How Are Mods Installed for Skyrim VR Using Vortex?

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been answered already. I'm a little confused on how mods are installed for Skyrim VR using Vortex, I'm aware most SE mods will work in VR, but in Vortex, Skyrim VR is it's own managed game, however, when installing a mod from Nexus using the Vortex option, it installs it under SE and the mod doesn't show up under the mods tab for Skyrim VR.

Is there something I need to do to make the mods install under Skyrim VR? Skyrim VR is the one currently being managed by Vortex.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

STOP !_!

Install MO2.

+1 for MO2

----
// Why MO2 is better than Vortex:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/n0zzdp/whats_with_the_cult_around_hating_vortex/
" Anyone can understand the simple drag and drop system MO2 has, compared to the deployment and rules-based system Vortex has. Deploying is just a waste of time, and all those rules accomplish is making it super easy to get cyclic interaction errors. Then they're presented with that ridiculous flowchart screen which is supposed to help them resolve the cyclic interaction.
This is exactly it. And this thing about flowcharts reflects a larger issue with how Vortex presents conflicts to the user: the rules-based approach mis-represents the "reality" of how conflicts work as far as the game is concerned, and this unnecessary abstraction makes it harder to understand (or explain!) why things aren't working. That kind of blew my mind, never thought about how mo2's structure (and xedits) has helped me understand modding. inclusion of xEdit may really be the bigger thing. MO2's UI represents it pretty well, but if I'd never seen it in xEdit, I wouldn't have been able to say that about MO2 in the first place. The mirroring of the game logic in the tool is helpful, so having multiple tools do it made it easier to learn for me. I don’t even sort with LOOT because using Mod Organizer has given me such a great understanding of load order that I don’t need it, it would probably mess up the stability of my game. It makes you a smarter user. I was stubborn and stuck with vortex but always had problems vortex disabling plug ins that werent causing any problems. Then I heard how you can launch from MO2 without having to deploy all the damn time. I haven't used it yet since. The issues I ran into using vortex were that I couldn't really solve my user errors easily, managing conflicts and my load order was so obtuse and non-functional that I was unable to fix it. And when I switched to MO2 that problem was completely non-existent/trivial, so it doesn't surprise me that peoples first recommendation is too ditch Vortex, since that's what I did recently and would recommend the same. I started with Vortex because it’s more user-friendly than MO2, and modding on its own is tricky enough to get a handle on without also trying to learn a daunting piece of software like MO2. But once I understood the fundamentals of modding and needed more control over my mod interactions and load order, Vortex didn’t cut it anymore. Switching to MO2 wasn’t easy, with all its unfamiliar features and different interface. But now I can’t imagine being stuck with Vortex’s 'we know better than you do' approach to organizing mods and resolving conflicts. Once you learn how to use it, MO2 seems more intuitive than Vortex, not less, and it’s definitely a powerful tool for modding. For anyone on the fence, I say switch! Once you get over the initial learning curve of MO2 you’ll have no regrets. Vortex throws a fit when you imply that it's ordered your mods incorrectly. The system for manually modifying load order in vortex is terrible. Vortex's lack of tools and depth were a deal breaker for me eventually. Mainly these two:
Can't change installation load order, which means you can't do fine tuning of texture and other assets priority.
Can't do multiple profiles. This is the biggest nope for me, as I like to experiment with different setups.
Also the conflict resolution line-to-point thing in Vortex is probably the most confusing (to change load order). The way MO2 highlights everything nicely feels way more intuitive. I honestly just think MO2 is easier to use. Vortex has too much 'automation' for my taste, which causes a lot of complications in a larger modlist when you to manually change mod position you must change the mod index in the plugin tab, not intuitive at all and sometimes won't go where you want it to go depending on what rules you already have set up. It’s not a simple drag and drop. You have to manually write in an list number or FE code. Something you can get by looking at the LOOT list order. I would say the ux (user design/interface) of each mod manager is tailored to a different subset of users, but vortex' is definitely more limited in that regard due to mo2 having modular panels you can open and close/hide and everything being in front of you instead of having to switch tabs constantly and open submenus. When ever I use Vortex I get way more crashes and conflicts than I do with MO2. So ironically, I spend more time trying to fix it than I would setting up mods on MO2. MO2 just allows more user control and helps visualize how the mods work with each other. Vortex gives you prompts you just need to point and click, but MO2 you kinda just need to understand everything to use it. It's not as intuitive. Vortex easy for everyone, MO2 easy for vets."

Edited by ntblood

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, I didn't see this until now.

Although I understand your opinions on the matter, it didn't answer my question.

Although I'm not sure about the installation load order, I can assure you that you can have multiple profiles as I use multiple myself for Skyrim.

I've never had an issue with Vortex besides this one I'm asking for help with now; I find the flow chart design to correct cycle errors and the ability to control the mods load order along with creating rules for the plugins extremely user-friendly.

I do however understand that it's all based on personal preference; I say this because Mod Organiser 2 is specifically designed to work with 64-bit games and if you feel that would be best, then go for it! But I very much have a loyalty complex, once I'm introduced to something, I tend to stick with it and it's very difficult to pull me out of it. It took me almost 2 years to move from Team Speak to Discord, it's the reason I still use AMD even though I can afford NVidia, and why I use Steelseries even though I can get Razer; it's a curse... But it's my curse.

But this is why I use Vortex and why I'm fairly proficient with it, still though, there are things I just don't know.

• 3 weeks later...