The Ultimate Fix for Bloated Saves (Freezing Lag)

Zaatch

Fix for Bloated Saves

Well, some peoples are having the bloated save problem, that causes the lag for some seconds. This lag is caused by the huge size of the file, 60mb, 80mb, 100mb... So, I was having that problem and searched for days for a tutorial of how to fix it, with no results.

Recently I discovered that some mods have the scripts working, even if you aren't using it.

So here is the fix:

Delete ALL scripts from C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts, and install all scripts of good mods that you really want to use. This will help if you having the freezing lag, that freezes your game for some seconds.

This decreased the size of my saves from 65mb to 26mb, what is a great value, and now my Skyrim is running smooth.

Clearing out the script folder can completely destroy your save game!

26MB is still huge, a normal fully modded skyrim save is around 6MB,

You probably have SKSE installed... do this as well;

In folder: Data\SKSE create a file called SKSE.ini

Open this file and add this;

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

Save & Close the file

This will (however slowly) try and remove scripts for your save game of inactive mods.

Test this; start a new game (for test)

Run around Helgen, go a bit Dragonreach... make a save game --> Compare sizes... should be small (then your game is fine) if it's huge as well one (or more) of your mods is pretty bad and causing your save games to bloat up.

• 3 months later...

ok, any help is well appreciated. I am so new to this and so lost. I am reading on another site that my Skyrim folder size is normal at 7.30GB? To me that sounds crazy bloated! Am I checking it right?

Im on my first pc game here. My first round of Skyrim got to over 150MB with only 4 common Nexus mods, no DLC and nothing uninstalled ever.

I used the SKSE fix and it brought my save down to 40MB before I cleared out everything and reinstalled. At first investigation, I suspected BYOH mod, however I do not have that installed this round and lo and behold...

My new game folder stayed at 12MB for my first 100 hrs of play then, after installing Hearthfire & HF patches, it jumped to 7.30GB! In one day. Now even my backup folder, that only has patches on it, is 5.58GB!?

Is this a computer problem, a steam problem or even a problem at all?! Looking through my Skyrim folder, I see every file size is in the KB's now.

Someone told me that a 7GB Skyrim would shatter time and space and that it's impossible.

My Skyrim properties says 7.30GB (7.841,343,814 bytes) contains 1,774 files, 241 folders.

So, Time and Space still exists, just not in my Skyrim.

Actually, my game runs still, it just stutters sometimes.

Im sure it will explode my pc at any minute. Please help!

Edited by LoveMeSomeUlfric7

you can ignore skyrim folder size.... mine is 46.6 G

Thank you so much. Prod80!!

I just found my save file, which I guess I never actually checked before. lol.

Its 56 MB's though, so I guess it is bloated after all :sad:

I am so lost, I had been putting the .ini file in my data folder the whole time!

It's in SKSE now.

ok, maybe now my computer wont self destruct.

Thank you again for guiding a lost soul. I really appreciate it.

Edited by LoveMeSomeUlfric7

• 4 months later...

One of the major problems with Skyrim is the autosave in game settings. Uncheck all autosaves, while walking, waiting, etc. The autosave is a major screw up for the game and causes a lot of crashes. Manually save your game w/o the annoying autosave. The autosave can cause freezing, crashes and generally annoying game play. Another issue, stop RUNNING all of the time, stop fast traveling all of the time use the carriages to move about Tamriel. Sometimes the game just cannot handle the instant changes you expect reloading cells, etc by running, fast travel, etc.. Walk most of the time, because the game cannot handle constant spells, shouts, etc w/o cool down recoup or the constant fast speed of expecting instant change. You have MODs, you have more change in each cell. Slow down, Scotty cant beam you everywhere without the game catching up to the changes you expect instantly. I have a game entertainment laptop, it works fine as long as I don't FORCE everything instantly with Mach 5 speed. I have 8Ram, no problem. Just slow down.