Does Vortex cause game breaking glitches with OOO?

Hazmatchris539

I haven't played the game in months and even deleted all my save files in absolute frustration. But I need to ask this question on whether or not if Vortex is the right mod manager for Oblivion. I understand that the game is 15 years old and Vortex is probably not programmed to handle outdated games like Oblivion very well, however I don't understand how it could destroy a mod this terribly. Basically I was playing the game with the modern OOO and I eventually get to the newly added questline "Shadows in a Struggle for Power" and in the past have had problems with the "Smugglers and Slavers" quest, I do everything the first stages want me to do and have everything completed but only up to a certain point because there are functions or events that just don't work. For example, in the Slavers and Smugglers quest, I find all of the camps and I try to rescue all the smugglers but every time I try to either pickpocket the gate keeper for the key, it's not on him or anyone else. And if I kill everyone there at the camp, the quest doesn't progress at all. I've followed the walkthrough and asked countless questions on the mod page to no avail. I eventually just cheat my way through and use the console to complete the quest only to have no benefits whatsoever and not being able to trade with the smugglers afterward. And now with the Shadows in a Struggle for Power, I get to the point where I go through the dungeon and find the giant green gem near the end. In order for the quest to progress, I have to pick up the gem but no matter what I did, I couldn't pick it up. The pick up button did absolutely nothing... I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling OOO, validating my game files, even tried loading an earlier save to do it all again but no dice. I even tried to get it through console but every time I tried to pick it up through console, it just crashes the game. And at that point I ended up giving up and just purging everything and stop playing it all together. So is Vortex just the wrong program to use? Am I doing something wrong? Is something broken? If anyone has an answer or a solution, please let me know.

Guest deleted34304850

vortex is a mod manager. it manages mods.

it doesn't cause anything in and of itself. your mods, however, are another story. if the're not installed correctly they will break your game.

I haven't played the game in months and even deleted all my save files in absolute frustration. But I need to ask this question on whether or not if Vortex is the right mod manager for Oblivion. I understand that the game is 15 years old and Vortex is probably not programmed to handle outdated games like Oblivion very well, however I don't understand how it could destroy a mod this terribly. Basically I was playing the game with the modern OOO and I eventually get to the newly added questline "Shadows in a Struggle for Power" and in the past have had problems with the "Smugglers and Slavers" quest, I do everything the first stages want me to do and have everything completed but only up to a certain point because there are functions or events that just don't work. For example, in the Slavers and Smugglers quest, I find all of the camps and I try to rescue all the smugglers but every time I try to either pickpocket the gate keeper for the key, it's not on him or anyone else. And if I kill everyone there at the camp, the quest doesn't progress at all. I've followed the walkthrough and asked countless questions on the mod page to no avail. I eventually just cheat my way through and use the console to complete the quest only to have no benefits whatsoever and not being able to trade with the smugglers afterward. And now with the Shadows in a Struggle for Power, I get to the point where I go through the dungeon and find the giant green gem near the end. In order for the quest to progress, I have to pick up the gem but no matter what I did, I couldn't pick it up. The pick up button did absolutely nothing... I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling OOO, validating my game files, even tried loading an earlier save to do it all again but no dice. I even tried to get it through console but every time I tried to pick it up through console, it just crashes the game. And at that point I ended up giving up and just purging everything and stop playing it all together. So is Vortex just the wrong program to use? Am I doing something wrong? Is something broken? If anyone has an answer or a solution, please let me know.

I wrote an article on this, using Vortex with Oblivion Mods.

The problem is, that older mods aren't packaged for a mod manager because Mod Managers were just starting out, so there wasn't a consistnet way to package them yet.

Vortex and Oblivion, an experiment