Please, please help this new modder get some stability and sleep :-)

Sahjah5622

Hi all! 2 weeks ago, I got into the lovely habit of learning out to moderatey mod Skyrim SSE/VR and after being optimistic, it has started to turn into a nightmare.

I use Vortex and play VR on a Quest 2. It's the easiest way for me to understand what's going on, but there's still more I need to learn. After about a week, I had a workable load of around 80 mods. I wanted to change some script files due to compatibility, so I reverted back to vanilla (uninstalled, deleted remaining folders in the game directory and the documents files), and startes rebuilding again.

It was working great. Great performance, great resolution...... Steam VR was a bit sluggish at times, but it all worked until I saw that 1.) I had double installed Lanterns of Skyrim and I wanted to delete a city design mod that was just a hassle.

So here's when the problems started. I'd never run into any serious performance issues ( maybe some

resolution drops and an occasional patched vanilla asset that looked weird). After goong vanilla again, re-enabling mods from Vortex, and getting past the intro, the screen got 'shimmery,' laggy, slow, and even sometimes just buggy and offset.

A.) Mods that worked before didnt. B.) Saves that I specifically deleted by hand from the C: users/ documents/mygames/ slyrim vr folder kept showing up on clean installs, even after death........right now....... nothing other than a modless game will run well and I've no idea what to do!!!!!!!!!

1.) Am I not making the game vanilla the right way? I have the masterfiles in a zip but usually just download each time I try a fresh start.

2.) Is there anything I need to do in Vortex? My now-minimalistic mod list and stable order (according to Vortex) is completely separare from game files.

3.) No matter what I do (and I've freshly installed 4 times now), I feel like performance just gets worse and worse and files that Indelete keep coming back; my rtx3080/ i9-10900k system is not letting the quest 2 look as pretty as it did during my first attempts and no matter what mods I install, Inget a hangup now.

please help this poor soul before I lose my sanity. I just wanna have a game with some texture overhauls, neat qol additions, and expanded content and I feel like I'm cursed haha. Thanks to anyone who attempts to help me with this. As for load order: Vortex has been keeping that managed for me and I'm not even sure how to check there.

That is a great question and big oversight on my behalf :-(. No, I did not. Some of the mods that are gone now were disabled and removed without purging as well.

1.) Could the solution be as simple as a purge/ turning off Steam Cloud?

2.) What should I do about the deleted mods that weren't purged?

3.) Some mods need to be installed after Helghan, like the 'helghan reborn' mod. Are there any other recommended ones to go after?

Thanks for your reply :-)

That is a great question and big oversight on my behalf :-(. No, I did not. Some of the mods that are gone now were disabled and removed without purging as well.

1.) Could the solution be as simple as a purge/ turning off Steam Cloud?

2.) What should I do about the deleted mods that weren't purged?

3.) Some mods need to be installed after Helghan, like the 'helghan reborn' mod. Are there any other recommended ones to go after?

Thanks for your reply :-)

Since you didn't purge, Vortex believes they are still installed, and has stored that info in C:\users\YOUR NAME\appdata\roaming\vortex folder

People keep doing this and I don't know why

By just deleting the mods, it leaves the hardlinks orphaned which causes major problems, usually causing the person to have to delete the vortex folder I mentioned earlier and delete their game folders and start completely over.

Learned my lesson and did this :-). Used a save that started right near the dragon in helghan, loaded up all mods at once for a new game and they work great. I won't touch it. Resolution on VR often dips in heavily modded areas to keep framerate but that's normal I suppose.

I also wanted to make sure I knew how to backup and restore, so without removing any mod, I purged all, backed up saves, reverted to vanilla, re edited the preferences ini and out skevr and enginetoons back into the directory, re-deployed, copied saves, loaded fine. I feel like I can enjoy the game now :-). Cheers for the time. It's a lot to learn for noobs like me haha