[offtopic?] Modding FO4 made it impossible for me to enjoy other games.

Maybe you should take a look at Unity or Unreal, and start making your own small games from scratch.

Why reinvent the wheel?

FO4 is already a pretty good "base" to work of from ...

I kind of like the "setting", the "worldspace", ... of FO4.

(and of course, the settlement system!)

• 2 weeks later...
I know what you mean, I modded fallout 4 for a long time 2 or 3 years ago. I got a burnout that lasted for quite a long time after that. I've only picked up modding again since the beginning of 2020, when I restarted one of my large-scale mods from scratch again. One of the facts that keeps me engaged nowadays, is how much I've already accomplished in comparison to past attempts. Furthermore to keep it sort of fresh I switch between modeling, texture-editing, doing nifskope-stuff or doing CK-stuff. The only upside of a large-scale project, is that there's more opportunity to work on different types of stuff.

I know what you mean, I modded fallout 4 for a long time 2 or 3 years ago. I got a burnout that lasted for quite a long time after that. I've only picked up modding again since the beginning of 2020, when I restarted one of my large-scale mods from scratch again. One of the facts that keeps me engaged nowadays, is how much I've already accomplished in comparison to past attempts. Furthermore to keep it sort of fresh I switch between modeling, texture-editing, doing nifskope-stuff or doing CK-stuff. The only upside of a large-scale project, is that there's more opportunity to work on different types of stuff.

That is exactly what I do too!

This almost is automatically true for me. As I'm working on models a lot (as i want those finished up to a certain level). This means a LOT of switching between CK, Nifskope, Blender, Material Editor, Gimp & OutfitStudio.

...;but that only makes it more frustrating, imho. As you have to go through all of it, just to discover you missed something, or the model doesn't connect seamless, or faces are facing the wrong way, an UV needs adjusting etc.

and you need to go through all of it, again. (Getting your model from Blender to CK is a hell of a road)

I'm trying to mix it with actually playing the game, but as said before by others, I can't walk around for 5 minutes, without thinking: This would be a nice settlement, oooh, i would like that for my mod, damn i would like to change this or that, this might be an ok spot for my vault ... what's that? oh, I'm being shot at, ah that's right, I'm supposed to be playing.

(Getting your model from Blender to CK is a hell of a road)

There is this wonderful thing called 3DSMAX 2013 that official plugins for nif stuff including animations and custom collision and lots of other wonderful stuff ...

Makes getting custom 3d stuff into FO4 much less painful ...

But yeah, I agree 110% with you:

The "process" of getting a custom mesh into the game is not that hard, it is just annoyingly long ...

(I do the actual 3d modelling in another software, not in 3DS MAX itself, so that adds two more steps for me ...)

And texturing and UV mapping is really hard for me (actually UV mapping is not THAT hard "technically" but it is difficult for "organic shapes") because I am not really good with "creating good looking things".

I usually just put a "default" or "placeholder" texture on the mesh and call it "good enough for now" ...

There is this wonderful thing called 3DSMAX 2013 that official plugins for nif stuff including animations and custom collision and lots of other wonderful stuff ...

Yeah, comes with a not so wonderful pricetag & I do my best to leave my piracy days far behind :wink:

I do actually have the installation files ready to go. As i do intend to spend my 30 day trial on creating as many collisions as i can.

But i need to be sure i created all the models I'll ever need, before that. (so around the time i consider my mod done, would be soon enough, i guess :wink: )

Edited by RoNin1971

Yeah, comes with a not so wonderful pricetag & I do my best to leave my piracy days far behind :wink:

I do actually have the installation files ready to go. As i do intend to spend my 30 day trial on creating as many collisions as i can.

But i need to be sure i created all the models I'll ever need, before that. (so around the time i consider my mod done, would be soon enough, i guess :wink: )

What?

As far as I know you can't actually buy or get a trial version of 3DSMAX 2013.

And the 2013 version is the only one that will work with the nif plugins!

Now this is really getting offtopic ...

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have played another game (DayZ, a zombie survival game with a huge worldspace about 15 km by 15 km big) for a while now (a few hundret hours in the last few weeks) and it only made things worse ...

Now I am really sad / mad about the worldspace size limit that Fallout 4 has.

And it seems to be impossible to work around that ...

So now the thing that I feared the most happened:

Playing other games made it impossible for me to enjoy modding / playing FO4.

I am f#cked.

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

I spend a lot of time messing with mods and I feel like modding the game itself is a content for this game.

No other games would ever allow the gamers such freedom of changing the game itself, considering the gaming industry is becoming more "console friendly(anti-modding)" and rely on gacha to extort "lite gamers".

And the general industry move to online shared environments for social stickyness and MTX for annuity revenue suggests that end-user modding may have a limitied lifespan. Hey ho, next hobby.