Need some help with ENB and textures

Kuboxy

I've been playing and modding Skyrim for a while now, but since I am a complete ignorant when it comes to computer specs and all that, I've always tried to stay away from cool textures mods and ENBs, since I really do not want to have frame drops. All I'm basically using, environment wise, are small mods (e.g. Better Grass, Snow, etc) that, while making the game better looking, doesn't have that "Omph" effect that bigger mods provide.

I'd like to know what people would recommend, according to my PC specs (that I'll post at the end). I've got ideas myself though, like dropping every texture mods and replacing them with Climates of Tamriel and an ENB of choice, but I don't want to start downloading lots of stuff just to end up with not using them because I lag.

So, my computer specs :

Processor: Intel® Core i5-2300 CPU 2.80GHz, 2801 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
Ram: 4.GB

Operating system : Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

If there's anything else you need to know (ex : more specs, I'm really not sure what to post and not :confused: ), just ask, and I'll do my best to answer it. Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help a computer noob :biggrin: make his game better!

It all depends on how much you want to spend, but I would consider upping your Porcessor to an i7, increase RAM to 12GB and spend as much as you dare on a more recent graphics card and you should we well inside the specs required for most mods out there.

I've been playing and modding Skyrim for a while now, but since I am a complete ignorant when it comes to computer specs and all that, I've always tried to stay away from cool textures mods and ENBs, since I really do not want to have frame drops. All I'm basically using, environment wise, are small mods (e.g. Better Grass, Snow, etc) that, while making the game better looking, doesn't have that "Omph" effect that bigger mods provide.

I'd like to know what people would recommend, according to my PC specs (that I'll post at the end). I've got ideas myself though, like dropping every texture mods and replacing them with Climates of Tamriel and an ENB of choice, but I don't want to start downloading lots of stuff just to end up with not using them because I lag.

So, my computer specs :

Processor: Intel® Core i5-2300 CPU 2.80GHz, 2801 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

Ram: 4.GB

Operating system : Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

If there's anything else you need to know (ex : more specs, I'm really not sure what to post and not :confused: ), just ask, and I'll do my best to answer it. Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help a computer noob :biggrin: make his game better!

Like you, my pc is not that all great to run tons of mods like alot of people can, so what I did first, was look for ENB's that didn't hit hard on my fps and also looked good. I tested alot to find one that met both requirements. After that, I tried some textures too see how far I could push it, without sacrifincing too much. Also, people that run with tons of mods only do it so to take screenshots, in most cases, it's almost impossible to play with too many effects together.

I remember a guy by the name of Shunreal, he's screenshots were amazing, and his computer specs were also impressive and still, when he fired everything up to take a ss, he said he's fps would drop from 60 to 10.

So, in the end, it all depends on what you want, be able to play with somewhat good looking graphics, or just take ss to show off.

If you allow me, those are my favorites ENBs: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24828//? http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15425//? http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30158//? http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/21123//? http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15105//? and sadly the one that I'm using atm was removed by it's creator.

I would recommend doing the .ini edits found here, to help get a little more out of your system. It's a bunch of tweaks for multi-core systems.

Not everyone can updated to big shiny i7s with 12GB RAM (and that's not even really needed - I have a 'big' shiny i5-2500 3.3GHz with 8GB RAM, a 550 Ti 1GB, and have been playing on ultra with pretty much all the major texture replacers and an ENB with SSAO), so most of us have to make do with what we have. If you can get at least 4GB more RAM, it will help, though.

Try out ENBs (my recommendation: Project ENB), and if they're too much for your system, try other mods/utilities such as FXAA (my choice before I got an ENB), or mods like Realistic Lighting Overhaul, RCRN or Imaginator. They can be used to edit the colour palette and stuff, without using as much system resources as an ENB.

This is my combo:

Climates of Tamriel (better lighting and color outdoors)

Enhanced Lights and FX (better lighting and color indoors)

And Skyrim Enhanced Shaders Classic (This does not have all the fancy effects of any of the recent ENB presets. But it won't kill your frame rate and gives light a nice volumetric feel and can be adjusted to your taste.)

My pc's specs are nothing to brag about either, and I can run this for normal gameplay reasonably well. I agree that looking into a little more ram probably wouldn't be a bad idea (and like Jeir implied, anything over 8 gigs would be overkill)..... on a 64Bit system Skyrim can use a maximum of 4GB ram. Naturally, you will have ram being eaten up by just running the operating system, which leaves less for Skyrim. This is more related to game crashes than lag, however. Buuuut decent ram would be a relatively inexpensive improvement you could make to your pc.

• 2 months later...

I need some help as well. I have tried project enb and sharpshooters enb but both made my frame rate drop to around 12, even on the lowest settings.

My system specs are

Intel® core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz

12GB RAM

64 bit operating system

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M graphics card

And this on the the alienware m17x laptop

Any suggestions?

The only obvious thing that springs to mind is that laptop users should always use the Injector version of ENBseries as the wrapper version (on laptops) apparently doesn't recognise the "good" GPU and uses the basic video adaptor instead - hence performance loss. At least that's what I keep seeing mentioned here on the forums.