Voiced-dialogue's variants are gone

Title is weird, but that is the best term I came up with to summarize this one issue I'm currently having.

Normally the voiced-dialogues have several other variants to make them more diverse. Male Dunmer may greet you with "What do you want?", "Go ahead.", "Quickly, Outlander, I haven't much time.", "I will listen, outlander, but make it quick." if their disposition towards them is about 40. In my game, however, they will only say "What do you want?" and nothing else. They have one dialogue variant per situation. This affects not only the NPCs, but my character as well. I can only scream one 'hit' sound when I get hit.

I have no idea what caused this, or when this has started happening, nor I was able to find any related case on the internet. (How could you, anyway?) However, the first thought that crossed my head was that infamous A-Bomb glitch in Oblivion, where the animations in the game will go glitchy if you've played the game for certain amount of times. I figured this issue might be the similar case to that of A-Bomb glitch. So I went ahead and tried to fix my save files with Wrye Mash, but sadly, it didn't solve out the issue.

I have several mods installed. Code Patch, Patches for Purists, and Friends & Foes, although this issue happened even before I installed F&F. Played around with this save file for about 60 hours in total.

Any help would be appreciated.

try this:

before and after listening to greetings, open the in game console and type:

show Random100

and press [ENTER] key

you should see different random values

IF values tend to be the same, maybe some mod is setting that Random100 global variable improperly (normally it should happen only in the standard Main script), you could search (in Data Files folder only) for *.es? files containing the text string "set Random100 to"

Doing the console command test has revealed that my game's dialogue RNG is always fixed before and after any 'greeting' dialogues.

I've done the search as you have instructed, but no mod has the text string of "set Random100 to" although one mod contains "Random100 to". Could this be the mod modifying the dialogue RNG in my game to always be fixed?

The mod in question is the latest version(1.2.3a) of Friends & Foes. Specifically, one of the additional content that comes along with Friends & Foes called "F&F_companion.esp" has this specific text string.

• 3 weeks later...

Doing the console command test has revealed that my game's dialogue RNG is always fixed before and after any 'greeting' dialogues.

I've done the search as you have instructed, but no mod has the text string of "set Random100 to" although one mod contains "Random100 to". Could this be the mod modifying the dialogue RNG in my game to always be fixed?

The mod in question is the latest version(1.2.3a) of Friends & Foes. Specifically, one of the additional content that comes along with Friends & Foes called "F&F_companion.esp" has this specific text string.

nah. you skipped the "set " part so what you found is changes to a legit new variable. maybe some mod messing with the dialog so instead of checking for default Random100 global variable in dialog filters it uses something else , or in theory (but not likely) any mwse-lua mod could change that Random100 variable too maybe search for writes to Random100 in .lua files too.

What you could try at this point is the good old, tedious but usually safe way: disable half mods, check if the remainders cause the error, keep going with only the half causing the error enabled until you find the culprit

• 1 month later...

Back after 3 months of not-touching Morrowind because of how demoralizing it was to deal with this bug.

It appears whenever I make a save from this very point forward, random100 value will be stuck at something for the rest of the game.

The problem is not caused by any mods whatsoever. I tried disabling every single mod I have and it is still happening, but happens only when I make a new save and load up that save file.

So from this point on, I cannot make a save file and expect my game to not to be filled with NPCs and my character's saying only one voiceline ver occasion. This is very demoralizing.

I suppose there's no fix for this, other than starting a new game and hope this one wouldn't end up in a same fate...

Do you get a message or an error in the Warnings.txt file (found in the Morrowind folder)?

If you do then I suggest that you remove Friends & Foes and start a new game, just to see if that helps. Otherwise remove both the Patch for Purist and Friends & Foe then start a new game and only install Friends & Foes.

I don't get any kind of relevant messages in Warning.txt file. At least not the things that should be relevant to this problem.

All I need is some kind of command or something to revert random100 value to be varied again - if there is such a way to do so. I'd imagine things like that would exist in this game, but honestly, expecting a common sense in this game ironically doesn't make much sense.

Edited by 438642

Uhm, this would be very strange, but the only reason I could still think about is some mod breaking the standard script that is setting the variable, which is the Main script
you could look for *.es? mods in the Data File folder containing the text string "begin main"
(you can use e.g. SearchMyFiles)
The last loaded mod changing the Main script should be the one loaded, so check if it has the proper line with the

if ( MenuMode == 0 )
Set Random100 to Random, 101
endif

if line is there, last thing you could check is if for some reason the Random function is not working as expected. You can check from the in game console .e.g. type

set ratskilled to Random 101
show ratskilled

and see if the number changes as expected when you close the console/open the console, repeat the commands (ratskilled is just another variable we use instead of Random100 to be sure the problem is not the Random100 variable changed by something else to be constant)

[EDIT] Wait, try also this (from the in game console):
startscript main
and then close console/open console / type: show Random100
(if this works it could mean some mod is stopping the main global script, so you should look for mods containing the "stopscript main" text string)

Edited by abot

I haven't found any mod that contained text string "begin main", other than the Morrowind.esm file, which isn't a mod. And 'ratskilled' value also seems to be fixed even after typing that "set ratskilled to random 101".

However, after I typed "startscript main", random100 value started to be varied again and NPCs are finally started saying something different. Despite that, I haven't found any mod that contained "stopscript main" string, so the problem isn't caused by some mods, I reckon.

Still, the issue has been solved, for now. I have a feeling this will bite my butt at some point in the near future, but I'm pretty satisfied to see something finally worked for once.

Thank you so much for all your help. Much appreciated.