Hi.

I'm having what I think must be a pretty simple problem, but I'm still not sure how to solve it.

Basically I've edited the race data for Dark Elves to give them a more natural skin tone instead of their blue skin tone.

Everything looks fine in the CK, but when I look at it in-game, it seems to have not worked.

The bodies seem to have been unchanged while the head seems to have been altered as desired.

I know this isn't the the classic dark face error, because I already did the ol' CTRL+F4.

The face looks fine, it's just the bodies that seem to have been left unchanged, even though they look fine in the CK.

Any idea as to why this could be?

Here's a pic of the problem:

Edited by SkinkFargle

Yep very common problem. there's loads of guides to fix this on the net. The given method is when you are in CK, in the Object Window go into the actors and find your new/changed actor, highlight it and press f4, it will export facegen files for the actor and you "should" be o after that

Yep very common problem. there's loads of guides to fix this on the net. The given method is when you are in CK, in the Object Window go into the actors and find your new/changed actor, highlight it and press f4, it will export facegen files for the actor and you "should" be o after that

Thanks for the reply, enthusiast, but I already used this technique and it seems that the bodies remain the same colour.

I'll go try again, but I'm certain I've already done this.

Coloration in-game versus in the CK is different.

I suggest using Race Menu and create a new NPC that has the skin shade(s) that you want. While there make a note of the color hex value used to create that shade. RaceMenu uses an 8 digit code that equates to Alpha, Red, Green, Blue. You'll need to convert those values to decimal to apply them to the colorforms in the Creation Kit. The alpha value corresponds with the interpolation value which you'll have to further convert from a 0 to 255 scale down to a 0 to 1 scale.

Thanks, IsharaMeradin. I'll give that a shot.

But are you absolutely sure there's no way to alter the skin of a whole race? I don't want to create just one unique NPC, but to change the skin colour of whole races.

Using the method you've recommended, I would have to edit every NPC individually, which would take an awful lot of time. I'm prepared to do it, but it seems like the method I'm attempting ought to work were it not for some error taking place.

I'm holding out hope that there's a quicker solution to this.

Well, I've tried many different ways of solving this, and I remain stumped.

Some NPCs show up as desired while others display the error. I don't know what to do.

Hmm. Try using the removeallitems console command and see if the naked body looks the way it should. Different armors/clothes apply a slightly different body type than the base naked body; they aren't just thrown over the character. Different armor and clothes types might lead to errors where others may not.

If that ends up "fixing" your problem, then you'll have to go through each and every actor that's experiencing that problem and change their default clothes type.

Considering that the face is colored in correctly, you may need something that does the equivalent of exporting facegendata, but for your body instead. Whether that's even possible, though, I'm not sure.

Hi Jacody. Thanks for the response.

I just tried this, and the mystery thickens.

Apparently the body truly is a different colour than the head, even though the head is displaying exactly as I want.

I didn't think bodies and heads had different tint data, but it seems that may be the case for some NPCs.

Now how to go about editing it is another question entirely.

See the picture below:

Whereas this one displays just as I want it to:

Weird, eh?

Weird indeed. Tell you what, there may be something else you can try. Convert the ESP associated with your mod to an ESM, use the CTRL+F4 fix, and then convert it back into an ESP; You'll need Wrye Bash (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1840/?) to do it. The basic steps are:

1. Open Wyre Bash and make sure your esp is in data folder.

2. Right click on your esp and select ''copy to esm'

3. Go into the CK, activating only the ESM Wrye Bash generated (and Skyrim.esm, of course).

4. Go to one of the bugged actors, CTRL+F4 her.

5. Load up Wrye Bash again, choose the ESM again, but this time hit "Copy to ESP"

6. Make sure the file is in your data folder, checked in your mod list, and test it out!<br />

And good luck!

Edited by jacody

I'm not sure how you are going about making the color change. I just did a test and changed the values on the colorforms assigned to the Redguard race and from what I could tell the color took across face and body. Granted I had no other mods active at the time.

There was no editing of the race, actors or anything else. Just changing the value of the colorforms used by the race.