.NET Script Framework's Common Crashes and Fixes

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

Mipasa

Mipasa

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 823 posts
Just a simple Q regarding CTD,  now I have noticed alot of people having issue in general when modding not only skyrim sse but all modding games.
For me yes I have been there, but it stopped around 2 years ago and I have had very few CTD and if I have a CTD mostly cos I am a idot just tossing something into my loadorder. My rules before even starting a new setup is always a clean game installment, run it one time then install F4se run it one time just to see if F4se is working after that I bloody clean the base game with XEdit, which I have have seen alot of people don't do which is just stupid.
To my Q, how do people save there game. I use console save it's not fast way to save, but it just saves me alot off headache, last build run 300+ hours without any bloated savegame. I regular clean my saves but sofar theres been nothing to clean cos they are 100% clean 

enchongerz

enchongerz

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
In response to post #93844138. #93849028 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

I think it was the shadow scene bug as I was able to complete the dungeon without crashing. Thank you so much. What we need know is a fix for script latency that's giving fps drops. Thanks alot for the help. 

SusanStrong

SusanStrong

• Premium Member
  • 12 posts
In response to post #93882088.

Spoiler

-I use vortex and when i have a majer Bug i test each mod, individualie or in combination with other in another profile and save.
-If you use NetScriptFramework you can look in to the log. And follow the guid frome thise Awosome Mod Page.
-If you uninstalle Mods use ReSaver or a Save game script cleaner
-clean your DLC
-Watch GamerPoets videos about Skyrim: e.q.  xEdit || How to Clean Mods & DLC
-when i installed and uninstalled a lot of mods i make a clean and fresh install of the game: Skyrim Special Edition || Clean Installation ||
also sorry for bad english

nwn9

nwn9

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
Wonderful idea to post a manual like that. It's enormous potential is plainly visible.

I want to contribute something: a crash that saps the hell lot of life from me, occurring every time an NPC uses the spell Flames. Look up the crash log, maybe you will be able to figure something out.

https://pastebin.com/0vjaqA5C

tsalbmrots

tsalbmrots

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
a

Edited by tsalbmrots, 01 May 2021 - 11:55 PM.

tattwood

tattwood

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
In response to post #93844138. #93849028, #93887903 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

This is a great result! Thanks for the feedback, because the results are used to improve help to other users.

Your results suggest that "unofficial fix" for the shadow scene bug (even though your crash log didn't mention the "shadow scene" per se) has worked! This is huge!!!!!!

To diagnoise the problem in your case, I noticed that the "camera=null" and "world root camera" was mentioned, as well as "BSMultiBoundRoom=null", which I've seen before in other people's logs who were experiencing the same crash. Therefore, the "shadow scene" bug may not always be mentioned in the log, but is derived from the same game engine fault. Thankfully, the fix by  fg0nexusmods does seem to provide a solution to this type of problem.

Regarding your "script latency" giving "fps drops", I think these are separate issues with separate solutions.

If you have "script latency" (when you have a heavily modded setup with a lot of scripts), then it is beneficial to increase the amount of time the game engine allocates to processing them. Otherwise, you end up with script build up and lag as scripts are queued for processing, because they aren't being processed in good time. A symptom of this, can be seen when you open a followers inventory (scripts are used to populate the inventory before displaying it). If it take several seconds to open a followers inventory (for example, i've found the Vilja follower has a lot of scripts executed to calcuate her inventory, and can take many seconds to view it), then you can prevent slow inventory opening by adding the following line to Skyrim.ini (it also alleviates script processing lag in general).

[Papyrus]
fUpdateBudgetMS=2

The vanilla Skyrim default is 1.5. But this value is set for the vanilla game. So when you add lots of mods containing scripts to the game, this really needs to increase in order for them to be processed by the game engine. Otherwise, you end up with increasing amounts of lag, and potentially an unstable game as papyrus starts discarding queued scripts that can't be process in good time.

To increase your fps in general, then ensure you don't have other processes going on the the background. For example, ensure you put an exclusion on the "Skyrim special edition" directory, to prevent the anti-virus scanning files when the game loads them. Turn off background tasks like Skype, set steam into "offline" mode, and close all internet browser windows before playing. They all eat up memory and execute background processes, which take away processing time from the game. Also, if you have any very large textures, like 4K or 8K or higher, then it is worthwhile scaling them down using tools like Cathedral Assets Optimizer, because these large textures take time to load when dynamically loaded, which causes framerate drops as the data is loaded from disk. The smaller a file is, the faster it is loaded, and the faster the game can use it. 

Edited by tattwood, 01 May 2021 - 01:36 PM.

tattwood

tattwood

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
In response to post #93874188.

Spoiler

I think it is too difficult to provide a list of mods which specifically produce the shadow scene bug, because it seems to be a game engine bug that can be triggered by mods or a combination of mods. Here's a few examples of the logs when this bug has occurred.

Possible relevant objects (8){[   0]    NiCamera(Name: null)[   0]    BSLightingShaderProperty(Name: null)[  42]    BSTriShape(Name: `COBwEB`)[  46]    BSTriShape(Name: `wet`)[  80]    NiCamera(Name: `WorldRoot Camera`)[ 157]    NiCamera(Name: null)[ 177]    BSMultiBoundRoom(Name: null)[ 179]    BSMultiBoundRoom(Name: null)}
A second example;
Possible relevant objects (6){  [   1]    ShadowSceneNode(Name: `shadow scene node`)  [   5]    BSFadeNode(Name: `skeleton.nif`)  [  41]    NiCamera(Name: `WorldRoot Camera`)  [  80]    NiCamera(Name: null)  [  98]    BSMultiBoundRoom(Name: null)  [ 100]    BSMultiBoundRoom(Name: null)}
Third example;
[list=1][ 1] ShadowSceneNode(Name: `shadow scene node`)[ 5] NiBillboardNode(Name: null)[ 39] BSFadeNode(Name: `skeleton.nif`)[ 42] NiCamera(Name: `WorldRoot Camera`)[ 81] NiCamera(Name: null)[/list]
Notice in the first example, there is no "shadow scene" in the log, and it occurs in a dungeon. However, the first two examples are the same bug. Further, the "BSMultiBoundRoom" is mentioned, and sometimes it is not. I think it is mentioned when the shadow scene bug occurs in a dungeon (the first two examples). When it is related to a "face light mod" (or something which has a feature that lights the face, like OStim), then there is no BSMultiBoundRoom, and only the camera  and skeleton mentioned (the last example). However, note it seem to have nothing to do with skeletons like XPMSE. The skeleton is only mentioned because the shadow is derived by the skeleton, but the skeleton itself isn't the cause. It is the shadow rendering which causes the crash.

If you are looking for a solution to this bug, then try this...

http://fg.wzff.de/ne...ineFixes_fg.zip

This is an unpublished update to the "SSE engine fixes" mod, curtesy of fg0nexusmods , which seems to fix this type of crash.

Edited by tattwood, 01 May 2021 - 01:59 PM.

aristotle99

aristotle99

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
In response to post #93874188. #93894483 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Thanks so much for this detailed answer :)

UPDATE:  I've since installed the above update to SSE Engine Fixes and the result is frighteningly good.  If you read the attached notes, fg0nexusmods solved 3 CTD bugs in that update.  I can't remember playing Skyrim with this many plugins (523 and still loading) without  a crash.  I'm almost crying :)

Someone should tell fg0nexusmods to publish that update on Nexus.

Edited by aristotle99, 15 May 2021 - 08:38 PM.

Fikthenig

Fikthenig

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
In response to post #93882018.

Spoiler

Thanks for your contribution. I will consider many of the crashes you stated above. From what I can see, Honed Metal SSE is just too unstable in my opinion to be used as it is differs from the original in a few ways. It requires SKSE, yet does not have a dll file like the original. On top of that, the original has been updated recently with many improvements to speed and stability while SSE hasn't. My suggestion for that one would be to make sure SSE engine fixes is updated to the latest. Many others have stated issues with Honed Metal and SSE engine fixes alone. This is pointing to a script memory issue. Sacrilege's incompatibility with crafting mods that don't use animations will be noted. Vitality mode is a script heavy mod and can contribute to the famous CTD on save bug.

Godspeed

Edited by Fikthenig, 01 May 2021 - 06:34 PM.

Fikthenig

Fikthenig

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
In response to post #93892573.

Spoiler

Could you please post the full script log? It is hard to discern what could be the issue without it.

Thanks and Godspeed!!!!

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.092 seconds