Build and Construction Mod

Asarjan

Hey People,

I'm planing to create my own building mod with new foundations, walls, ceilings and many more. The difference to most other mods will be the modular walls, so you can combine different outer walls with inner walls.

I want to create several different building sets. With this in mind, you can make suggestions for sets here. I can't promise to consider every suggestion, but I'll try to fit a lot of them into my mod.

Greetings

I mean there are a few modular sets already out there, Snappy Housekits and workshop rearranged to name a few, however they arent as fleshed out as one would like to be. I definitely think you should take a look at different things in Fallout 76 for instance because I feel like that game has a few more assets than what is in the game and currently available for mods. That way you can fill the gap and truly make this mod unique.

As far as suggestions go I definitely would like to see more buildings that look like they have a decent amount of care put into them, for instance Shady Sands from Fallout 1 looks like it was built by unskilled labor but it also doesnt look like these people are living in some sort of scrapheap held together by spit and duct tape. So I think you should start there.

Another suggestion I have is Quonset Huts, I think these definitely fit into the lore of Fallout and sorta general style. Im actually surprised no one has made a building set yet. As these definitely look like something that would go in the fallout universe for bunker like structures and hangars.

I actually have a ton of ideas, I just dont know to what extent your abilities are. Feel free to message me as I am pretty active when it comes to building, I could even show you what I got.

EDIT: I was actually playing Fallout 4 and I actually got a couple of ideas. You could probably add a building set similar to that of the barrack housing in Nellis Air force Base in Fallout New Vegas, like the one you find Pearl in. I think also another good addition would be Foundation pieces that look at least like they were made out of the same wood or similar wood. Pretty clean cut, with chicken wiring reaching into the ground. Similar to those in which you find in the cabins in Fallout 4.

Edited by Guest

I could think of a few, but I recommend starting with just 1.

Why?

'cause it takes a truckload of time & work (& software & knowledge). I'm currently creating a bunch of sets for vault building myself.

As i left my piracy days far behind and don't have a budget to buy 3DS 2013 (the only version compatible with the official plugin, to create .nif's, complete with collision data) it's a cumbersome and frustrating process.

You'll need:

- BA2 Extractor : to extract the archives for textures, materials and nifs.

- NifSkope : to view/edit (somewhat) a nif and export to wavefront .obj file (you'll need to make sure everything has a texture set, besides the material. As the material will not export/import down the line)

- Material editor : to view/edit/create material files.

- GIMP : for viewing/editing/creating textures

- Blender : to edit/create 3D models. (import .obj and edit, or start from scratch) - Export to .obj again. (Note: Forget about the niftools plugin, it doesn't work properly)

- OutfitStudio : No, not to create outfits, but to convert the .obj file to a 'useable' nif file.

After OS, you'll need to edit the nif with nifskope again, to get the materials/textures back in and do some conversions on the shapes, to get BSTriShapes, like the original files.

You'll need to add collision data, which you can only copy from something similar, or using multiple (you can "combine" numerous collisions to get what you need.)

For workshop items you need to add various types of connection/snap points.

Ones you get it in CK (without a CTD :happy:) you need to do some navmeshing, for floors, stairs & doors.

Lastly, create a "recipe" to add it to the workshop.

If you want your own categories for the workshop menu, there are limitations and compatibility issues to keep in mind.

I already spend 4 weeks, average 4 hours a day, on my current 'catwalk, railings & stairs' set (well, 2 actually, 'residential' and 'utility/industrial') containing around 70 items. (at the moment)

And thats just the models. Still need to do all the collisions, snap points, navmesh & recipies for all of those.

If all the above didn't discourage you already, I recommend starting with 1 set, a small one, and if you still feel like doing more after that, then come back for more ideas.

I'm sure i can get you a list of sets to build to keep you busy until FO5 releases. (2030, maybe? :cool: )

Hi RoNin1971,

don't worry, nothing will change my hobbies that quickly.

I already have all the necessary programs ... including 3ds Max 2013 (full version).

My first set is around 75% ready after a week with around 50 parts. I've been working with 3ds Max and Photoshop for many years, so creating the models (which I create from scratch) and textures doesn't take that long.

I know you just want me to know how much effort it takes to create new workshop objects. I am well aware of this :)