Best Way To Avoid Settlement Building?

Zanderat

I know that this has been probably been beaten to death. But the first time I played FO4 I ended up rage quitting in boredom. Now I want to retry (mostly to play a couple of mods) and just do the MQ (and skip the Minecraft stuff). What is the best way to do this? Is it even possible? Thanks.

Just don't do it, just continue on.
You don't have to build settlements.

Help the idiots at Concord, and then you never have to go back to Sanctuary ever again.

That's about all I remember of it, I installed FO4 3 years ago because I got sick of, and never finished it.

Right now, I'm having fun playing Wizardry 8 instead.

Wizardry 8 is great. A classic. My avatar might be clue as to how I feel about it............ :cool:

If you really want to do the Minutemen, just have a bunch of items in your inventory and build the necessary objects in Sanctuary. After that you don't need to think about it again.

Otherwise ignore Concord altogether

Absolutely possible. I've skipped settlements on many playthroughs, sometimes even ignoring Concord completely or just telling Preston sorry can't help. I find a good house mod as a base and quest or explore from there. Or sometimes just use the Commonwealth Express Courier Stations to sleep in and drop off stuff which is great since they are all connected. You won't have to build any settlements with the Brotherhood, or just claim one for that one quest with the Railroad.

If you still want to go the Minutemen route, just plop down the item from All-in-one Settlement Solution so you don't have to build anything. When you have a quest to put up a recruitment beacon, build it to advance the quest, and then destroy it. Can also use No Settlement Attacks to avoid that.

Some good feedback. The first time (and only time) I played FO4, I was under the impression that they were the main part of the game. It appears that I was wrong. Thanks everyone.

There is no main part of the game, or at least not one that you're required to choose like it or not. It's really up to you and your playstyle as to what the focus is. I mean, sure, if you want to "finish" the game you need to complete certain quests, but you're not forced on them.

Do you like the settlement building? It's there for you and you can spend hundreds of hours on it. Hate it? You can ignore it entirely.

Are you a lore fanatic? There is so much to read and discover it's ridiculous. Hate reading that stuff? The vast majority can be completely ignored.

Love exploration? Feel free to just wander around poking your nose into things. A simple hatch in the floor of a shack may cover an entire underground tech complex. There's a lot out there to find and explore, and not all of it is marked by a map icon. Hate it? Just follow that main quest. I mean, personally I don't see what the point is of playing this kind of game if you're only going to do the main quest, but to each their own....

Do you love story? No, I'm not talking about the main quest, I mean the story of the world. Look around, follow those radio signals, open each door, and see what little nuggets of story have been left everywhere. This isn't stuff that is forced on you; there's nothing to click or that gets highlighted. It's the way a few skeletons were positioned, and maybe a journal or an unsent letter, that kind of thing. Some of it is downright heartbreaking. But little of it affects the game, and if that's not what you're into you can pretty much ignore it.

Like combat? Blast away. Very little can't be resolved by blowing it up one way or another. Hate combat? Well, you probably can't avoid it, but there are certainly ways to minimize it.

Add to that the possibilities that mods provide, and you can make the game pretty much whatever you want it to be.

I had 1500 hours invested in FO4 until I burned out, and in those 1500 hours, I actually made it to the Institute ONCE (I still haven't finished FO4) (or Oblivion, and Skyrim) because I purposely ignore the main story because I know Bethesda's Main stories can be on the short side, so I purposely drag them out (Apparently in some cases, like Oblivion, to a decade or more)

I spent most of my time in Sanctuary making this complex series of ground mounted conveyor belts so no matter where I was in the settlement, I could drag a body onto a nearby conveyor belt and it would get brought to the machines that would process the bodies into 'parts' and dump them in the workbench.

The ONE game where I didn't do that, is the game where I got to the institute and thought, "Wow, that was kind of fast", so I wandered off and started building settlements and never went back to the Institute

It's basically what I do in Skyrim too, I do the main quest until I have to infiltrate the Elf House Party and leave what's her name waiting for me forever in Riverwood