Building in the Void?

aurreth

As RoNin said, the biggest concern is the effect the void has when visible, and enabling the skybox as described will eliminate that issue.

Also, of note, the build volume for the Mechanist's Lair is actually made up of about a dozen build volume primitives. You can either expand the existing ones, or make new ones and attach them to the workbench.

For Mechanist's Lair I'm using a mod that expands the buildable area to the entire facility (though I refuse to use the research wing, cause it creeps me out lol). I've used TCL to wander about "outside" and there is plenty of volume. Only issue that I've run into is that trying to remove exterior walls causes a CTD. The floor, no problem, but don't try knocking down walls. I may give it a shot with "disable" later on, see if I can get my opening that way.

My main goal is to build a power armor storage/museum off of the main chamber of the Mechanist's Lair, and add a couple of additional rooms to Vault 111. I'll have to expand the 111 borders, the mod I use has them pretty tight to the existing structure. As long as I know I won't run into any weird thing where stuff I put in the new areas disappears I'm good.

Thanks for all the help!

:happy:

You really should get to 'appreciate' the CK. Doing these kind of edits to the "world' in game is way more tedious. (and it's only inside your save game, so on a next run you'll be back to default. No option to restore it too. (maybe you can save it with "transfer settlement" mod? Not sure))

BTW: Disable is the way to go. It's how Bethesda does it themselves, to make stuff 'disappear'. Inside scripts too, as objects can be referenced by scripts, quests etc. with all kinds of possible 'outcomes' if they no longer 'exist'. At least the CK will warn you in such cases)

You really should get to 'appreciate' the CK. Doing these kind of edits to the "world' in game is way more tedious. (and it's only inside your save game, so on a next run you'll be back to default. No option to restore it too. (maybe you can save it with "transfer settlement" mod? Not sure))

BTW: Disable is the way to go. It's how Bethesda does it themselves, to make stuff 'disappear'. Inside scripts too, as objects can be referenced by scripts, quests etc. with all kinds of possible 'outcomes' if they no longer 'exist'. At least the CK will warn you in such cases)

My big issue with the CK is the controls are immensely non-intuitive. A more or less standardized set of computer controls has evolved over the years, and the CK completely ignores these in favor of doing things like holding shift or using the middle mouse button (which fell out of use for the most part decades ago). Basically it is based on specialized design and 3D modelling software, which in turn is based on control sets from before the era of Windows and OSX. In other words Unix based controls, and even the various *nix flavors have mostly converted over to the common control sets. And while I'm well versed in *nix I have to actively think about what I'm doing if it uses the old three-button paradigm. If I have to think about how to use the controls I'm not thinking about what I'm trying to achieve with them, and that's just not fun.

Now, if there is a way to start with everything turned off so the display isn't so cluttered that I can navigate the cell without worrying about accidentally dragging something someplace it doesn't belong, please, let me know. Right now I load the Lair and it is so cluttered I can't tell what I'm looking at, much less zero in on the area I want to manipulate.

There is such a way, yes.

First of all there's the "show/hide" selection menu for what it will show inside the render window. Here you can turn off all those markers and stuff)

Second, but less usefull for vanilla stuff, are the layers. You can devide your stuff on (groups of) layers which you can turn on and off.

I say 'less usefull on vanilla' because it appears to me they 'scrambled' the layers rendering them useless for this case. (to make editing harder? dunno. Either that or somebody at Bethesda doesn't know how to use layers ...)

edit:

and don't get me started on controls. I've been working on, well way over 200 by now, 3D models for my own mod, both new and edited ones. Switching constantly between Blender, nifskope & CK, each with there own set ... :mad: )

But on the other side, thanks to all of them, I'm able to do all this modding to the game... so... I'm biting my tongue

Edited by RoNin1971

I'll have to learn it eventually I guess. I want to create a "Vault Empire" mod, where you can take over all the various vaults after cleaning them out. That means working out how to set them so that critters don't respawn. Would be pain to have to constantly clean out 95 after killing all the Gunners to take Cate to the detox machine and then claiming it as a settlement lol

An Empire, no less? :laugh:

Well, I'm actually working on a vault-settlement mod (at least one, maybe more, might use the 'build your own vault' approach but with some build stuff and caves. No 'void'), but there will be no need to 'claim' it (Beyond activating it the first time) for your empire :happy:

Sooo, I loaded 114, managed to turn off the clutter and navigate around to find the one offending object that you can't scrap or disable without causing white void blurring... but I can't select it, cause every time I try to click on it I get "Mist". This is what I mean by "non-intuitive". If I disable all the markers so that I only see objects I should ONLY be able to select what is visible to me.

An Empire, no less? :laugh:

Well, I'm actually working on a vault-settlement mod (at least one, maybe more, might use the 'build your own vault' approach but with some build stuff and caves. No 'void'), but there will be no need to 'claim' it (Beyond activating it the first time) for your empire :happy:

A lot of these vaults seem to be linked to a subway system. Maybe add something using that to allow for vault to vault travel?