Help with SSEEdit and modding in general

beboid

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I want to preface it that I have never actually made a mod or anything like that.

I have mostly spent my time reverse engineering other peoples work and trying to figure out how stuff works.

So, I have 2 questions mainly.

1. How would one go about not giving equal chances to items on a leveled list, let's say I want some item to appear 3/4 of the time and the other 1/4.

An Idea that I got would be adding 3 records for the first item and one for the second but I think there has to be a better way?

Second part of question one is how to make a NPC type wear either one outfit OR the other but not a mashup of both.

I've noticed I can't add more than one outfit so I'm not sure how to achieve this.

The particular scenario which I am looking at is giving forsworn mages a 50% chance to wear an outfit from a mod and 50% to wear their default thing.

(Also one weird thing I've noticed there are outfit templates for forsworn mages and archers but everyone uses the melee one? I might just be mistaken)

2. Are there any good tutorials for modding Skyrim SE in general which you could personally recommend?

Thank you all!

If I were you I would go here and ask a question or two about what can be done or not be done in TESxEdit.

Also, check the modding tutorials that exist on AFK Mods for more information.

Thank you for your kind answer, I will try posting there!

1) The way you stated is the way to do it. Not real secret, hidden, tech.
Another thing you can do, for instance, you created a bunch of dragons that are exactly the same stat wise but they look different and you want them to NOT have a greater chance of being selected, create a new list called listDragonX and add that to the main lcharDragon list.

2) gotta make one levelled item list with all the clothing options and another list with all the alternate clothing options, set the option Use All on both lists. Make another list that hold the two lists you just made and add that to the NPC's Outfit.

Personally, best tutorials were other people's mods or the base game itself. If there is something I don't like about the a mod or the base game, I find something similar or figure out how it works and change it.