Can't start a new game. Help would be appreciated!

TonyB500

Okay, so I wanted to start a new game on Skyrim yesterday (the PC version, and I play it on an Alienware m18x). However, when I clicked "New Game", it didn't load the new game. Instead, it stayed on the loading screen, and then the compass and cursor popped up on screen. I waited for 20 minutes and it didn't change even once. I clicked the button to open the console, and guess what? It broight up the console. So I said "What the heck?" and typed in "coc riverwood". I teleported myself to Riverwood and started the new game, but it never went to the opening cutscene and it started me out as a Nord (ugh...I ONLY play as an Argonian). *sigh*.........

The sad part? It will load one of my save files just fine, yet I can't start a new game. At first, I thought one of my mods was the problem, so I deactivated all the new ones I downloaded. NOTHING! So I deactivate ALL of my mods. NOTHING! I get a little bit frustrated and deactivate Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn, leaving myself with vanilla Skyrim. NOTHING! So with no other option left, I uninstall and reinstall the game. Guess what? NOTHING! I uninstalled and reinstalled the game two more times after that and it didn't do anything. >.<

I am at wits end here, and I have no idea what to do. Has anyone else encountered this problem? And is there any way to fix it? Because I need all the help i can get at this point.

Edited by TonyB500

I suspect that you are not completely uninstalling the game? If you are relying on Steam's delete local content, you would only be removing the vanilla skyrim, not files added by mods.

You might have a look at the STEP Guide's instructions on reverting to vanilla skyrim.

I.....did not know that. Thank you for telling me! I'll give that a try as soon as I'm able to and hopefully that'll work. ^^

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is a frustrating thing but i figured it out

1- you must have a alternative start mod ( if you have one skip to No.3 )

2- install one these ( Skyrim unbound or alternative start live another life )

3- un-install the alternative start mod

4- start a new game ( it should work if it bugged or didn't work correctly do the next step )

5- re-install the alternative start mod then start a new game.

Worked for me!! :smile:

• 6 months later...

4- start a new game ( it should work if it bugged or didn't work correctly do the next step )

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much, I was so angry because it wouldn't work.