nah, not really. Maybe if you used proper punctuation I'd take it more seriously, but thumb-typing snark is so easy any dropout can do it. :)

you're inferring that you're trying to sort your load order for valheim with loot

Incorrect. I never inferred that at all. I *specifically* mentioned (several times) "for games that LOOT supports". Are you clear on that now?

i am really not sure what the problem is/was

Obviously.

also if you're using loot separately on games that require or can work with LOOT, and also using Vortex, and Autosort is enabled in your vortex setup, then you're basically making your life so much harder

"What we have here, is Failure To Communicate." (extra m4d pr0ps points to whoever knows that quote)

I'm using MO2 for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. As I believe I already mentioned.

(You obviously didn't bother to read anything i wrote before firing up your snarky slings and arrows. You should probably get out more, it looks like the InformationSuperInterWebsHighwayNet has had a negative effect on your cognitive functions.)

At any rate, my question was answered. @HadToRegister, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Now to go through the endless misery of waiting for X4 to load see if that trick can be used to fix the problem.

Cheers!

Guest deleted34304850

ok but in the midst of your rambling

Oooh. Snarky. My widdle feewings are hurt. Nah, not really. Maybe if you used proper punctuation I'd take it more seriously, but thumb-typing snark is so easy any dropout can do it. :smile:

you're inferring that you're trying to sort your load order for valheim with loot

Incorrect. I never inferred that at all. I *specifically* mentioned (several times) "for games that LOOT supports". Are you clear on that now?

i am really not sure what the problem is/was

Obviously.

also if you're using loot separately on games that require or can work with LOOT, and also using Vortex, and Autosort is enabled in your vortex setup, then you're basically making your life so much harder

"What we have here, is Failure To Communicate." (extra m4d pr0ps points to whoever knows that quote)

I'm using MO2 for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. As I believe I already mentioned.

(You obviously didn't bother to read anything i wrote before firing up your snarky slings and arrows. You should probably get out more, it looks like the InformationSuperInterWebsHighwayNet has had a negative effect on your cognitive functions.)

At any rate, my question was answered. @HadToRegister, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Now to go through the endless misery of waiting for X4 to load see if that trick can be used to fix the problem.

Cheers!

sorry, I was just picking through your CV, while looking for your non-issue. Glad you got it sorted.

You are aware that Vortex and LOOT are completely different programs that do completely different things, right?

I am indeed aware of it. Which is why I keep a separate full install of LOOT handy. That way, I can fire up LOOT separately and manually set load orders for what I want, when I want it, rather than allowing MO2 or Vortex to make all the decisions for me.

Vortex has LOOT built in.

All you need to do it turn on AUTOSORT.

Yes, but running the full version of LOOT manually allows me to create my own create my own custom "Load After" rules for any mods I feel like moving around.

Yes, but running the full version of LOOT manually allows me to create my own create my own custom "Load After" rules for any mods I feel like moving around.

Vortex also has this functionality. Managing your load order in LOOT actually conflicts with the load order shown inside Vortex.