Cyberpunk 2077: Vortex vs Fluffy (?)

WolvenBot

Hello,

Before anyone replies / reads this. These are just a few arguments made by someone (not me) why potential users would use Fluffy's Mod manager over Vortex.

PS . Ignore misspelt title for the manager Images have been updated.

1 : Well first of all it has a clean UI, very simple but also easy to see important stuff about the mod. Author, version, a small description
unknown.png

2 : Usage from a modders perspective is also simple : Setting this up is also pretty easy just a small ini file

unknown.png

3 : But what I like most about it is the addons feature with a simple line addonfor=XYZ you can turn your mod into an addon so it won't show up on the main page of the MM just after you click on the mod

unknown.png

These are basically the main points.

My question would be is there a middle road we can walk here
As for RE it seems most people use this mod manager
maybe Nexus can / Fluffy can make contact with eachother and find a solution
Edited by WolvenBot

Hey WB,

Thanks for posting this here. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. I will prefix my response by saying the following. I really like Fluffy Mod Manager and I think what FluffyQuack has done with it is awesome. This should not be considered a criticism of his work.

It really bugs me that Cyberpunk 2077 is misspelt at the top of the manager, but that's an easy fix. (Images have been updated)

To address your points:

1. UI-wise - I agree that FMM has a very clean and simple UI and I won't dispute that Vortex could use some UI/UX improvements (we already have this planned long-term). However the level of simplicity shown in FMM would probably not work in Vortex because, to put it simply, Vortex does a lot more.

2. INI file for modders - If this INI file becomes a community standard, Vortex can easily support it. Although I'd argue that Vortex is more powerful in that it doesn't need a special INI to install mods properly. We also pull all the metadata from the mod page the file came from. Vortex also has an info panel available on double click.

3. Addons feature - I'm still not really entirely clear on what this is. Vortex can install the same mod multiple times with different "variants" although this is most useful when dealing with Mod Installers. I'm guessing this is something more related to creating mods than using them? Vortex was designed primarily to help you install/manage mods, but we can definitely look at some enhancements for creating mods in future if we can scope out what is actually most requested.

O37YgcN.png

In terms of working with Fluffy, everything we make is Open Source so we'd love for anyone who is interested to contribute. You can see the source of Vortex here: https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Vortex